IGNORED

Why E.T. fails in video games?

4 minutes ago, Serguei2 said:

E.T. is not the only Universal Studios movie has made.

There also are Jurassic Park and King Kong ported to video games and I never hear they have problems too.

Movie games don't have a great reputation because most are rushed merchandising opportunities rather than be designed to be great games in their own right.

The games in this article sound more like a labor of love, but maybe it's because the audience for ET had grown up by then, and ET didn't resonate with younger people 

• Like 1

Also I don't think ET lends itself to an action game anyway, and back in the days, most movie based video games were action games since they catered to an audience that expected simple concepts. For instance, the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade action game was not as good as the point & click game, but probably sold a lot more (it was released on way more systems anyway).

The fact that Spielberg multiple times have said there will never be any sequel or reboot to the E.T. movie also plays in here. What we have is a 40+ year old movie, possibly some book based around it and not much more. Not an entire universe, no side stories, nothing that will make anyone below 40 years think about it more than a few minutes. Yes, the old movie still is watchable. The same probably can be said about many 40-60 year old movies, but that alone would not carry traction for successful spinoff products like video games many decades later. While I basically skimmed the article, I can't remember much happened in 2002 for the 20 year anniversary, much less in 2022 for the 40 year anniversary.

At one point you can argue that an IP which hasn't been in use for a while should be less costly to license, but if it isn't in circulation, you need one or more AAA smash hits for those to be profitable. On the other hand if you have the ideas and resources to make AAA smash hit video games, perhaps you don't need the E.T. license in the first place?

Edit: At this point, I think the most renewing that could happen to the E.T. franchise (for lack of better word), is if anyone obtains rights to make a musical out of it. You might laugh, but numerous movies have become musicals in recent years, one of the strongest examples perhaps is Back to the Future. I'm not sure Spielberg would let that happen as well, perhaps depending on who writes the script and how many million dollars he is offered.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Serguei2 said:

I wonder why E.T. the extra-terrestrial always fail in video games?

https://www.timeextension.com/features/20-years-after-ataris-e-t-another-company-made-the-same-mistake

E.T. is not the only Universal Studios movie has made.

There also are Jurassic Park and King Kong ported to video games and I never hear they have problems too.

Several JP and King Kong games were terrible, but also others (especially for JP) were good or at least decent.
As Roots.Genoa said, ET don't really have a concept or a story that can make for a thrilling video game. E.T would probably works well as a point'n'click game/puzzle game, but it's not exactly the right era for it.

JP games can take several forms, from action, to exploration, to puzzles, and even as tycoon games. King Kong is extremely well suited for action-packing games.

There are some stories that just don't really translated well in a video game, and ET is one of them.

Also, to be fair, the movie has lost alot of steam.
It's been almost two decades since it was shown on prime time on TV here, and absolutely nobody under the age of 30 I know saw the movie. Some knows it exist, but that's about it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2024 at 3:30 PM, carlsson said:

The fact that Spielberg multiple times have said there will never be any sequel or reboot to the E.T. movie also plays in here. What we have is a 40+ year old movie, possibly some book based around it and not much more.

There was a slick ET ride at Universal in California that I rode in the 90s. While in line you had to get a "passport" that you would hand to the operator when you boarded the ride. The carriage was set up to look like the bikes from the movie, complete with a basket at the front containing ET.  After a chase sequence the bikes did a space warp to ET's planet.  At the end of the ride ET said goodbye to everyone by name, which you supplied when getting the "passport". 

Looks like that ride closed in 2003, though there's still a version of it in Florida.

found an image from here:

image.thumb.jpeg.d4f46a0dd2073f1bdc7105bb19d2a892.jpeg

• Like 2