IGNORED

Commodore & Taito Work To Resurrect The Newzealand Story

Interesting!

As for the New Zealand Story, I've never heard of it.  Seems like an interesting choice.  My favorite Taito game of all-time is Jungle Hunt.  I still play it all the time, probably every single week.  I'm sure Jungle Hunt is up there in my list of "most amount of time played" in the arcade when I was a kid.

While I personally didn't own a Commodore VIC-20 or C64 (we went the IBM PC route), they were hugely popular around me, and many of my friends had them.  We certainly logged a lot of time on them playing games.

The "About" section of the Commodore website reads like someone there got inspired by Atari.  😀  Reading that, you get the impression that someone saw Atari's most recent product introductions (both consoles and games), the success of many of them, and then got inspired to do something similar.  Nothing wrong with that at all.  

I was trying to find some corporate history as to how the current incarnation of Commodore came to exist, but the info in my brief research was pretty sparse.

• Like 2

Yeah, I haven't had much luck in finding out their recent history either. I talked with one of their guys to find out if they had a US strategy in place, but it doesn't sound like it for the time being. One of their guys does seem to fundamentally understand what an arcade game is though - he's of the type that thinks anything simple is "arcade." No big deal though.

I only played Jungle Hunt on the Atari systems (more on the 800 than the 2600 version), but always enjoyed that one too. Space Dungeon is also a fantastic game, but never went anywhere in arcades and only got that port to the 5200. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Yeah, I haven't had much luck in finding out their recent history either. I talked with one of their guys to find out if they had a US strategy in place, but it doesn't sound like it for the time being. One of their guys does seem to fundamentally understand what an arcade game is though - he's of the type that thinks anything simple is "arcade." No big deal though.

I only played Jungle Hunt on the Atari systems (more on the 800 than the 2600 version), but always enjoyed that one too. Space Dungeon is also a fantastic game, but never went anywhere in arcades and only got that port to the 5200. 

I just played the arcade version of Space Dungeon for a while.   Super cool game.   Very "Robotron"-like but a lot more complex.   It is also very challenging!!

• 1 month later...

I looked into the Commodore Inc. site, I couldn’t really see much sign of activity there:

their laptops were gone from the shop and you could only get some headsets or merch or some stuff.

I found no tech-reviews on any of their hsrdware products anywhere.

Are they in the processing of re-starting everything?

Anyway - love New Zealand Story, just so incredibly hard! 

22 hours ago, Giles N said:

I looked into the Commodore Inc. site, I couldn’t really see much sign of activity there:

their laptops were gone from the shop and you could only get some headsets or merch or some stuff.

I found no tech-reviews on any of their hsrdware products anywhere.

Are they in the processing of re-starting everything?

Anyway - love New Zealand Story, just so incredibly hard! 

I've spoken with one of their guys on LinkedIn and I mainly follow them there, but its been a little tough to get info from them. They are all based out of Italy at the moment - but they do own the brand/IP. I asked them about their US plans and they made it sound like Europe is their only focus until next year, or 2026. They also just announced moving over to ARM CPUs for their laptops, but no reviews here since I'd guess that no one wants to bother importing them.

So in thinking about it, this game could be limited to Europe for the time being, if that's all the license covers. But, looking at their software output, it seems like it's mainly mobile stuff.

24 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I asked them about their US plans and they made it sound like Europe is their only focus until next year, or 2026. They also just announced moving over to ARM CPUs for their laptops, but no reviews here since I'd guess that no one wants to bother importing them.

I live in Norway in Europe; I find nothing of reviews (- hardly news -) about any of their products at all… 

My guess is that they have just very recently been starting things up, or that they make things more like ‘Analogue’

- in very limited stocks/runs.

However, that they have interaction with Taito is a good sign.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 4:40 PM, Giles N said:

I live in Norway in Europe; I find nothing of reviews (- hardly news -) about any of their products at all… 

My guess is that they have just very recently been starting things up, or that they make things more like ‘Analogue’

- in very limited stocks/runs.

However, that they have interaction with Taito is a good sign.

Yeah, I can't figure out exactly when this new thing got started, it's definitely within the past few years. 

No clue what their laptops come with, but low-hanging fruit seems like they should package any games that they own with an Amiga & C64 emulator and promote that, or maybe do game packs in some way. They obviously know they had a bit to do with games, so might as well lean into that more when it comes to selling hardware.  Or maybe the plan is get The Newzealand Story as pack-in game - not that such a game would move units, lol