IGNORED

Internal 7800 Documents...

Curt Vendel

Ok, well I said I'd have these docs up by Sunday, but here is one of the first of many internal GCC documents on the Atari 7800, Maria chip and many other area's of the Atari 7800 design.

GCC Maria 1702B SpecificationsGCC Maria 1702B Chip Specifications

Much more to follow, enjoy!!!

Curt

The Atari History Site

Curt...

That link is coming up null for me?

Also this new info is gonna kick ass for the emu authors out there. The main problem with current 7800 emulation (With respect to Dan Boris for his outstanding work), is that most of the Maria graphic stuff had to be more or less guessed out on how it worked.

This new document should help make it possible to implement the odd video tricks and bankswitching routines the 10% of the unemulated games use.

Yeah!!!

So now the link just needs to be checked?

"The main problem with current 7800 emulation (With respect to Dan Boris for his outstanding work), is that most of the Maria graphic stuff had to be more or less guessed out on how it worked."

This is incorrect. I had actual Maria programmers guide when I developed the emulator and didn't really have to guess at anything. The problems with the video emulation on the 7800, like most systems, is emulating the stuff that is NOT documented anywhere.

With that said, the document that Curt posted is very cool, I love getting a look at stuff like this. I will have to take some time to peruse this in detail.

Dan

I apologize Mr. Boris.

I simply made this remark based on what you told me in an email about two months ago.

I regret I don't have the Email message anymore as that server auto deletes everything older than 15days. But basically I had asked you about the reason as to why the Activision games didn't work...and also asked about the Specifics of Modding the 7800 as I was curious to dump some of the roms that weren't avail.

You stated to me at that time...that all the roms had been dumped but due to the various odd video calls in the Maria that they wouldn't function properly. You did actually state that you have to program from little to know documentation regarding the Maria and hence had programmed some of the graphics from observation. I can't remember if you specifically used the work "Guessed" or not but I do know the rest was in there.

Again, I wish I still had the copy of the original form which to forward in your direction.

Besides, there is no need to get upset with this. I said already that I think your work was incredible....hell without you...there wouldn't be a 7800 emulator currently.

*sigh*....

I apologize if you took this as a direct stab as it wasn't meant to be that way. Either way I hope the newly aquired documents from Mr. Vendel assist in further emulation of the 7800.