IGNORED

What's your favorite console in modern times?

What's your favorite console in modern times?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best ?

• Xbox Series X/S
    • PS5
    • Switch
    • VCS
    • Steam Deck
    • Polymega
    • Evercade
    • ROG Ally
    • Analogue Pocket
    • Something else

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

My favorite right now is probably the Series X/S (used to think it was the ROG Ally but  these days I'm gaming almost exclusively on the Series X and the Super console X4 Plus), the reason why is primarily because of the backwards compatibility program, I've been playing so many games I've never had access to as a kid ( Dragon Age Origins, Saints Row 2, Far Cry 2 etc ), I'm also thinking of playing the 360 versions of PS2 classics that i used to play like King Kong 2005 and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, overall it's a great time to be gaming right now.

Edited by JPF997

Switch, I wouldn't count boutique items, even if I did, still Switch.  It's the only one of the three on the market that actually offers any unique value vs the cost of the system and continued use.  The other twos hardware are just walled garden capped performance machines from a good many years ago on the PC market, and you know when you jump systems they don't let you carry stuff forward without usually buying it again so I cut them out of my life for a good PC that'll run console stuff as nice as the home unit in how PCs are now around a decade so over time it pays for itself.  So my preferred modern console is the PC, but since that's out, Switch.

I voted 'something else'... because I'm disappointed with all the current consoles. Where are the quality exclusives?? Switch, PS5, and xsx have been out for years but most of their top tier games are just upgrades of Wii U, PS4, and xbone titles. Switch has a few exclusives I like... TotK/Mario Odyssey/MUA3 but it's also flooded with rehashes of 1st party Wii U games that I played years ago. PS5 and xsx fare even worse with most PS5 games still being released on PS4 as well. I don't care if the new systems offer 4k, HDR, 60 fps, ssd, etc. If I wanted specs I'd get a gaming PC. I'll stick with PS4 as my 'favorite in modern times' for now.

Edited by boog

19 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

3DS all the way. The Switch is great and has a huge library, but it's too big for a handheld, and doesn't have folders, StreetPass, and most of all, 3D. 😔

I need to explore the 3DS and DS libraries more than what I already have, that's for sure.

9 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Mega Drive is still (kind of) being produced in Brazil, so I choose MD, obviously. It still has more exclusives than PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series combined lol

Same goes for the Master System, that console is gonna outlast us all at this point  ( funny how history says that the NES won that generation when in reality the Master System has already outlived it by 2 decades).

Is it really?  We're talking about TecToy right?  They're still actively making and pushing various forms of Sega Master System, never have relented.  In the last few years or so, they redid their very high quality SMS/GG (closed, no SD card adds) handheld.  It came out in this red box and they swapped out a few games that sucked more than the others and added in a few really good additions raising the game count a bit.  I'd love to get my hands on that thing.  Master Sytstem Portatil.

It raises the game count from 30 to 40, and it's up on the console variation site:

https://consolevariations.com/collectibles/tec-toy-master-system-portable-console

Elegant basic design, comfy to use as it's modeled after the older one the meh atgames lucked into.  The screen is of quite good quality for the market/budget and speaker has good tone/volume, dpad comfy, buttons work well all around.

Tec Toy will ensure that the MD and Master System live for a long time. They aren't really Master Systems or Mega Drives, just fancy emulator boxes as of some time ago, but the idea that they are still in production is nice. This probably doesn't really make them modern game consoles, but close enough, I guess.

57 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

They aren't really Master Systems or Mega Drives, just fancy emulator boxes

So, exactly like the countless Famicom clones that are still made today. So not sure the Master System won that generation as JPF claims. 🙄

Tec Toy systems are officially licensed and I'm pretty sure the Famiclones aren't, unless you want to count the Famicom and NES mini systems Nintendo made a few years ago, but other than that, yep.

Edit: "a few years ago"... that was 7.5 years ago! I feel old now.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

So, exactly like the countless Famicom clones that are still made today. So not sure the Master System won that generation as JPF claims. 🙄

The big difference is that TEC Toy Sega console's are officially licensed, there has never been a year since 1989 that TEC Toy hasn't a sold a Sega console , sure since the 2000s they switched to using emulation instead of original hardware but the partnership with Sega never ended.

Yeah the Tectoy story is a good one, and they're right, they also use real carts in some, roms and emulation in others, and a bit further back more interesting chips.  ATGames/Blaze is the same with this, the last 2 iterations of the Genesis system they did wasn't a steaming pile of firecore shit, went with android and while the first had a few glitches they were minor, but the one that came out as the license was jerked for their own first mini console ran GenesisGX Plus and it was rock solid as much if not MORE than the M2 did with Sega's official NON cart using console.  If you ever want one, look for a boxed system, the art slightly changed having 5 vs 4 circles on the front to highlight features.  It's a worthy purchase I almost made, but ended up with a Mega Sg instead. ;)

• Like 1