IGNORED

Virtua Fighter/arcade question

Has anyone seen/played an arcade version of Virtua Fighter (any iteration)? I've never seen any in real life so I am wondering if it was/is a Japan exclusive thing.

I used to play VF5 online for the 360 so that was the closest I had to an arcade experience. Not sure why the series is dead.

Speaking of arcades... do they still make 1-on-1 fighters for arcades? What would the newest one be? I saw a Tekken 3 cab a few weeks back. That thing was ancient.

I know they want us all in tiny boxes at home, playing online against 12 year olds screaming the N-word at us but some of us prefer IRL matches. that's one reason I haven't gotten into modern gaming because the online focus does nothing for me

As a Sega fan-boy (owned every Sega console and console add-on during their original retail runs), and as a Virtua Fighter fan-boy (owned pretty much every home port starting with the original Virtua Fighter on my Sega Saturn, and the only fighting game I've ever learned moves for), I remember playing a Virtua Fighter cabinet at the local Q-ZAR laser tag arena (in Ohio), between '94-'95-ish, and a Virtua Fighter 3 or 3tb...somewhere (in Michigan, maybe a Dave & Busters), but don't remember when specifically.  

Kage-Maru...always my fighter of choice...who in their right mind wouldn't pick the ninja!?!

9W6bfP.gif

• Like 1

Yes, I played them quite a bit in arcades, in PA. I remember in the early 90s when VF came out, it was prominently placed at the entrance to the local mall arcade. It wasn’t nearly as popular as street fighter had been, but it still got plays, and I remember learning the moves.

it didn’t take long before VF2 came out as well, and it was amazing to behold. The same arcade had VF2 and fighting vipers next to each other, but Street Fighter 2 and Tekken games were more popular.   When the Saturn version of VF2 came out,  I was familiar with the game and amazed at the Saturn port of VF2. 

I saw VF and VF2 machines at amusement park or theater arcades too.

as the 90s progressed, there was a laser tag place that opened for a while with a small arcade. That was the only location I’ve ever seen VF3.  I’d go there at lunch and play VF3 and  Super GT. 

I think I’ve played all of the sequels on various consoles like PS2, Xbox 360 and PS4 over the years. I remember playing one of them online on the Xbox 360, the latency wasn’t too bad, and there were some skilled players that would crush me regularly. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I played a lot of both VF and VF2 at a mall arcade outside of Nashville TN when they both were new. (Incidentally, this arcade also had a sit-down two-player Virtua Racer when it came out, as well as Sega's oddball Time Traveler/Holosseum games.) Similar to Cafeman's arcade, VF was placed right at the entrance, so it got a lot of attention at the time. I remember being surprised at how soon VF2 came out and how big of a graphical leap it was over the original. However, I moved away to a smaller town and missed out on arcades for the next several years, so I never got to play any of the later sequels in arcades. And that arcade in Nashville was closed when I returned on visits. I think there was a big downturn in independent arcades in the mid-90s, so that may be why most of the sightings of sequels after VF2 were in chains like Dave & Busters.

My friends and I still play VF5 Final Showdown online occasionally, on the Xbox Series X via 360 backwards compatibility.

As for why there haven't been any new sequels, they have released new versions of VF5 that have been updated in significant ways from time to time but it just hasn't been prioritized to continue the series. There are some rumblings, at least... when Sega revealed their other classic IP revivals in December, they mentioned in an interview that they were "looking at" Virtua Fighter so, here's hoping!

• Like 1

I recall Schaumburg, IL's Gameworks having a VF3 Team Battle back when I visited on my 21st birthday, so 2002. That arcade leaned way too heavily toward Sega. I didn't play it, because 'oh, it's on dreamcast' and promptly never played that one either, because of my memories of VF1 & 2... I think gameworks mostly all closed a couple years ago.

I want to say I've encountered a VF4--but can't recall with the above degree of specificity. 

My 'arcade never-seen' is Ridge Racer--any of them. Or any Namco racer in general, for that matter. (except pole position, but that was atari). Only Midway/Atari, or Sega racers locally. East town mall in Madison had a Cyber Sled--which is the closest I've had to a namco racer.

12 hours ago, Reaperman said:

I recall Schaumburg, IL's Gameworks having a VF3 Team Battle back when I visited on my 21st birthday, so 2002. That arcade leaned way too heavily toward Sega. ... I think gameworks mostly all closed a couple years ago.

Gameworks was a joint venture of Sega, Dreamworks, and Universal, so I guess it makes sense that they featured a bunch of Sega games, at least in some locations. I went to the Seattle location once (apparently it's the only remaining one) but I thought its focus was too much on giant games and weird control schemes and not enough arcade cabinets. For a big space there just weren't that many games there.

• Like 2

I’ve seen VF and VF2 in American arcades but not for many years. Remember these games are 30 years old. The Saturn versions were a nice approximation of the originals but not perfect. VF1 on Saturn had lower frame rate and resolution, and fewer polygons. VF2 on Saturn came closer but was missing details like Shun’s 3D bridge. 

Not sure if I’ve seen VF3 or just a lot of photos of the arcade machine at this point, as that’s old now too. I think I played it and had trouble transferring my Dreamcast “skills” to the arcade machine. 

All of the places where I remember seeing and playing it are gone now. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 9:41 PM, Reaperman said:

I recall Schaumburg, IL's Gameworks having a VF3 Team Battle back when I visited on my 21st birthday, so 2002. That arcade leaned way too heavily toward Sega. I didn't play it, because 'oh, it's on dreamcast' and promptly never played that one either, because of my memories of VF1 & 2... I think gameworks mostly all closed a couple years ago.

I want to say I've encountered a VF4--but can't recall with the above degree of specificity. 

My 'arcade never-seen' is Ridge Racer--any of them. Or any Namco racer in general, for that matter. (except pole position, but that was atari). Only Midway/Atari, or Sega racers locally. East town mall in Madison had a Cyber Sled--which is the closest I've had to a namco racer.

yeah I've never seen RR. Just Daytona USA and OutRun 1 and 2. Initial D. those seem to be the most popular

I first saw VF in the arcade section of our local grocery store.  They always used to have 2 to 3 machines there at any given time and would rotate in new ones.  That one replaced Street Fighter 2 or Narc, I can't remember which.

I didn't like it though. I was very comfortable with SF 2 type of gameplay so whenever the new bunch hit, I couldn't quite get into them.

• Like 2

We had VF and then VF2 at our mall in the Aladdins Castle arcade. This also stocked a steady turnover of the Namco cabd too since the chain was backed by them then. The larger mall arcade near Erie had deluxe cabs like Star Wars and Galaxy Force. Never saw a Virtua Fighter 3 cab though. Only Model 3 we had around us were Scud Race and Star Wars Trilogy

• 2 weeks later...