IGNORED

Need a really fast dynamic DL build routine, for 24-high sprites...

Hey all:

Most of my games use a static DL, where all of the sprites are already defined in each DL and moved on or off screen depending on the vertical zone.

The remaining few use a dynamic DL routine where it adds a sprite to the end of whatever DL zone it occupies.  I attempted to use this in Bentley Bear, but it was actually *slower* than the static DL build.  It is used in ReZolve however (which uses 16-scanline zones with 16-high sprites so at most they take up 2 zones).

Along with the scroll routine that I've settled on (i.e. the same idea they used in Xevious), I need a faster DL build routine, one that can handle 24 high sprites on 8-scanline zones.  Nothing I have is fast enough to let the 'sprite loader' routine *and* the *screen scroll* routine to happen in vblank.  I don't have the memory for double-buffering, so I just need to find some tricks to build the DL as quickly as possible...

Any ideas?

Thanks, guys!

Bob

BTW, for all the years I've been doing this (almost 20), I happen to pick a game that contains quite a few things I've never done before...  But that's good; it takes me out of my 'comfort zone'. :D 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

BTW, for all the years I've been doing this (almost 20), I happen to pick a game that contains quite a few things I've never done before...  But that's good; it takes me out of my 'comfort zone'. :D 

Sounds good - always great to learn new stuff! And keeps it interesting once you start progressing!!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Apologies for not saying it earlier, but thank you for that idea. 

I was too busy think about how that would work... 😝

Frankly, if it's compatible with your background display, I'd go with 16 high zones. Half the time you'd able to draw a 24 pixels high sprite on only 2 DLs, half the time on 3 DLs. And with the saved memory, I'd go with double buffering and all timing issues would be gone (but only one year of experience on the 7800 now ! and I didn't even know that the 7800 existed before 🙂. Nice machine and nice to meet a legend of 7800 homebrew dev !).

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you so much for that waaay-too-nice compliment! :) Nice to meet you as well!

With regards to the 16 high display, thank you - I'll have to check if I can get the tile graphics down to match... Otherwise I'll be taking up more graphics area with the different combinations of two 8-high tile possibilities.  I'm already pushing it with 12.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1