IGNORED

Question. Can a playing field have movement?

I have a doubt, I already know that a playing field can be dismantled piece by piece like in the classic Breakout, for example.
But what I really wanted to know is whether a playing field can have some movement on the screen, behaving like a sprite?
Is this possible in BB and any kernel? Thanks

4 hours ago, littaum said:

I believe Street Racer for the Atari 2600 used the playfield to create the obstacles for the player to avoid.  

Yes, Street Racer is a good example. What I was thinking was like using a part of the game field to create a balloon on the screen, giving it a floating movement.
Can I find some examples in the BB manual on how to do this?

Another example would be Barnstorming - the body of the plane is drawn using the playfield.

Barnstorming:

Barnstorming(1982)(Activision)_dbg_c808e1e8.thumb.png.8513a33eeccacb00d041d887e3a2c77e.png

Colors Stella uses to draw objects in Debug Color Mode:

Screenshot2024-02-20at1_30_03PM.png.208f837510aa162c1bef8df201c3f978.png

Barnstorming in Debug Color Mode, purple is the playfield - there's 3 shades of purple to show which of the 3 playfield registers are used to draw which part of the screen:

Barnstorming(1982)(Activision)_dbg_c80901be.thumb.png.2d0d54e564a0b7ce142524d0858e9fb2.png

I'm not familiar enough with bB to know if there are any examples of bB using the playfield like this.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 4:43 PM, SpiceWare said:

Another example would be Barnstorming - the body of the plane is drawn using the playfield.

Barnstorming:

Barnstorming(1982)(Activision)_dbg_c808e1e8.thumb.png.8513a33eeccacb00d041d887e3a2c77e.png

Colors Stella uses to draw objects in Debug Color Mode:

Screenshot2024-02-20at1_30_03PM.png.208f837510aa162c1bef8df201c3f978.png

Barnstorming in Debug Color Mode, purple is the playfield - there's 3 shades of purple to show which of the 3 playfield registers are used to draw which part of the screen:

Barnstorming(1982)(Activision)_dbg_c80901be.thumb.png.2d0d54e564a0b7ce142524d0858e9fb2.png

I'm not familiar enough with bB to know if there are any examples of bB using the playfield like this.

I think this example (Barnstorming) is fantastic.
This is what I also wanted to increase the width of the sprite, which is limited to an 8-pixel grid.
There would have to be a synchronized movement between the player and the playing field.
Like this boat in the game I'm developing, with the game field add-on to increase the width of the boat's body.

Captura de tela em 2024-03-06 22-07-28.png

Captura de tela em 2024-03-06 22-10-23.png

Captura de tela em 2024-03-06 22-11-03.png

• Like 1

Mr SQL has his own BASIC compilers that can scroll.  The playfields can be larger than the screen as a matter of course.  bB has scrolling commands but you must figure out the next steps (loading more of the level).  Assembly drills down further than that: you must write your display kernel to plot out the playfield, code scrolling routines and load the next viewable playfield level data.

http://relationalframework.com/Atari2600gamesonline.htm

The standard batari BASIC kernel can scroll the playfield (Princess Rescue).

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/215171-princess-rescue-batari-basic-source-code/

The multi sprite kernel can be subverted to scroll vertically (1942).

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/176639-1942-wip/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 12:03 AM, LatchKeyKid said:

Would playfield scrolling help with that?   I know bB has code for that on random terrain's website but from what I remember it takes up a fair amount of CPU cycles and moves in the bigger playfield pixel chunks (iirc sprite pixels wide).

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#pfscroll

Yes, I always turn to BB at RANDOM TERRENO to resolve doubts.

On 3/7/2024 at 12:07 AM, Gemintronic said:

Mr SQL has his own BASIC compilers that can scroll.  The playfields can be larger than the screen as a matter of course.  bB has scrolling commands but you must figure out the next steps (loading more of the level).  Assembly drills down further than that: you must write your display kernel to plot out the playfield, code scrolling routines and load the next viewable playfield level data.

http://relationalframework.com/Atari2600gamesonline.htm

The standard batari BASIC kernel can scroll the playfield (Princess Rescue).

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/215171-princess-rescue-batari-basic-source-code/

The multi sprite kernel can be subverted to scroll vertically (1942).

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/176639-1942-wip/

These are great examples, thank you.
I'm currently exploring the multisprite kernel.

• Like 1

Currently I think it would be easier to follow the example of the dragon from Dragonfire, than to use the playing field to increase the sprite's width. It seems to me that the dragon's body is made up of several sprites lined up and synchronized in their movement.
Has anyone used this feature in Batari Basic in any game?

Captura de tela_2024-03-16_00-58-46.png

Captura de tela_2024-03-16_01-00-30.png

2 hours ago, alfredtdk said:

Currently I think it would be easier to follow the example of the dragon from Dragonfire, than to use the playing field to increase the sprite's width. It seems to me that the dragon's body is made up of several sprites lined up and synchronized in their movement.

In Conjoined the last stage has you operating on the twins (top center).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, alfredtdk said:

Captura de tela_2024-03-16_00-58-46.png

Captura de tela_2024-03-16_01-00-30.png

While I'm obviously not even particularly knowledgeable let alone an expert, I don't recall ever seeing an option in bB to display player sprites on more than one line other than in a score minikermel outside of the normal playspace.   The same is true in that I haven't seen an option to update a sprite mid-line as would be necessary to double both player sprites to make a fully detailed 4x length megasprite.   I think that's the forte of programming in ASM where you have ultimate control.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 3:18 AM, Gemintronic said:

In Conjoined the last stage has you operating on the twins (top center).

Very cool this. Did you need to use both players to build the twins?

19 hours ago, LatchKeyKid said:

While I'm obviously not even particularly knowledgeable let alone an expert, I don't recall ever seeing an option in bB to display player sprites on more than one line other than in a score minikermel outside of the normal playspace.   The same is true in that I haven't seen an option to update a sprite mid-line as would be necessary to double both player sprites to make a fully detailed 4x length megasprite.   I think that's the forte of programming in ASM where you have ultimate control.

Programming in assembly, I believe, gives you other possibilities and freedoms to create what you want with your own display kernel.

2 hours ago, alfredtdk said:

Very cool this. Did you need to use both players to build the twins?

Programming in assembly, I believe, gives you other possibilities and freedoms to create what you want with your own display kernel.

The long rectangular part is actually the playfield.  The twins are two copies of a sprite that looks like a girl.

You can use CTRLPF to tell the sprites to be behind the playfield.  That sometimes helps when making sprite/playfield combination objects.

• Like 1