IGNORED

1979 vector arcade game -original lunar lander terrain

I have a little clone-type  lunar lander craft working in Pygame (python )and now need to add the scrolling terrain. Would anyone know more details about that on the original  Atari 1979 arcade machine?  One question: when flying to the right for many minutes will the player eventually encounter the beginning set of mountains and landing pads that the game began with? So is  there just a set number of pads and mountains in the game that I would hard code into my terrain? Is it always the exact terrain for every game that is played? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the original game has scrolling... I just watched a Youtube video of it and it just displays a screen worth of surface as an overview, including different flashing bonuses, then as you come near to one of them, it abruptly zooms in on it, but again, no scrolling.

On 3/10/2024 at 5:16 PM, Kurt_Woloch said:

I don't think the original game has scrolling... I just watched a Youtube video of it and it just displays a screen worth of surface as an overview, including different flashing bonuses, then as you come near to one of them, it abruptly zooms in on it, but again, no scrolling.

It scrolls. (I have the full size coin op). 

Posted (edited)

I found some vector coordinates from some (possible) original Atari arcade game source posted on gihub and I plotted some of the points and drew lines. This looks promising except I cannot find on youtube or anywhere else a match with what I have drawn with the vector coordinates. It looks  similar though.  I'll try to post my attempt. Hope the image uploads here.

mountain.png

Edited by frogger1010

Here is an example of the source data:

;SEGMENTS DEFINE PARTS OF SECTIONS
;
SEG001:    VCTR    32,0,10
    VCTR    8,-32,10
    VCTR    32,0,10
    VCTR    8,-32,10
    VCTR    16,0,10
    RTSL
;
SEG002:    VCTR    8,-96,10
    VCTR    24,-96,10
    VCTR    0,-32,10
    RTSL
;
SEG003:    VCTR    16,-64,10
    VCTR    48,-32,10
    RTSL
;
SEG004:    VCTR    16,-64,10
    VCTR    16,-32,10
    VCTR    32,-32,10
    RTSL

Posted (edited)

Here are more plotted points. Hopefully pic will post.  I wonder if this is an early version of the game.  Or maybe my preliminary plotting is wrong - I know I am not using 'Sections' yet and just trying to plot 'Segments'. The proper way (I think) is to display the proper Sections that are composed of particular "Segments".   Still, it looks like a mountain.

mount2_00-12-04.thumb.png.7db0ce1bbf221697d7a871065c68b3a3.png

Edited by frogger1010