IGNORED

A remake of Frogger in 4k.

A remake of Frogger, in 4k, without flicker (currently).

It has always been on my want-list to have a nice cartridge version of Frogger; a version that doesn't require the Supercharger, nor any other extended hardware.  I always felt that it could be done, because Frogger is a simple game that seems to align nicely with the capabilities of the 2600 hardware.

So, I've finally done it, I've got most of Frogger implemented and working pretty well.  It does contain a bit of level progression (it's subtle, so it might be hard to notice).  Currently, it's missing the Lady Frog, the Fly, the Crocodiles, and the Snake... and more objects in the river, and maybe some more variety (the kernels are relatively flexible).  Some of those things will definitely require adding flicker to the mix.  I have ~300 bytes left, so I might / should be able to squeeze all those things in.

Overall, this was a fun project that took about 4 weeks.  Most of the project is written in C.  Only the score kernel, the frogs-at-home kernel, and the repositioning routines are written in ASM.  I'll probably convert the other kernels over to ASM so that I can utilize early-HMOVEs to hide those black bars on the far left.  I figured this was a good point to share a ROM with everyone.

Enjoy.

Frogger_20240401_NTSC.bin

• Like 34

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Frogger on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Games:

• Like 3

Just in way of warning, the file comes up as infected on my system and won't download unless forced. (There are way too many false positives for viruses on Windows 10. What's that all about? If Microsoft is trying to turn Windows into a walled garden, that genie has been out of the bottle far too long to make that happen. Don't even bother.)

Anyway. After making Microsoft do what it should have done in the first place, I ran Frogger 2024 in Stella. It reminds me a lot of the Starpath version, except here the frog moves more smoothly when leaping vertically, a definite improvement. I'd say bump the game up to 8K and add in more music. Maybe make the timer more generous so you don't die just short of the frog bays.

51 minutes ago, Jess Ragan said:

Just in way of warning, the file comes up as infected on my system and won't download unless forced. (There are way too many false positives for viruses on Windows 10. What's that all about? If Microsoft is trying to turn Windows into a walled garden, that genie has been out of the bottle far too long to make that happen. Don't even bother.)

It's a problem with the browser, not with the file. The same thing is happening with the Paddlefield game. I get a false positive with both Firefox and Chrome. Firefox lets me bypass the warning.

On 4/1/2024 at 12:54 PM, splendidnut said:

Currently, it's missing the Lady Frog, the Fly, the Crocodiles, and the Snake... and more objects in the river, and maybe some more variety (the kernels are relatively flexible).  Some of those things will definitely require adding flicker to the mix.  I have ~300 bytes left, so I might / should be able to squeeze all those things in.

If the otter makes it in, I'll be seriously impressed :D

This is a great version of the game, though, and excellent job on getting into 4K.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, Zoyx said:

It's a problem with the browser, not with the file. The same thing is happening with the Paddlefield game. I get a false positive with both Firefox and Chrome. Firefox lets me bypass the warning.

The browser doesn't like the .bin file extension :roll:  Copy the link to the file, download with another browser, enjoy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

The browser doesn't like the .bin file extension :roll:  Copy the link to the file, download with another browser, enjoy.

I don't think it is the .bin extension because it is intermittent. Some kind of signature within the file, probably.

2 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

I don't think it is the .bin extension because it is intermittent. Some kind of signature within the file, probably.

Nope, it really is that dumb.  Check the following thread:

Note that I'm not saying that there aren't other potential issues, just that in this case the browser was literally blocking by file extension.

I appreciate the effort and I am impressed with your coding chops. But we don't need another Frogger. It is possible to make a cartridge out of the SuperCharger version if that is the goal.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

I appreciate the effort and I am impressed with your coding chops. But we don't need another Frogger. It is possible to make a cartridge out of the SuperCharger version if that is the goal.

I was just discussing this on Facebork.  The general opinion is that Melody boards can make SuperCharger repros.  But, with AtariAge being part of Atari I'm not sure how that'd fly.

On the other hand this version could probably be converted into an actual SuperCharger game since it's 4k.

1 minute ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Nope, it really is that dumb.  Check the following thread:

It is intermittent with me. Sometimes a .bin file is blocked for me, sometimes not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

I was just discussing this on Facebork.  The general opinion is that Melody boards can make SuperCharger repros.  But, with AtariAge being part of Atari I'm not sure how that'd fly.

On the other hand this version could probably be converted into an actual SuperCharger game since it's 4k.

Maybe @Albert will pop in and give us a ruling on a Melody cart of a SuperCharger game.

24 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

I appreciate the effort and I am impressed with your coding chops.

You should have ended there.

But we don't need another Frogger.

because that's pretty shitty.

It is possible to make a cartridge out of the SuperCharger version if that is the goal.

The goal was clearly stated.

On 4/1/2024 at 12:54 PM, splendidnut said:

It has always been on my want-list to have a nice cartridge version of Frogger; a version that doesn't require the Supercharger, nor any other extended hardware.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

You should have ended there.

because that's pretty shitty.

The goal was clearly stated.

Can you put the SuperCharger version on a melody cart? I can run the game on my Harmony Encore. Does Melody Cart count as extended hardware?

@Zoyx  I'd appreciate it if you would stay on topic.  If you want to ask about the Supercharger version and how to get that on a cart, please create a separate topic for that.

You are more than welcome to ask questions regarding this version... as that would actually be on topic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, splendidnut said:

@Zoyx  I'd appreciate it if you would stay on topic.  If you want to ask about the Supercharger version and how to get that on a cart, please create a separate topic for that.

You are more than welcome to ask questions regarding this version... as that would actually be on topic.

Sounds good.