IGNORED

Interesting Super Famicom prototype on Yahoo Japan auctions

Posted (edited)

Came across this auction from various sources: https://www.dexerto.com/tech/rare-snes-prototype-reaches-over-6-4m-in-japanese-auction-2702440/ and here for example: https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024/05/rare-snes-prototype-auction-cancelled-after-passing-the-usd2-million-mark

It seems though that the auction has ended prematurely and in nowhere around the figures that the sites are reporting. I suspect there was a lot of bogus bids and the price skyrocketed. Don't know if it sold for that 1.5M jen (around $9.6k) or not. But the prototype itself seems interesting. 

i-img1200x900-1714903512bjlgpu444122.jpg

i-img1200x900-1714903512h7lgre444122.jpg

There seems to be an expansion port of some kind on the front and a headphone jack + volume control on the side (that would have been cool in the final version). And the controller ports seem to have fewer holes. The seller says it powers on but that's about it as there is no compatibility for regular software or controllers. Although this marketing ad from 1989 suggests there should be controllers lying around somewhere, perhaps:

Super Famicom prototype in 1989 Famitsu magazine

As it is, it's just an expensive paper weight but a cool piece of history nonetheless.

Edit - here's a link to the auction itself for more pictures: https://zenmarket.jp/en/auction.aspx?itemCode=v1135225758

Edited by Wayler
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was watching this.  At one point the bidding reach almost 400,000,000 yen which is about 2 million USD. 

The auction was relisted by this morning at around 11 million yen.  I do know of an interested individual in this but I don't know if he won it. Also, I'm surprised at the actual sold figure of 1.5 million.  Also that the auction ended shortly.  It should have anothfew days on it. 

Here's an image of the true auction (none of that 3rd party site crap) just before it first ended when the bids were going crazy. 

Screenshot_20240508-191954.png

Edited by Yakumo1975
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Yakumo1975 said:

The auction was relisted by this morning at around 11 million yen.

Do you have a link for this? I tried searching the proxy sites but nothing came up. 

3 hours ago, Yakumo1975 said:

Here's an image of the true auction (none of that 3rd party site crap) just before it first ended when the bids were going crazy. 

We actually have to use the third party sites because direct links to Yahoo Japan do not work, due to geo restrictions I think. I guess one could use a VPN but that is why the articles use those third party links. 

Posted (edited)

Sure, here you go.  The auction ended 3 days early at 1.5 million yen.  Today should have been 3 days to go but nope, it's ended. 

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v1135225758

If for some reason the link doesn't work for people not logged in to Yahoo Auctions, here's a photo of the finished price. 

Actually, looking at the auction again it ended with 0 bids!  Looks like the seller pulled the auction. 

Screenshot_20240510-005852.png

Edited by Yakumo1975
  • Thanks 1

Ah, I see. The ID-number is the same as those original links, so it was the same page all along. I just thought relisting would have given it a new number. I never saw it open so it must have come and gone a few times. 

Whatever the case, I hope this ends up in place where it's properly opened up and documented but that is perhaps wishful thinking. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Wayler said:

Ah, I see. The ID-number is the same as those original links, so it was the same page all along. I just thought relisting would have given it a new number. I never saw it open so it must have come and gone a few times. 

Whatever the case, I hope this ends up in place where it's properly opened up and documented but that is perhaps wishful thinking. 

Could be wishful thinking.  The person who was after it most definitely would have shared information with us all but sadly the auction closed before a legit bid could be placed. 

Edited by Yakumo1975

It'd be interesting to see it opened up. I wonder how different the internals are for it not to have any software compatibility, and it would be interesting to see it as a missing link. We know the PPUs support 128k VRAM, for instance, it would be interesting to see if this has it populated.

• Like 1