IGNORED

TIImageTool 3

Some of you probably remember me talking about a "TIImageTool 3" for some years now.

In fact, it took me almost 5 years to complete it. The reason was that the implementation of the new features was much more complex and complicated than expected. At the beginning I thought that I just had to do some additions here and there, no need to prepare an elaborate plan, but this was really silly. Don't do that. Although I manage the source code on Github with the possibility to set up new branches, I just did not take that seriously enough. After some months of "small changes", the path back was lost.

In the last months, I invested a lot more time on that, and finally I managed to climb that hill. So here it is,

TIImageTool 3.0.0.

As with every x.0.0 version, there may be bugs at every corner. I'd suggest that you file all bug spottings on Github (https://github.com/mizapf/tiimagetool) so that at least the bug fixing won't take another couple of years.

The documentation must still be updated, but I thought I'll let you work with it while I'm working on the text (which will take some more time). My hope is that TIImageTool 3 will be easy enough to use for most people, in particular when you already know it.

So I decided to publish this release now that it causes me more fun than frowns.

OK, what's new, what took so long? Not sure where to start, I'll just list all new features and changes.

New features

• All image processing is now done in memory. Nothing is changed in the image file until explicitly saved
  • All file/directory operations on images may be undone, and also be redone before saving.
  • "Save" and "Save as" were added. These operations commit all changes to the image file and clear the undo/redo buffer.
  • The disk image format (sector dump/track dump/HFE for floopy disks, raw/CHD for hard disks) is now selected at the time of saving, not at the time of creation.
  • Text display can now be edited. You can simply change text and BASIC files on the image without leaving TIImageTool.
  • SCSI images are supported (512 byte/sec)
  • IDE images (512 byte/sec) are supported, with up to 8 partitions, and the partition table can be edited.

Fixes

• Glitches with copy/move and file selection / context menu
  • YAPP G7 graphics format is supported
  • Several font size issues were fixed
  • Choosing an escape character in the TI character set now issues a warning. This refers to the issue of reduplicating periods in listings.

Enhancements

• Image file suffixes may be configured for file chooser dialogs
  • Text output window keeps its size
  • Editing of CF7 layout (adding/removing volumes)
  • Directory views offer a blank space below the listing to allow the user to get the general context menu by clicking the right button outside of the directory display
  • For systems with one-button mice, the context menu can be included in the Edit menu
  • Hard disk image layouts can be selected from predefined geometries or directly defined
  • Empty patterns (one to several bytes, like "00", "e5", or "deadbeef") can be defined for floppies and hard disks separately.
  • For quick tests, you can simply create a floppy image in memory and discard it without saving.

Other changes

• MAME CHD format conversions were dropped, as all HD images are automatically saved as v5. The option of downgrading was removed.
  • CF7 reading and writing must be done outside of TIImageTool; the integration of the dd tool was dropped.
  • Conversions between formats (floppy, hard disk) is now covered by "Save as" and choosing another format.
  • Sector editor redesigned (simplified and faster)
  • Return key can be used in several dialog windows as "OK"
  • New background image

tiimagetool3.zip

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Did you start it from within the ZIP file, or did you unpack it before? if you unpacked it, could you please open a command shell and run it with "java -jar tiimagetool.jar" in the folder?

Yes, just open the Preferences and change the entry "Output/Replace unprintable ..." by any character that is not in the TI character set, e.g. § or » or ¶. If you add % (like »%), the escape sequence contains the hex code of the unprintable character (as "»0d").

The problem is that the escape character used in this entry will be duplicated in text output. For example, if you use ~, every instance of the tilde in the TI file will be printed as ~~.

57 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Did you start it from within the ZIP file, or did you unpack it before? if you unpacked it, could you please open a command shell and run it with "java -jar tiimagetool.jar" in the folder?

It was unpacked into a folder. Before I tried running it. Started as you said and I get the same error message that @Asmusr got. As well in thje command shell. Got the error in the shell and the program.

error.jpg

Edited by RickyDean
added content

The message about the escape character is just a warning and should not block anything. It is not the exception that RickyDean reported in the second message. If you get an exception, please report the contents.

Apart from that, a simple double click should suffice; there is no special installation required. I just tested it on my Windows installation, no problem.

---

By the way, I'm sorry that the French localization is still incomplete. I'll close the gaps with the help of the Google translator, and if you find bad translations so far, don't hesitate to send me corrections.

21 minutes ago, mizapf said:

The problem is that the "~" was a badly chosen default from the earlier TIImageTool, and you have it still in your config file. You can solve it as said above.

Under which tab in preferences, I've looked in each and don't see that option "Output/Replace unprintable ...", well now I found what may be it. Looks like a period......

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

5 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Yes, then it's the period for you. Just put another character in there.

But the preference is the same in the older version, I have a period there also, yet it works?

Edited by RickyDean
spelling

The problem is that this escape character will be output twice when it occurs in a BASIC or text file. I had the issue in earlier TIImageTool versions that I got outputs like "DSK1..FILENAME" and suspected a bug, until I noticed that it was a designed behavior, that is, to reduplicate the escape character when it occurs. Hence, you should take a character that is not likely to appear in a BASIC program or a text file.

37 minutes ago, mizapf said:

The problem is that this escape character will be output twice when it occurs in a BASIC or text file. I had the issue in earlier TIImageTool versions that I got outputs like "DSK1..FILENAME" and suspected a bug, until I noticed that it was a designed behavior, that is, to reduplicate the escape character when it occurs. Hence, you should take a character that is not likely to appear in a BASIC program or a text file.

Ok, I used the § and the error went away when run in the command prompt. But when I double click the jar file in Windows 11, I still get the error reported. in the initial report. Also I get the same error on my Win10 machine too.

Edited by RickyDean
additional content

Hmm, starting smoothly for me in Windows 11, for double clicking as well as for running in the prompt.

If you run it in the Windows command prompt (java -jar tiimagetool.jar), do you get some output in the window? This would be very helpful to see. If not, maybe it is in the log file "tiimagetool.log" that you have in your preferences. If you cannot find it, you could try to clean that field so that the output is sent to the command prompt window.

The command window launches it fine now, no error message, but when I try to double click from file explorer I get the above message. The log is empty and stays at a size of zero, so whatever is causing the error is not showing in the log. going to reinstall Java.

30 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Hmm, starting smoothly for me in Windows 11, for double clicking as well as for running in the prompt.

If you run it in the Windows command prompt (java -jar tiimagetool.jar), do you get some output in the window? This would be very helpful to see. If not, maybe it is in the log file "tiimagetool.log" that you have in your preferences. If you cannot find it, you could try to clean that field so that the output is sent to the command prompt window.

On my windows 10 machine I'm getting the above listed error when double clicking and getting the below error when trying to run from a command prompt. Java is installed and I just reinstalled it to be sure, getting the same. So must be in Win 10 for this one.

Untitled.jpg

I opened the program fine on my WIN10 machine, although it does have a somewhat excruciating delay between selection of "OPEN FILE" and the moment where the file directory actually comes up. This is not an issue specific to TIImageTool 3 on this machine, though, as older versions have always done the same thing. I suspect a corrupt config file setting somewhere, but I haven't really taken the time to hunt it down as it was more of the minor annoyance category and not a problem once I got into the disk file I wanted to look at.

Thanks for the update, Michael! Vielen Dank, Michael!

@mizapf

On my windows 10 machine, I can open the program if I select Open JDK, if I try with the Java 8 Update 401, just reinstalled I get the error already discussed, and if I try a command prompt, also no java command is recognized. But Open JDK opens it fine.

How ever on my win 11 machine I don't have Open JDK installed and it will not open by double clicking, even after reinstalling Java. I can open it with  a command prompt though, on windows 11. The older TIImageTool loads just fine by double clicking. Maybe someone else here can point the way? It opens fine on my Macbook pro

Edited by RickyDean
spelling, added content

Java 8 is too old; I built it for Java 9. Could be that the old TIMT still ran on Java 8. OpenJDK is currently at version 21. I could possibly check whether I really use classes that are unavailable before Java 9, but on the other hand, it's probably not a bad idea to upgrade from that old Java Runtime.

@KsarulDo other Java applications also take such a long time for opening the file dialog?

@RickyDeanAnd if you installed OpenJDK on your Windows 11 machine, or is that not an option?

6 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Java 8 is too old; I built it for Java 9. Could be that the old TIMT still ran on Java 8. OpenJDK is currently at version 21. I could possibly check whether I really use classes that are unavailable before Java 9, but on the other hand, it's probably not a bad idea to upgrade from that old Java Runtime.

@KsarulDo other Java applications also take such a long time for opening the file dialog?

@RickyDeanAnd if you installed OpenJDK on your Windows 11 machine, or is that not an option?

No I haven't, I just built these laptops from stuff off ebay about 6 months ago. I installed alot of the samre programs on both, but haven't gotten them both on the same level yet. Had a lot of stuff happening the last few months with my shoulder surgery and all, and have been concentrating on soldering and repair of TI stuff as welll as new stuff. Java hasn't been an issue till this moment.

Downloading Java SE Runtime Environment 9.0.4 as we type.

Edited by RickyDean
added content