IGNORED

Viboritas: A game I made as an 11-year-old kid.

Hi all.

I made this game when I was a kid (age 11 in 1990) and I had forgotten it completely. I got the 2K binary from an old disk image and adapted it to be playable on Colecovision.

You can read a full article on how I reverse-engineered it as it was fully coded in Z80 machine code, directly to the metal. In the process I discovered a 34-year-old bug.

https://nanochess.org/viboritas.html

The source code and ROM is available from https://nanochess.org/archive/viboritas.zip

Enjoy it!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Cool story. When we coded ZX81 games in assembler, it was pretty similar... write the assembly on paper, figure out the machine code, put that in a DATA statement, write a routine to move the data to REM statement at the start, and then run the code. Of course I was about 16 and not 11 at that point, and the games were very small at maybe up to several hundred bytes... there's pretty much no way I could have done what you did at age 11, even if the computer was avialable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5-11under said:

Cool story. When we coded ZX81 games in assembler, it was pretty similar... write the assembly on paper, figure out the machine code, put that in a DATA statement, write a routine to move the data to REM statement at the start, and then run the code. Of course I was about 16 and not 11 at that point, and the games were very small at maybe up to several hundred bytes... there's pretty much no way I could have done what you did at age 11, even if the computer was avialable.

Pretty cool! I have a Timex TS1000 and I've entered BASIC programs, but I never have entered machine code programs on it, I need a book with some examples.

1 hour ago, Pixelboy said:

So this is a prequel to The Heist? It has the same music!  :D

Haha, I didn't notice it before! At the time I knew of the ADAM because of several BASIC books I had, but nothing about the Colecovision or The Heist. The best music I had heard was PC speaker with Digger (Pop-Corn), Space Quest 1 (the intro), and two pieces of classical music played by a dedicated computer (this was close to magic for me!)

When a few years ago I developed my Boogie-Woogie automatic generator for Aardvark, I discovered that these scales are basic for anyone in a band, so probably the student providing me the notes was playing in a band.

A thing I didn't know was that simply by lowering the volume for each note I would have enhanced the music with piano-alike notes. Every single note in Viboritas is played with a fixed volume.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, eebuckeye said:

Wow... created at 11 is extremely impressive!

That's why he's such a genius now - he started early indeed with programming.

This is a neat little lost project. I love when 30+ year-old code is thought lost, rediscovered, and generously put out in the wild. It's like the gift that keeps on giving. We know there are more nuggets out there by others, just waiting for (re)discovery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow I must have been doing something very wrong when I was 11, because I didn't accomplish anything worthwhile at that age.

Looks very impressive especially considering how young you were at the time 👍

Thanks for providing the download.

• Thanks 1

That's awesome.  Back then, I was drawing video design in my notebook. It was until the age of 15 when I started learning HTML and reading the programming section of TI83+ book to make a game.  It's a text adventure with ASCII graphics.  I had to split it into 2 parts since it only had 23000 bytes available for program and 128KB of flashram for archive.  I ported that to Colecovision with actual graphics like over 10 years ago. 

• Like 2

Very nice Game!  When i was 11 years old , i did a Pacman clone on my C64... there was only one ghost! But i was a real ghost he could cross the walls! 😀 But was my first "full" "real" game   , before that it was just various experiment and few utility program.   My Pacman was by far not as good than your Viboritas!😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kiwi said:

That's awesome.  Back then, I was drawing video design in my notebook. It was until the age of 15 when I started learning HTML and reading the programming section of TI83+ book to make a game.  It's a text adventure with ASCII graphics.  I had to split it into 2 parts since it only had 23000 bytes available for program and 128KB of flashram for archive.  I ported that to Colecovision with actual graphics like over 10 years ago. 

Wow! Cool! Is there a link or a name for the game?

6 hours ago, youki said:

Very nice Game!  When i was 11 years old , i did a Pacman clone on my C64... there was only one ghost! But i was a real ghost he could cross the walls! 😀 But was my first "full" "real" game   , before that it was just various experiment and few utility program.   My Pacman was by far not as good than your Viboritas!😀

Nice! I would love to see it.

19 hours ago, nanochess said:

Nice! I would love to see it.

Unfortunately  i have lost it when i sold my C64 in 1986 :( with all my disks to buy an Atari 520 STF.   i would have love to find it again.  

The only thing i have found from my childhood with the C64 thanks to the internet is a drawing i did when i was 10 years old for a drawing competition on C64 for  "on Floppy disk" magasine published in France named "Floopy 64".     And i had won the 3rd Price!!!  (it was a box of 10 floppy disks)

Don't laugh , i were only 10 years old  😀 and it is done using the joystick and Paint Magic   (The “magic” in Paint Magic « My Commodore 64)

This is the picture....

http://www.atomicfe.com/archeogamers/upload/floppy.jpg

• Like 3

I can recall the first real "game" I made back in high school, in Basic. It was called "Big Maze" and was essentially a very large maze of interconnected empty rectangular rooms (think Berzerk but without inner walls, and the player controlled an Otto-like smily face). There were no enemies, so there wasn't a lot going on aside from exploring the maze, but I recall that you needed to find a key to reveal the exit of the maze.

My second game (during that same time) was actually an end-of-year assignment. I tried making a clone of Arkanoid in Basic called Basicanoid, and while the CGA graphics looked good, my code was a spaghetti mess and I never got the ball to actually collide with the bricks, the ball was like a ghost flying off the screen and making the program crash! I ran out of time and handed in "Big Maze" instead!  :P

• Like 2

17 hours ago, youki said:

Unfortunately  i have lost it when i sold my C64 in 1986 :( with all my disks to buy an Atari 520 STF.   i would have love to find it again.  

The only thing i have found from my childhood with the C64 thanks to the internet is a drawing i did when i was 10 years old for a drawing competition on C64 for  "on Floppy disk" magasine published in France named "Floopy 64".     And i had won the 3rd Price!!!  (it was a box of 10 floppy disks)

Don't laugh , i were only 10 years old  😀 and it is done using the joystick and Paint Magic   (The “magic” in Paint Magic « My Commodore 64)

This is the picture....

http://www.atomicfe.com/archeogamers/upload/floppy.jpg

I like it. You draw a lot better than me at same age!

14 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

I can recall the first real "game" I made back in high school, in Basic. It was called "Big Maze" and was essentially a very large maze of interconnected empty rectangular rooms (think Berzerk but without inner walls, and the player controlled an Otto-like smily face). There were no enemies, so there wasn't a lot going on aside from exploring the maze, but I recall that you needed to find a key to reveal the exit of the maze.

My second game (during that same time) was actually an end-of-year assignment. I tried making a clone of Arkanoid in Basic called Basicanoid, and while the CGA graphics looked good, my code was a spaghetti mess and I never got the ball to actually collide with the bricks, the ball was like a ghost flying off the screen and making the program crash! I ran out of time and handed in "Big Maze" instead!  :P

That's so cool! 😀 I hope you have a copy

9 hours ago, nanochess said:

That's so cool! 😀 I hope you have a copy

I had an ADAM at the time (with no floppy drive), not an IBM PC, so I never had any reason to bring home the PC floppy disc from school with my games on it, and there was no printer I could use to print the listings of by Basic programs (I probably did write those listings by hand at one point during development, but I threw away those papers a long time ago). I also didn't know how to define and use sprites in SmartBASIC, so it never occured to me to try to reproduce either Big Maze or Basicanoid on my ADAM.

One thing I did do on my ADAM was adapt the Basic listings from the classic books "Computer Spacegames" and "Computer Battlegames". Both can be found (along with others) in PDF format here. A few years ago, I actually spotted both books on eBay and decided to buy them just for nostalgia's sake. I still have them, and I'd be willing to sell them to anyone here, if they share this nostalgia and would like to own them in printed format.  :)

• Like 1