IGNORED

Atari 400 potential purchase

Chatting with a bloke in the pub about this, he has a batch of CRT monitors from when he used to maintain machines for for pubs but nothing suitable.

He did have an idea about using a video recorder to take the RF from the 400 and using the phono outs to connect to a more modern TV.

Does that sound like an option?

Cheers,

Simon

2 hours ago, smoore said:

Found a TV in the garage with an RF input ....

IMG_0182.thumb.jpg.3794b96b44d090a9d4b6fcc2eddf7044.jpg

IMG_0183.thumb.jpg.c3c4550c5141e4c53cbdb5bd49b4d755.jpg

RF input to 'modern' LCD TVs from all Atari 8 bits often looks rubbish like this. I'm not sure if it's to do with signal strength, signal processing or what.

The vertical bands down the left side of the screen are probably due to a poorly-designed RAM expansion board interacting with ANTIC DRAM refresh memory accesses.
I had a 32K RAM expansion board in a 400 back in the day with this exact problem.

Edited by drpeter

28 minutes ago, drpeter said:

RF input to 'modern' LCD TVs from all Atari 8 bits often looks rubbish like this. I'm not sure if it's to do with signal strength, signal processing or what.

The vertical bands down the left side of the screen are probably due to a poorly-designed RAM expansion board interacting with ANTIC DRAM refresh memory accesses.
I had a 32K RAM expansion board in a 400 back in the day with this exact problem.

I was thinking the TV may be too new to process the signal - I'm going to keep looking for a proper old CRT and see what happens then.

The seller mentioned that he thought the 48k upgrade was causing the interference, interesting that is you also mentioned.

I guess I'll have to open her up and take a look at some point, when I'm feeling brave enough!

5 hours ago, smoore said:

He did have an idea about using a video recorder to take the RF from the 400 and using the phono outs to connect to a more modern TV

It's a possibility, but you are adding another layer of processing, and it's the old adage of crap in , crap out.