IGNORED

Classic console recommendations?

These are definitively the best consoles when it comes down to collecting games with a fair price, other than maybe the NES. I noticed that your list doesn't have any portable consoles though, either the Game Boy or the DS could be good ones to start. I'd recommend getting a Master System adapter for the Genesis but since you are from the USA it probably isn't that easy to find the games over there.

• Like 2

I'm a little stunned to see the NES left out and agreed, no handhelds?  Game Boy/Color if you're sticking to 80s/90s stuff seems pretty weak to exclude.  Also if price is a sticking point on the Nintendo side, the Famicom games and Super Famicom games come in moderately to a lot cheaper to their US counterparts, and plenty of the region exclusive stuff that's playable without translation isn't a wallet buster either.  Some are, but a lot of it isn't in perspective of things.  And if you're fine with Genesis you really should look at the SMS/GG options too, a very solid Sega piece of 8bit goodness.

• Like 1

The PlayStation 2 has a very large selection of classic game compilations (ranging from the Genesis to the Intellivision, and several arcade compilations). There is also a good amount of RPGs. 

The NES has a just massive selection across all genres. I own several "Famiclones" with games not otherwise released in North America. 

Personally, I am not a fan of handhelds so I have no recommendations.  

• Like 1

What are your criteria? What kinds of games are you into? Are you trying to collect physical copies of games, or are you good with SD solutions?

Judging from what you already have, I'm guessing you're primarily into the 16/32/64-bit era, in which case you have most of the bases covered already. There are certainly other interesting platforms from that era as well, but they come with a lot of caveats. But if you're interested in 8-bit systems, the NES is essential. Post-'90s, PlayStation 2 checks a whole heck of a lot of boxes, as well.

If you're looking at handhelds, the Game Boy Advance is a slam dunk. I personally prefer the Game Boy Color's style and form factor, but GBA plays all original GB and GBC games on top of its own excellent library. Either way, you'll want one with a new IPS screen, whether you do the mod yourself or buy a pre-modded unit. Naturally they're a bit spendier than unmodded systems, but so worth it. (Same advice applies to NeoGeo Pocket Color, Game Gear, and Lynx.)

If you are interested in early '80s gaming but find the consoles of the era too esoteric, there are several computer platforms that essentially double as game consoles, with substantial cartridge libraries (and disk and tape, if you want to mess with that) that are fun to collect. Most of these have SD-card solutions available for them, as well. Commodore 64 and Atari 400/800/XL are arguably the best of these; the TI-99/4a and Commodore VIC-20 are a little more niche these days but have some great stuff. (VIC-20 cartridges are particularly fun to collect, IMO!) 

• Like 2

If you'd list some games or genres you like, then people could make some intelligent suggestions.  As is, this is a list of consoles and then asking for more, and everyone's gonna just list their favorite consoles.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DeathAdderSF said:

Super A'can FTW. 😃

there is one on eBay right now at the bargain price of 4000 dollars! and what a library, that ok fighting game and that Bomber Man clone, doesn't get better!

more seriously odyssey 2, still more affordable than most classic consoles, and the library as a whole is pretty good, 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2024 at 3:47 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Nomad

I would never suggest the Nomad (or the Turbo Express) without the caveat that it’s basically useless if you don’t replace the screen those things sucked even when they were new.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go that far, the Nomad was a blue hued a little but it wasn't a blur factory like Game Gear and Lynx, nor was it off resolution so some text etc got jacked up like the TE/GT sadly did.  The Nomad isn't ideal but it's more than serviceable if it hasn't aged into a sorry state.  The one I had was pre-moded by an incompetent, so I had to fix the current and got a basic composite LCD put in, didn't go all insane-o like the gameboy stuff with iphone style panels these days.  Honestly, I like it as such, it like the Supaboy S/Black style softens the visuals in a screwball way it blends things like a solid CRT of the 80s would have so there's an appeal there.

I'll second the GBA even if it's not a 'console-console'. For a long time this was my favorite system. There's a varied library, region free, lots of fan translations and homebrews, and flash carts for it are coming back in style. Its library is a nice compliment to the style of SNES/Genesis games but adds considerably more horsepower to the mix. Also don't underestimate the joy of digging through a big sack of loose carts looking for the right one.

since there are so many hardware options, I'd recommend getting something a little special/hipstery, like:

• Analogue Pocket (obviously offers 'some' additional functionality) 🙄
  • a Game Boy Micro for a great screen, on just the tiniest little funster. (my eyes are now too old to use these)
  • a game boy 'macro' (a DS/DSL with top screen removed, aliexpress sells them cheap)
  • an IPS-modded original unit (watch for latency on some mod kits)

There are also modern consolizer kits that I confess I don't have experience with but look neat.

Well with the Pocket, if you get the dock, you are into classic console at that rate since it's basically a non-shitty Gameboy Player which the cube had going for it.  Using the dock it's effectively a GB, GBC and GBA unit by default at a level no other commercial project ever pulled off (SGB or GBP.)  It's a really strong recommend ont hat, and at the moment they have the unit and dock restocked, so if you act now you won't get some disgusting subhuman garbage scalper trying to rip you off for 2-3x the price.

On 5/13/2024 at 10:27 PM, harmonyFM said:

I would never suggest the Nomad (or the Turbo Express) without the caveat that it’s basically useless if you don’t replace the screen those things sucked even when they were new.

I can no miss Thunder Force IV on the stock Nomad screen. No excuses~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1