IGNORED

17 years late, but I'm enjoying Wii

8 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Damn I had completely forgotten about The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return. I'm even wondering if I was aware of its existence...

I played a heck of a lot of the 2nd game, but not so much the 3rd.
And I bought the fourth game (I always forget what it's called...Overkill?) but haven't tried it yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Asaki said:

I played a heck of a lot of the 2nd game, but not so much the 3rd.
And I bought the fourth game (I always forget what it's called...Overkill?) but haven't tried it yet.

It's not the canonical fourth game though, it's more of a spin-off developed by a London studio. It has a good reputation and it's a good lightgun game but I don't really like it, because its "grindhouse" look doesn't fit The House of the Dead series to me. The games always had a B-movie style, sure, but not self conscious imho.

On 4/12/2024 at 9:50 AM, Cynicaster said:

Light gun games are kind of a no-brainer due to the Wii controls and my desire for arcade-y experiences, so I've picked up a second Wii remote and 2 zappers.  Some cool light-gun type games I've been playing: House of the Dead, Resident Evil, Ghost Squad, Chicken Riot, Medal of Honor Heroes 2

The Wii is a great console, and the light gun games are a big reason why. Check out Dead Space: Extraction as well. HotD 2&3 is great also, as was already mentioned.

Metroid Prime: Corruption was my favorite game of the generation. It's outstanding.

• Like 2

I've played quite a bit of House of the Dead 1&2 Return, as well as Overkill.  I'd heard of House of the Dead but never played any of them until here on the Wii.  Really cool games for sure.  

I think I like Overkill the best overall gameplay-wise, but it's pretty annoying how the cutscenes have F-bombs every 5 seconds.  I mean, I'm not a prude by any means but it gets irritating and adds nothing.  I also don't really care for the boss battles where you need to sink about 600 million shots into the boss to beat him while he goes through the same repetitive movements and attacks.  It's like, enough already, let's move on.  

On a completely different note, I'd highly recommend Kid Adventures: Sky Captain.  Don't let the lame-sounding title fool you, this game is really fun and addictive.  You basically fly around using "tilt" controls on the Wii remote and perform various objectives.  It's very smooth and satisfying once you get the hang of the controls.  

• Like 1