IGNORED

Nintendo's success has corrupted them

Nintendo's latest crackdown on emulation and game preservation just goes to show how greedy they  have become since the Switch's massive success, you don't see Atari or Sega or even Sony going after emulators like Nintendo does so I don't want to hear that lame corporate slave excuse that they're just protecting they're copyright. 

It's not  just the emulation debacle that Nintendo has been handling poorly, the Switch online still sucks, easily the worst online experience of any platform, they're subscription service is a joke, they still sell 7 year old games like Breath of the Wild, Mario kart 8 Deluxe and Mario Odyssey at full price, the Switch 2 is rumored to be weaker than the Steam Deck and just barely on par with the base PS4 when it comes out next year.

This is what happens when a company doesn't feel pressured to improve, no one competes directly with Nintendo, they exist in they're own blue ocean separated from the rest of the industry, with a legion of gullible fanboy's who will defend everything  that they do no matter how absurd it is and frankly I don't see things changing anytime soon.

Edited by JPF997
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 6

I'm sorry but your post is full of ignorance.

• Nintendo could have attacked the Dolphin emulator for years for instance, yet they didn't. The main reason they attacked Yuzu was because they had a Patreon, so they made money by telling people how to pirate Switch games (and yet they claim they're against piracy, probably like arm dealers are against the war or something 🙄). And if they could afford paying 2.4M to Nintendo, it means they made A LOT of money with their emulator. It's not a bunch of amateurs that code emulators in their garage for the sake of preservation only. Stop using 'preservation' as an excuse; pirating Switch games is no preservation, it's just people who want to play Nintendo games because they know they're good, but since they can't admit it, they won't to buy a Switch (and yeah, I know a few people used Yuzu just to play the games they owned in 4K, which isn't legal either unfortunately). Anyway the emulator hasn't disappeared from the Internet, and the team is working on a new version that (kinda) respects the law, so stop crying.
  • Their online service is probably the worst indeed, but it's also BY FAR the cheapest.
  • If they still sell old games full price, it just means people are still willing to buy them full price because they're still good and relevant, unlike some "games as a service" that can't be played anymore after a few months.
  • Switch 2 is rumored to be weaker than the Steam Deck according to who? It may not be as powerful on paper, but may benefit from more recent techniques to make it less relevant. Plus it will probably be cheaper and offer a better battery life anyway (let alone a better form factor).
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Lost Monkey said:

Complete fallacy.  What would Atari or Sega have to protect at this point that compares to a current commercially viable product like the Switch?

What do you mean  "protect at this point", Atari has a market cap of roughly 70 million dollars and Sega's market cap is over 5 Billion dollars, these aren't exactly dollar store companies and yet they still don't do the stuff that Nintendo does.

Edited by JPF997

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

• Nintendo could have attacked the Dolphin emulator for years for instance, yet they didn't. The main reason they attacked Yuzu was because they had a Patreon, so they made money by telling people how to pirate Switch games (and yet they claim they're against piracy, probably like arm dealers are against the war or something 🙄). And if they could afford paying 2.4M to Nintendo, it means they made A LOT of money with their emulator. It's not a bunch of amateurs that code emulators in their garage for the sake of preservation only. Stop using 'preservation' as an excuse; pirating Switch games is no preservation, it's just people who want to play Nintendo games because they know they're good, but since they can't admit it, they won't to buy a Switch (and yeah, I know a few people used Yuzu just to play the games they owned in 4K, which isn't legal either unfortunately). Anyway the emulator hasn't disappeared from the Internet, and the team is working on a new version that (kinda) respects the law, so stop crying.
  • Their online service is probably the worst indeed, but it's also BY FAR the cheapest.
  • If they still sell old games full price, it just means people are still willing to buy them full price because they're still good and relevant, unlike some "games as a service" that can't be played anymore after a few months.
  • Switch 2 is rumored to be weaker than the Steam Deck according to who? It may not be as powerful on paper, but may benefit from more recent techniques to make it less relevant. Plus it will probably be cheaper and offer a better battery life anyway (let alone a better form factor).

It wasn't just yuzu that got shutdown citra the 3ds emulator was also shutdown for fear of Nintendo lawsuits,  Nintendo's witch-hunt against emulator's will impact game preservation in the long run unless a more pro consumer CEO takes over.

Edited by JPF997

4 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

It wasn't just yuzu that got shutdown citra the 3ds emulator was also shutdown for fear of Nintendo lawsuits,  Nintendo's witch-hunt against emulator's will impact game preservation in the long run unless a more pro consumer CEO takes over.

Citra was made by the exact same team.

Honestly your OP is basically "Say you're a Nintendo hater without saying it"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, roots.genoa said:

Citra was made by the exact same team.

Honestly your OP is basically "Say you're a Nintendo hater without saying it"

And just like that my argument that any criticism directed towards Nintendo is immediately slammed as hater talk is proven correct. No I don't hate Nintendo, of the current big three console manufacturers they're easily my favorite, doesn't mean I approve of everything that they do, the Virtual Console should have never been shutdown, the online subscription that replaced it is awful because you can't actually own the games you only rent them, and just because the subscription is cheap doesn't mean it can't be criticized for how awful is it.

1 hour ago, JPF997 said:

they still sell 7 year old games like Breath of the Wild, Mario kart 8 Deluxe and Mario Odyssey at full price,

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Screenshot_20240313_073310_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a5e1cdb7dcb0369e5a561f7449b07eb2.jpg

🙄

49 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Well put. I've probably been playing Nintendo games on emulators since before the OP was born. They were making money off of it and that's where the issue is. I still have emulators for all their other systems.  So calling it witch hunting just makes the OP seem global thermonuclear butthurt about something.

I actually like Nintendo's online service. I felt like I get more out of it than I did Xbox's when I had it. Plus with their set up I have 4 different households with the ability to play online. One of my friends is an honorary member of the family. Last time we talked he wanted to get lost in some Harvest Moon.

Is it the best? Doubtful.

I think Nintendo knows their games sell and act accordingly. I'm trying to think of the last Nintendo made game that came out which didn't feel complete or had dumb bugs. They've slaughtered their generation in sales. So the whining about power is dumb.

20 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Virtual Console should have never been shutdown, the online subscription that replaced it is awful because you can't actually own the games you only rent them, and just because the subscription is cheap doesn't mean it can't be criticized for how awful is it.

I think you sound like a petulant child who doesn't understand how the world works. A company isn't going to spend money to leave everything online for eternity to keep you from not crying. Game Pass on Xbox isn't owning, and once servers go down and your console bricks you aren't going to be able to get all those games back. Same thing with movies too. All you are basically doing anymore is renting games.

You still haven't said anything that lends to them having shitty practices beyond you think they should let people pirate their stuff and make a profit on it.

You like current Atari right? https://casetext.com/case/atari-interactive-inc-v-target-corp

🤣

Edit* here's another one. https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=fcd5ab31-6e1b-40b5-b167-ccd9ff0f73a0

Edit edit* Tshirts!!! https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/8505915/atari-interactive-inc-v-ooshirts-inc/

Edit edit edit* RedBubble! Oh the stickers!!! https://www.worldipreview.com/copyright/atari-sues-redbubble-for-trademark-and-copyright-infringement-16181

Edit edit edit edit* Don't make a clone of a game.... Which I'm trying to remember if they even owned it at that time. Iirc they also did something similar to a vector tank game.

willy wonka and the chocolate factory blueberry GIF

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Screenshot_20240313_073310_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a5e1cdb7dcb0369e5a561f7449b07eb2.jpg

🙄

Those cartridges are boutique items that are being made in limited quantities which explains why they're slightly overpriced, you're not paying that amount for the software,  you're only  paying that price because of the value of the physical cartridge.

Edited by JPF997

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I think Nintendo knows their games sell and act accordingly. I'm trying to think of the last Nintendo made game that came out which didn't feel complete or had dumb bugs. They've slaughtered their generation in sales. So the whining about power is dumb.

I think you sound like a petulant child who doesn't understand how the world works. A company isn't going to spend money to leave everything online for eternity to keep you from not crying. Game Pass on Xbox isn't owning, and once servers go down and your console bricks you aren't going to be able to get all those games back. Same thing with movies too. All you are basically doing anymore is renting games.

You still haven't said anything that lends to them having shitty practices beyond you think they should let people pirate their stuff and make a profit on it.

You like current Atari right? https://casetext.com/case/atari-interactive-inc-v-target-corp

🤣

Just because they know they can get away with selling an old game at full price doesn't mean that it's ethical, Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece put paying 60 bucks for it in 2024 is simply outrageous.

You seem to assume that I approve of gamepass's existence and of other rental subscription's , I don't, I despise the digital only future that these big corporations want for us, where they want us to  own nothing and be happy about it.

The normalization of paying to play Online was the beginning of this disease and unfortunately gamers simply choose to accept the new normal instead of protesting these violations of our consumer rights.

Edited by JPF997
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

What do you mean  "protect at this point", Atari has a market cap of roughly 70 million dollars and Sega's market cap is over 5 Billion dollars, these aren't exactly dollar store companies and yet they still don't do the stuff that Nintendo does.

"Protect" a viable piece of hardware from becoming irrelevant due to being easily emulated by a group that is profiting from said emulation.   Atari and Sega aren't shutting down emulators for the same reason they aren't shutting down bakeries - doing so would not protect their business interests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lost Monkey said:

"Protect" a viable piece of hardware from becoming irrelevant due to being easily emulated by a group that is profiting from said emulation.   Atari and Sega aren't shutting down emulators for the same reason they aren't shutting down bakeries - doing so would not protect their business interests.

So why don't Microsoft and Sony go after emulators then , by your logic someone out there must be  profiting from allowing people to play PS1/PS2 and OG Xbox games for free so why aren't Microsoft and Sony as petty as Nintendo in regards to emulation?

Just now, JPF997 said:

So why don't Microsoft and Sony go after emulators then , by your logic someone out there must be  profiting from allowing people to play PS1/PS2 and OG Xbox games for free so why aren't Microsoft and Sony as petty as Nintendo in regards to emulation?

What part of "currently viable" do you not understand?  Go back to Google and look up Bleem!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Those cartridges are boutique items that are being made in limited quantities which explains why they're slightly overpriced, you're not paying that amount for the software,  you're only  paying that price because of the value of the physical cartridge.

13 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Just because they know they can get away with selling an old game at full price doesn't mean that it's ethical, Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece put paying 60 bucks for it in 2024 is simply outrageous.

You seem to assume that I approve of gamepass's existence and of other rental subscription's , I don't, I despise the digital only future that these big corporations want for us, where they want us to  own nothing and be happy about it.

The normalization of paying to play Online was the beginning of this disease and unfortunately gamers simply choose to accept the new normal instead of protesting these violations of our consumer rights.

Rules for thee...

By your logic it's unethical that those Atari carts exist and sold at their price. Those games are older than a 7 year old Mario game and probably smaller in size than the meme I'm going to post at the end of this to make fun of you.

I bet you also belong to the group of idiots who don't understand why Nintendo doesn't make their games for other platforms. You buy Nintendo to play Nintendo games. If that console also has great 3rd party support then that's an added bonus. Nintendo knows their quality and value and act accordingly. It isn't unethical.

3 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Yeah that was a really dumb thing to do and thankfully  Sega fans  in general are calling Sega out for pulling this stupid stunt.

Ah but I thought Sega didn't do this and it was only the small Italian man in red that did it. Also no comment on Atari's, as you would call it, watch hunts?

4 minutes ago, Lost Monkey said:

What part of "currently viable" do you not understand?  Go back to Google and look up Bleem!

Put it in a TikTok for them. That might be something they can digest better.

veruca-brat-ezgif.com-added-text.gif.9acf59ad96661c224ba25eba85bee376.gif

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

The mindset that only *new* games should have a premium price tag is what has driven the video game market to where it is now.  EA needs you to think that way, but Mario Odyssey is not Madden 17. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Rules for thee...

By your logic it's unethical that those Atari carts exist and sold at their price. Those games are older than a 7 year old Mario game and probably smaller in size than the meme I'm going to post at the end of this to make fun of you.

I bet you also belong to the group of idiots who don't understand why Nintendo doesn't make their games for other platforms. You buy Nintendo to play Nintendo games. If that console also has great 3rd party support then that's an added bonus. Nintendo knows their quality and value and act accordingly. It isn't unethical.

Ah but I thought Sega didn't do this and it was only the small Italian man in red that did it. Also no comment on Atari's, as you would call it, watch hunts?

Put it in a TikTok for them. That might be something they can digest better.

veruca-brat-ezgif.com-added-text.gif.9acf59ad96661c224ba25eba85bee376.gif

I mean while the meme is pretty funny you can't just pretend that  the basic rules of economics don't apply to this situation, the more you manufacture something the cheaper the components will become and the cheaper you can sell it to costumers.

Atari for example has manufactured  a very limited quantity of VCS consoles, meanwhile Sony and Microsoft manufacture millions of console's at a regular basis which means they get a discount from AMD on the parts while  Atari doesn't, this explains why despite being much weaker hardware wise the VCS sells for  roughly the same price as a Series S.

Another assumption you made is that I'm one of "those" people that want Nintendo games on other platforms, I don't actually, I believe one of the main reasons why modern gaming is so soulless is because modern gaming platforms all have nearly identical libraries, there are very few things that are as important for a gaming console as it's exclusive line up, I hate this modern nu gamer mentality that games should be made available everywhere just because, it destroys competition and innovation in the industry.

Edited by JPF997

Aww only 2 hours late to this level of epic incorrectness, another year, another one firing a drunken shot over the bow of the perceived enemy of gaming.

I find that first line such a comedic.  Let's see, how about a game of fill in the blank?  Let's replace Switch with A) Gameboy/Color, B) Nintendo DS, C) Wii.  Each spin of the wheel they had racked up impressive sales, a #1 spot, and they'd crack down on rom hustlers, make their half baked bs comments about emulation while doing it which even their sharks (lawyers) knows defeats the argument.

Next let's tear apart them attacking emulators?  When?  You mean Yuzu (and by proxy as they share...citra)?  Or do you mean the web based LoveROMs emulator packages?  You know what the common denominator is there, and also along with the ROMS themselves?  They're not after rom sites.  They're not after emulators.  They're after sites acting like Netflix/Gamefly *CHARGING* to use/get roms and emulation packages to run their materials.  They don't like people profiting off their shit as a pay per use broker.  That's when they go over and drop the boot.  Same when you get a hacker they can tie to it vs any random hacker who does it... it's the clowns giving their info to make a paid service or running the paid service they smack down and should.  It's not like Yuzu died, ooops...their goes dolphin, Mesen, snes9x, Sameboy, mgba, etc.

If you want to play the role of the attentive drama queen looking to really help people...at least base your arguments in facts, not boogeymen bullshit.  Sega does this stuff too as Beefy pulled up.  Golden Axe game gets snuffed, gee...maybe because they hvae a new golden axe coming out sooner or later this year?  Awww... big bad companies killing projects that threaten their own projects on IP they own...wow, you have a beef with this??  Kind of questioning if you grew up going to college and getting spoon fed those marxists principles on how property should be handled?  Bleem was another and that was SOny, and not the only time Sony had done some takedowns.  They've done them going back into the 90s, when they put a boot in the ass of LikSang that used to do wonderful gray area level flash kits among other gems of the day.

And Switch online is fine for what it is, it never was meant to be the be all end all of what MS and Sony does.  People need to accept that, they're not multiplayer online centric as the other two are in any scope of it.  What they have largely works, yes using a mobile phone app blows for voice in a few titles, it's a lame hurdle, but largely what's there is fine and the costs are very minimal too for what you do get.  You get what you pay for, and what little you pay for you get quite a bit as it is.

The fact you want to throw blue ocean(their term) out there, and be a douchebag to any fan calling them all gullible fanboys is making you look like a complete asshole, unreliable, unrelatable, and not going to win any fans except from those who also already aren't fans of their work/systems.  Good job, you just screamed like a tool into an echo chamber.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JPF997 said:

Nintendo's latest crackdown on emulation and game preservation just goes to show how greedy they  have become since the Switch's massive success, you don't see Atari or Sega or even Sony going after emulators like Nintendo does so I don't want to hear that lame corporate slave excuse that they're just protecting they're copyright. 

It's not  just the emulation debacle that Nintendo has been handling poorly, the Switch online still sucks, easily the worst online experience of any platform, they're subscription service is a joke, they still sell 7 year old games like Breath of the Wild, Mario kart 8 Deluxe and Mario Odyssey at full price, the Switch 2 is rumored to be weaker than the Steam Deck and just barely on par with the base PS4 when it comes out next year.

This is what happens when a company doesn't feel pressured to improve, no one competes directly with Nintendo, they exist in they're own blue ocean separated from the rest of the industry, with a legion of gullible fanboy's who will defend everything  that they do no matter how absurd it is and frankly I don't see things changing anytime soon.

Nintendo has frequently cracked down on piracy

They've long been accused of being greedy, even before Switch.  The "Let's Play" revenue sharing controversy comes to mind.

They've always been behind in online

Their best games have rarely dropped in price.

Their consoles have been underpowered next to the competition since the Gamecube days.

Even back to the NES days their practices were criticized as anti-competitive and draconian.

Nothing new here.    Nintendo does things Nintendo's way,  which can at times be irritating and other times be admirable.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, zzip said:

They've long been accused of being greedy, even before Switch.  The "Let's Play" revenue sharing controversy comes to mind.

Their consoles have been underpowered next to the competition since the Gamecube Wii days.

Even back to the NES days their practices were criticized as anti-competitive and draconian.

Nothing new here.    Nintendo does things Nintendo's way,  which can at times be irritating and other times be admirable.

Gamecube was not underpowered, but otherwise 👍

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, zzip said:

Their consoles have been underpowered next to the competition since the Gamecube days.

Damn I miss the GameCube, my favorite Nintendo console hands down, it was also the last time they seriously competed with the other console manufacturers in terms of power, unfortunately the casuals only wanted the PS2 during that generation.

Most of what Nintendo does is great, there's just a few little things that need to be improved from a consumer standpoint, namely the price fixing on games, better online, a new virtual console and a digital store that actually functions ( can't tell you how many times I thought I was going insane when trying to browse the Switch's online store, the lag when scrolling down and changing pages is legitimately insane ).

Edited by JPF997

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I can't wait for the threads of outrage on the unethical pricing of movie tickets when Phantom Menace returns to the theaters!

Kenan Thompson Eating GIF by Saturday Night Live

Anyone that actually goes to the theater to watch any Star Wars movie deserves to be price gauged, that crap is barely a step above Marvel capeshit movies, if you want to watch a real   sci-fi movie go watch Dune.

Edited by JPF997
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Aww only 2 hours late to this level of epic incorrectness, another year, another one firing a drunken shot over the bow of the perceived enemy of gaming.

I find that first line such a comedic.  Let's see, how about a game of fill in the blank?  Let's replace Switch with A) Gameboy/Color, B) Nintendo DS, C) Wii.  Each spin of the wheel they had racked up impressive sales, a #1 spot, and they'd crack down on rom hustlers, make their half baked bs comments about emulation while doing it which even their sharks (lawyers) knows defeats the argument.

Next let's tear apart them attacking emulators?  When?  You mean Yuzu (and by proxy as they share...citra)?  Or do you mean the web based LoveROMs emulator packages?  You know what the common denominator is there, and also along with the ROMS themselves?  They're not after rom sites.  They're not after emulators.  They're after sites acting like Netflix/Gamefly *CHARGING* to use/get roms and emulation packages to run their materials.  They don't like people profiting off their shit as a pay per use broker.  That's when they go over and drop the boot.  Same when you get a hacker they can tie to it vs any random hacker who does it... it's the clowns giving their info to make a paid service or running the paid service they smack down and should.  It's not like Yuzu died, ooops...their goes dolphin, Mesen, snes9x, Sameboy, mgba, etc.

If you want to play the role of the attentive drama queen looking to really help people...at least base your arguments in facts, not boogeymen bullshit.  Sega does this stuff too as Beefy pulled up.  Golden Axe game gets snuffed, gee...maybe because they hvae a new golden axe coming out sooner or later this year?  Awww... big bad companies killing projects that threaten their own projects on IP they own...wow, you have a beef with this??  Kind of questioning if you grew up going to college and getting spoon fed those marxists principles on how property should be handled?  Bleem was another and that was SOny, and not the only time Sony had done some takedowns.  They've done them going back into the 90s, when they put a boot in the ass of LikSang that used to do wonderful gray area level flash kits among other gems of the day.

And Switch online is fine for what it is, it never was meant to be the be all end all of what MS and Sony does.  People need to accept that, they're not multiplayer online centric as the other two are in any scope of it.  What they have largely works, yes using a mobile phone app blows for voice in a few titles, it's a lame hurdle, but largely what's there is fine and the costs are very minimal too for what you do get.  You get what you pay for, and what little you pay for you get quite a bit as it is.

The fact you want to throw blue ocean(their term) out there, and be a douchebag to any fan calling them all gullible fanboys is making you look like a complete asshole, unreliable, unrelatable, and not going to win any fans except from those who also already aren't fans of their work/systems.  Good job, you just screamed like a tool into an echo chamber.

Jesus Tanooki kun  did you really need to come down on me that hard, at the end of the day these are just gaming opinions bro.

In case  it wasn't obvious my main complaint was that Citra was shutting down, the Switch is still a very active platform that is being supported by Nintendo so of course it makes sense to go after emulators like yuzu, the 3ds however is pretty much dead, even the online store has shutdown, there's no reason for Nintendo to go after a 3ds emulator outside of pure greed.

When I said gullible fanboy's I wasn't talking about the vast majority of normal Nintendo fans, I was referring to people who will defend Nintendo's actions no matter how absurd they might be, just look up the YouTuber Harman Smith if you want a prime example of the types of people I was calling out.

Edited by JPF997