IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 18 Round  10 - Donkey Kong

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cafeman said:

Is it posted somewhere to watch?

Here it is.. first of all apologies because I had taken the video on my workphone (thinking it had all this space) but failed to realize how absolutely LOCKED DOWN my employer's policies forbids any data transfers. I couldn't email it, I couldn't airdrop it, can't use files, can't use any cloud apps.. actually can't log in with an apple ID at all so no non-approved apps.  Absolutely nothing. And I can't even transfer it to my work network to try and finagle out later (which is also very hard). So I ended up taking using my personal cell to take video of the video running on the work iphone :lol: Horrible.. but, it got the job done.

The video starts at the beginning of level 4 which is where the action begins anyway.

Edited by NE146
  • Thanks 1

LOL. 

actually, you play just like I do so I don’t know why I didn’t beat you. 🙂   On the ramps,  you jumped up for one barrel, and then away from the other close barrel, clearing it, a trick I have not quite mastered.  

Posted (edited)

Lol that was less skill and more pure luck as I panicked :lol:  I could’ve just as easily died there, which with two lives lost on the elevator level would have been game over like so many games before that. 

Regarding score, I try to accumulate by milking both hammers on the ramp stages in levels 1-3.  It gets tedious and it’s easy to lose a life, but if done successfully gives a pretty good score boost by the time you start level 4, where from that point I just try to survive.

Edited by NE146

31 minutes ago, NE146 said:

Regarding score, I try to accumulate by milking both hammers on the ramp stages in levels 1-3.  It gets tedious and it’s easy to lose a life, but if done successfully gives a pretty good score boost by the time you start level 4, where from that point I just try to survive.

that is my exact strategy as well. You get 300 points for every smashed barrel so the hammers are always worth it until you get to about level four where it’s too dangerous to grab the top one. Same goes with grabbing the hammers on the rivet stage. If you can kill six or seven barrels or fireballs, you’ve just greatly improved your score.

I also grab every bonus item in levels one through three except for the cake on the pie factory stage because I usually go to the left. 

• Like 1

Some amazing play this round, and we’ve even been blessed with tips and a video by the new master!

Final standings:

NE146 - 127,700 - RECORD BREAKER  +11 +1

Cafeman - 102,400 - RECORD BREAKER  +10+ 1

RB5200 - 100,900 - RECORD BREAKER  +9 +1

jblenkle - 66,900  +8

Mikey50 - 43,000  +7

UnRedeemed - 12,400 +6

Berzerk is up next.  

• Thanks 1

Agreed.. in my opinion this version of Donkey Kong is a masterpiece and pretty much blows away any port of the time. It's about as close as you can get to the spirit and random difficulty of the arcade game as anyone can expect. I'm pretty sad I never really knew about it back in the day as I only had a 5200 :lol:

BTW something that I found interesting.. I've been playing it on Altirra, using the save state tools to check out how difficult the game gets, and it surprised me that at level 6, they make the platform next to the Right-Side elevator smaller!  You can still make the jump but it's a lot harder.

image.thumb.png.dfd36a2de7b208ffc51fcbcabfe1019f.png  image.thumb.png.093d72cb7acc4d16d5687de3139ed73b.png image.thumb.png.ead42ad9e11ab9c322c2f3d7a00071dd.png

• Like 2