Jump to content
IGNORED

VS64 for Atari 8-bit?


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

I have been playing lately with VS64, an extension for Visual Studio Code which, together with the VICE emulator and a few free cross compilers, makes an excellent development IDE for the Commodore machines...

 

Is there anyone out there willing to do something similar for Atari 8-bit? This would surely catalyse app development and modifications...

 

I wish I could help, but my coding abilities are too limited and rusty... You can find more info about VS64 here:

 

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=rosc.vs64

 

Cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, tebe said:

Many thanks, had no idea this one existed!!!
Will have to give it a try, yesterday... 

 

EDIT: This is apparently for 2600 & 7800 only, which is a great start, but support for the more capable 8-bit machines would be great...

Edited by WxAxNxDxExRxExR
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The extensions I use with VSCode are:
Atasm Altirra Bridge (Cerebus)

MADS (Jaromir Obr)

 

With this, I can hit a single key and have a file assembled with debugging symbols giving source code debugging with code stepping in Altirra.  It also integrates nicely with GIT so you can have full source control with your projects.

 

Hex Editor with Tags is not Atari specific, but a hex editor built in is always nice, and it works in dark mode too

Overtype - Because why the actual f**k do I need a plug-in to have Insert / Overwrite mode in a text editor?  OK - rant over.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

The extensions I use with VSCode are:
Atasm Altirra Bridge (Cerebus)

MADS (Jaromir Obr)

 

With this, I can hit a single key and have a file assembled with debugging symbols giving source code debugging with code stepping in Altirra.  It also integrates nicely with GIT so you can have full source control with your projects.

 

Hex Editor with Tags is not Atari specific, but a hex editor built in is always nice, and it works in dark mode too

Overtype - Because why the actual f**k do I need a plug-in to have Insert / Overwrite mode in a text editor?  OK - rant over.

Thanks, will give this a try as well. Btw, what is the benefit to using MADs instead of ATasm which seems to be the default choice?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, WxAxNxDxExRxExR said:

Btw, what is the benefit to using MADs instead of ATasm which seems to be the default choice?

When integrated into WUDSN Ide it's probably the best development environment for 6502 code,

not sure of the full range of features of Atasm, but as it's MAC/65 compatible, it probably doesn't

have 1/2 the features of MADS.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 3:14 AM, Stephen said:

The extensions I use with VSCode are:
Atasm Altirra Bridge (Cerebus)

MADS (Jaromir Obr)

 

With this, I can hit a single key and have a file assembled with debugging symbols giving source code debugging with code stepping in Altirra.  It also integrates nicely with GIT so you can have full source control with your projects.

 

Hex Editor with Tags is not Atari specific, but a hex editor built in is always nice, and it works in dark mode too

Overtype - Because why the actual f**k do I need a plug-in to have Insert / Overwrite mode in a text editor?  OK - rant over.

Hi Stephen,

 

the Atasm Altirra Bridge is indeed a very nice extension. I grew up with MADS and use a lot of it's macro capabilities. So I really would like to use MADS with it.

The extension allows one to switch the default assembler to MADS. But then it seems like no breakpoint / debugging symbols are working.

 

Do you maybe have some hints how this can be done? I'm afraid the full feature set is only given when using ATASM 😞

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I figured it out myself. I found a little difference in the .LST file. It was generated in MADS slightly different to ATASM.

 

First I upgraded to the latest MADS version (which is 2.1.5) and then I had to attach an additional parameter "-p" to "Print fully qualified file names in listing and error messages" under "atasm-build.json".

 

image.thumb.png.f5bc6a220761a8bda2c1184d12b768a2.png

So all good now.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, twh/f2 said:

I figured it out myself. I found a little difference in the .LST file. It was generated in MADS slightly different to ATASM.

 

First I upgraded to the latest MADS version (which is 2.1.5) and then I had to attach an additional parameter "-p" to "Print fully qualified file names in listing and error messages" under "atasm-build.json".

 

image.thumb.png.f5bc6a220761a8bda2c1184d12b768a2.png

So all good now.

Glad you got it figured out.  I just got home, and I did not know the answer to that question.  I will give this a try.  Because of my situation (I have Altirra emulating U1MB and SDX, so I was not able to have it auto start the debugger with source - I was putting in the source listing manually).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/13/2024 at 4:14 AM, Stephen said:

The extensions I use with VSCode are:
Atasm Altirra Bridge (Cerebus)

MADS (Jaromir Obr)

 

With this, I can hit a single key and have a file assembled with debugging symbols giving source code debugging with code stepping in Altirra.  It also integrates nicely with GIT so you can have full source control with your projects.

 

Hex Editor with Tags is not Atari specific, but a hex editor built in is always nice, and it works in dark mode too

Overtype - Because why the actual f**k do I need a plug-in to have Insert / Overwrite mode in a text editor?  OK - rant over.

I wrote the Atasm Altirra Bridge because I did not know about Wudsn and I like working in VS Code.

 

Lots of people use Mads with the Altirra Bridge.  

 

I'm busy with a port of mads from Pascal/Delphi into C++ so that I can add some export functionality.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/27/2024 at 11:00 AM, RetroCoder said:

I'm busy with a port of mads from Pascal/Delphi into C++ so that I can add some export functionality.

I've attempted a python port with some modern compiler helpers, but C++ is obviously more performant and stuff. In case you need help with Polish names/comments let me know. @tebe is actively developing mads so the rewritten version might diverge from the original. Not really important for small projects, but large codebases might suffer somewhat. Not a blocker though, because you could stick to the concrete assembler and its version for the dev't process.

In other words, this is a worthy endeavor, please do not give up as myself.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/30/2024 at 6:33 PM, pirx said:

I've attempted a python port with some modern compiler helpers, but C++ is obviously more performant and stuff. In case you need help with Polish names/comments let me know. @tebe is actively developing mads so the rewritten version might diverge from the original. Not really important for small projects, but large codebases might suffer somewhat. Not a blocker though, because you could stick to the concrete assembler and its version for the dev't process.

In other words, this is a worthy endeavor, please do not give up as myself.

 

The project can be found here https://github.com/CycoPH/Mad-Assembler-CPP

 

As for the translation, I used google (obviously the results are not that great).

 

Step 1 in the process was to translate the Delphi comments from Polish into English.  Then it was trying to figure out Delphi and translate the code.  Delphi and C++ code are very similar.

 

I intend to port any new changes over to the CPP version.

Edited by RetroCoder
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2024 at 4:00 PM, RetroCoder said:

I'm busy with a port of mads from Pascal/Delphi into C++ so that I can add some export functionality.

Nice! I briefly looked into this, and I noticed you introduced a Windows-only dependency for the colored text output. Perhaps you could just send ANSI escape codes instead so it keeps working on Linux, MacOS, etc.? Also, please only print fully formed escape sequences in one go, preferably even full "sentences" that end with the terminal in the original state, as currently it screws up the terminal during parallel builds (i.e. running multiple mads instances with make -j8).

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...