IGNORED

RELEASE: GIF 99 Viewer for V9938/58 Systems v1.05 by O.P.A.

Posted (edited)

GIF 99 Viewer for V9938/58 Systems v1.05 by O.P.A.

There was some discussion last week during the Zoom call about viewing GIF files on the /4a and Geneve. So I dusted off some old source code and have released it and uploaded it to the GitHub as per my previous releases.

* GIF99OPA v1.05 by Gary Bowser and Achim Liese
* 1989 Source Code Release
* By Oasis Pensive Abacutors
* Via Gary Bowser (GARYOPA)
* Released April 30th, 2024
* Uploaded to ti99.atariage.com
GIF-S    -> GIF/Viewer Main Source Assemble File
GIF-MAIN -> GIF/Viewer Main Assembly Source Code
GIF-SUBS -> GIF/Viewer Common Used BL Sub-Routines
GIF-BLWP -> GIF/Viewer Video and DSR BLWP Routines
GIF-DATA -> GIF/Viewer Data/Text Block at The End!

Some notes about this release, it is partly based on a plain 9918 GIF Viewer (before V9938 support) by Achim Liese and some sections are missing comments as they were left-over bits from a disassembly, which I had not go thru totally and optimized and updated for V9938 support. There is also a few pieces I forgot what part that Paul Charlton helped out on as well.

Second it is basically designed to load 320x200 256 color GIF's and 640x320 16 color GIF's -- The later format 16 color is hard to generate these days, you need to get a "LowColor" plugin for Paint.net to allow saving in that format these days. Included in the upload is some sample working GIF's of Berry, Gregory, Lou which were taken from the original JPG format uploaded on WHTech under "Users Photos".

Finally, there is no "text listed" for menu control, but it is basically you enter the "drive number" and it catalogs the disk, and displays the first file that is in GIF format (it also seems to handle MYART files as well), and then you can press X to skip to the next image, or E to go back an image, and ENTER to display more info about the image itself, like colors, size, etc. -- When on the "image info" screen, you can use the arrow keys to shift it up or down or left or right, helpful if you wish to view a larger image in the mode it has selected, it will pick either 256x212 (256 colors) or 512x424 (16 colors) depending on the image size. -- Pressing ENTER again will start the loading of the image, and after the image is displayed pressing either Space or Enter will return you to file name picker. -- There is no "slideshow mode" and there is "no boost in speed" by using extra ram or caching or tables, this is simple program all fitted within the 8k >2000 space with buffers in the >A000 space of the 32k, it doesn't use extra ram to make things go faster in displaying the image.

GITHUB Release Page: https://github.com/gary99opa/Gif99Viewer

Enjoy!

-=(GaryOPA)=-

GIF99Viewer.jpg

GIF99OPA58.dsk GIF99Viewer-Source-Files-Only.zip GIF99Viewer_1_05_GARYOPA_04_30_2024.zip

Edited by Gary from OPA
Added GITHUB Repo Link
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Gary, I don't have a github account setup.

If someone would like to send a donation for the release of this software, where could they send the funds, do you have a paypal setup?

13 minutes ago, dhe said:

Gary, I don't have a github account setup.

If someone would like to send a donation for the release of this software, where could they send the funds, do you have a paypal setup?

Besides GitHub Sponsors, there is my Patreon page at: https://www.patreon.com/GaryOPA and on my Twitter profile there is a "send tips" feature, but the easiest way is via PayPal at: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/bowsergary

Thanks for making the files, and especially the soure, available.

With your permission, I would like to develop something for the MDOS side on the Geneve if that is ok?

Thanks again.

Beery

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Thanks for making the files, and especially the soure, available.

With your permission, I would like to develop something for the MDOS side on the Geneve if that is ok?

Thanks again.

Beery

Yes not a problem all source released on GitHub as gnu 3 you welcome to do what you want with it. Would be nice to get maybe the colors working better but not sure if that possible without an external pallette chip.

Did you notice I included you as one of the sample gifs, of course much younger back then.

Edited by Gary from OPA
  • Like 1

Yeah, I saw the GIF.  Been a long time since I looked like that.  

On the Geneve, it gives the info on the GIF, but does not display the graphic.  It looks like it may be setting up for PAL, however, even with that, it does not load the graphic as there is no disk activity.

I am hoping someone else with a Geneve can test to see whether the program works for them.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Yeah, I saw the GIF.  Been a long time since I looked like that.  

On the Geneve, it gives the info on the GIF, but does not display the graphic.  It looks like it may be setting up for PAL, however, even with that, it does not load the graphic as there is no disk activity.

I am hoping someone else with a Geneve can test to see whether the program works for them.

Does it stay on the info screen? Or just a black background? On the info screen does arrow keys work to adjust the left/right up/down and then after adjusting did you press enter?

It should NOT be using any PAL settings. Did you try a regular floppy on the Geneve or ide or Scsi? Wondering if it's a problem with dsr disk access?

Finally, how many colors does it say if 002 then the graphic you trying to load has been generated by a newer GIF program that is not following the old original gif89a specs.

I found at first when retesting this program it wouldn't load images I saved in paint.net but it would load ones saved by good old Microsoft Windows Paint. And only after I added the lowcolor plugin to paint.net did it generate gif files that this viewer understands without errors.

Edited by Gary from OPA
added more info

22 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

Does it stay on the info screen? Or just a black background? On the info screen does arrow keys work to adjust the left/right up/down and then after adjusting did you press enter?

It should NOT be using any PAL settings. Did you try a regular floppy on the Geneve or ide or Scsi? Wondering if it's a problem with dsr disk access?

Finally, how many colors does it say if 002 then the graphic you trying to load has been generated by a newer GIF program that is not following the old original gif89a specs.

I found at first when retesting this program it wouldn't load images I saved in paint.net but it would load ones saved by good old Microsoft Windows Paint. And only after I added the lowcolor plugin to paint.net did it generate gif files that this viewer understands without errors.

Gary,

See the MOV file above I took.

Thanks.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Gary,

See the MOV file above I took.

Thanks.

Hmm. Ok I will look through the source and see. Maybe it is doing something strange with the registry settings for the v9938. I might not notice it since my avpc card is going through a RGB to VGA adapter board.

I will get back to you by tomorrow or Friday. Today wiped out after working out in the backyard all day fixing it up for summer.

Edited by Gary from OPA

46 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Hmm. Ok I will look through the source and see. Maybe it is doing something strange with the registry settings for the v9938. I might not notice it since my avpc card is going through a RGB to VGA adapter board.

I will get back to you by tomorrow or Friday. Today wiped out after working out in the backyard all day fixing it up for summer.

No problem.  Things have been busy and hectic here as well.

Just a FYI, I tested under Geneve emulation with MAME and it does not display the file with it either.

On 5/1/2024 at 8:44 AM, Gary from OPA said:

Second it is basically designed to load 320x200 256 color GIF's and 640x320 16 color GIF's -- The later format 16 color is hard to generate these days, you need to get a "LowColor" plugin for Paint.net to allow saving in that format these days. Included in the upload is some sample working GIF's of Berry, Gregory, Lou which were taken from the original JPG format uploaded on WHTech under "Users Photos".

I use Paint Shop Pro from 2001 all the time to generate 16 color indexed images. It still works fine in Windows 10.

https://winworldpc.com/product/paint-shop-pro/7x

• Like 2

Me too, it does not load the picture on the (emulated) Geneve, but it works on the TI-99/4A with EVPC. On the Geneve, there is no indication of a crash, just no floppy operation. The debugger shows that it seems to run in a loop with a key scan (possibly at the end, having skipped the load process).

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

Me too, it does not load the picture on the (emulated) Geneve, but it works on the TI-99/4A with EVPC. On the Geneve, there is no indication of a crash, just no floppy operation. The debugger shows that it seems to run in a loop with a key scan (possibly at the end, having skipped the load process).

Thanks for the update. Do you see anything in the debugger about it doing file access or something. I will go through that part of the code as well it shouldn't be using any non standard DSR stuff. I really got to work on getting mame running right so I can test Geneve issues since I don't have my real geneve anymore.

13 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Funny... I actually have a retail copy of version 5 or 6 of this in my discs.  Neat.

I also have a genuine, licensed CD-ROM, but no drive to read it any longer. It's an excellent program for any retro computer hobby image editing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Asmusr said:

I use Paint Shop Pro from 2001 all the time to generate 16 color indexed images. It still works fine in Windows 10.

https://winworldpc.com/product/paint-shop-pro/7x

Thanks for this I forgot about paint shop pro. For those using paint net here is the link to the lowcolor.dll plugin from 2009 you place it into the filetypes directory and it gives you new save as options and even tho the plugin is old it works fine on the latest version of paint net

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/15317-low-color-filetype-bmp-gif-png-tiff-20091204/

• Like 1

Since nobody mentioned GIMP, I tried for myself. There is indeed a suitable palette from the MSX people; I now just need a tool to convert the GIF file on the PC file system to a Dis/Fix 128 file. Do we have such a tool?

(I did not plan to use the import for such a purpose, so this does not work in TIImageTool. But this could be another enhancement for later.)

25 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Since nobody mentioned GIMP, I tried for myself. There is indeed a suitable palette from the MSX people; I now just need a tool to convert the GIF file on the PC file system to a Dis/Fix 128 file. Do we have such a tool?

(I did not plan to use the import for such a purpose, so this does not work in TIImageTool. But this could be another enhancement for later.)

Just use @F.G. Kaal TIDIR program it converts PC files to DIS/fix128 with no issues, I used it for the sample GIF's I included with my release.

I already got it going with my TIImageTool (disarming the "too many unprintable char" warning).

This seems to work with your GIF program; I could not run it on my hardware Geneve yet (for the above mentioned issues). It took me only minutes to create it with GIMP.

TESTBILD_G

Here is how: Download the 7z file from http://frs.badcoffee.info/files/MSX_Art/MSX_palettes.7z

There are palettes for various programs; I used the MSX2_SCR8.gpl file for GIMP.

In GIMP, go to "Window -> Dockable dialogs -> Palettes". Right-click on the newly opened selection and choose "Import palette". When you now open some image, scale it to 256x192, then go to "Image->Mode", choose indexed, and select the imported palette. Save the result as a GIF file.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Here is how: Download the 7z file from http://frs.badcoffee.info/files/MSX_Art/MSX_palettes.7z

There are palettes for various programs; I used the MSX2_SCR8.gpl file for GIMP.

In GIMP, go to "Window -> Dockable dialogs -> Palettes". Right-click on the newly opened selection and choose "Import palette". When you now open some image, scale it to 256x192, then go to "Image->Mode", choose indexed, and select the imported palette. Save the result as a GIF file.

Interesting, do they have one that works for the 16 color high res mode, 512x424.

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

I started asking the same question.  Thanks for beating me to it :)

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

old_cs1_avatar_msx2.gif.eee853113109341b01ab6ef6354b0d5a.gif