IGNORED

SMS over NES in '86

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

I definitely knew they were two separate, incompatible systems. I was already aware of that from previously having been into games during the Atari 2600, Intellivision, and Colecovision era. To me the differences that I could perceive were mainly in the exclusive games. I was just impressed that both of them looked so similar to arcade games. In particular I remember thinking it was cool that games used the same font for scores and such that was commonly seen in the arcade, whereas for some reason 7800 games used a font more similar to something I'd seen on my brother's Apple IIe.

Ditto!.. born in '69 I was fully into the 2600/5200/Colecovision/Vectrex of course and by the time the new wave of home games started coming out, they all were all in storage under my bed. 😛

I think why I wasn't really knowledgeable about them was I was primarily dealing with jap or bootleg consoles which were what was available in my part of the world. I would just go to a local market for example and just happen to come across a TV playing a game on display.. and there was zero info about any of it, not to mention it was usually in Japanese.  Everything was word of mouth. The time when I fully realized what was going on was seeing that famicom Mario Bros. (not Super) and THAT hit home that this was an exciting evolution.  Re: the 7800, that wasn't exactly sold locally so I never came across one until 1987 when I went to the states for college. Boy did I think it looked pitiful with ancient games like Ms. Pac and Centipede.. but of course now I love it.  :lol: 

Edited by NE146

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Oh come on they were utterly cheap when they really wanted to market the thing against the NES early on.  Black Belt, Wrestling, those ones are internet memes on how you can make something look so much even worse than the meme of NES heights MegaMan1 guy bad, but with terrible minimalist art on a boring screams 80s white tile grid.

It doesn't excuse them, but regarding these two games, they couldn't use the original art since they were licensed games in Japan, and I guess they just didn't want to pay for a real artist to do a new cover.

Also, I was told the white tile grid was supposed to look like a school notebook to make it less "gamey" for parents.

Edited by roots.genoa

On 5/22/2024 at 3:11 PM, Razzie.P said:

We were into the Genesis era before I got a chance to own and really put some time in SMS games.  What's impressive to me is how, even though I should have been spoiled by all those "next gen wow!" games, games like Rastan and Miracle Warriors held their own rather nicely.  I never felt like I was playing "old, outdated" stuff at all.

I had Miracle Warriors back in the day, I wanted Rastan but never got it until I started collecting video games in the mid-late 90's.

Funny thing, I got the sports pad BITD but never got a game that it was actually designed for. 🙄

Between 1986-1989 these were the games I ended up with:

- Alex Kidd in Miracle World

- California Games

- Choplifter

- Ghost House

- Hang On /Safari Hunt

- Maze Hunter 3-D

- Miracle Warriors

- Parlour Games

- Phantasy Star

- Rambo FB PII

- Rambo III

- Rocky

- Shinobi

- Space Harrier

- Spy Vs. Spy

- Thunder Blade

- Zaxxon 3-D

Sega Scope 3-D that was so neat at the time. I really thought gaming was going be this all the time in the future. Boy was I wrong. My friends and I played a lot of the only two titles I ever had for it back then. I still contend to this day that Zaxxon 3-D is better than the actual Zaxxon arcade game. I still get a blast playing it today. And yes I do still play my old game systems on a CRT TV (32" RCA floor model). 😎

Phantasy Star, what a great game! That was the most I ever spent on one game. I what to say it was about $84.00 with tax! (that's in 1988 money). I remember getting home from school and my mom taking me up to Children's Palace to get it on the day it came out (at least at Children's Palace). That is the only game I remember getting on the actual day it was available in my area. That was also the first time I stayed up almost all night just to play a video game. Took a long time for me to finish that game, but after I finished Phantasy Star I wanted more like that. That's how I ended up purchasing Miracle Warriors. But I didn't purchase that one until sometime in mid '89.

The very last three games I got for my Master System were Miracle Warriors, Rambo III and Thunder Blade. Rambo III is a Light Phaser game (for those that don't know) and I remember playing a lot of Operation Wolf down at the arcade. When I saw some screen shots of Rambo III in one of my newsletters I thought it look just like Operation Wolf. I have to say it was not a disappointment when I got the game. That was the most I think I've ever used a Light Phaser/gun for a game.  If I remember correctly Thunder Blade was the very last game that I ever got for the Master System back then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pboland said:

I had Miracle Warriors back in the day, I wanted Rastan but never got it until I started collecting video games in the mid-late 90's.

Funny thing, I got the sports pad BITD but never got a game that it was actually designed for. 🙄

I have a soft spot for Miracle Warriors, as it was my first RPG. I loved the big fold out map. Last year I finally got the original Japanese Mark III version of the game (thanks to a seller here on Atari Age, Black Tiger) and it's got a fantastic cloth version of the map as well as a small metal figurine to mark your position on the map. Not to mention the eye-popping cover art. Now that would have made a very different impression on the reputation of Master System cover art if they had somehow brought that out over here!

I finally got a Sports Pad a few years ago, after hearing it maligned for years on the internet. Although the sports games that were designed for use with it in its analog mode are rather poor, using it in digital mode with various other games is brilliant. You can have pixel-perfect control in shooters like Fantasy Zone and Power Strike, and essentially be able to move in diagonals and curves that wouldn't normally be possible with a control pad or joystick.

681px-MiracleWarriors_JP_cover.jpg

• Like 2

I thought it might be fun to look at the 1988 NES vs SMS releases. Just looking at the hit games for the NES, Karnov, Contra, RC Pro-Am, Ice Hockey, Double Dragon, Metal Gear, RBI Baseball, Iron Tank, Legendary Wings, Life Force, Adventure Island, Jackal, 1943, Spy vs Spy, SMB2, Blaster Master, Bubble Bobble, Bionic Commando, Blades of Steel, Castlevania II, Rampage, Skate or Die, Zelda II

The SMS’s 1988 releases did have a higher hit ratio, but they probably had fewer hits overall (15 SMS vs 23 NES, give or take +/- 3). Sega released some great shooters (After Burner, Zaxxon 3D, Space Harrier 3D, R-Type), the best RPGs (Phantasy Star, Miracle Warriors), and other arcade ports (Alien Syndrome, Shinobi, Double Dragon)

Penguin Land

January 1988

After Burner

March 1988

Alien Syndrome

March 1988

Aztec Adventure

March 1988

Global Defense

March 1988

Zaxxon 3D

March 1988

Rescue Mission

April 1988

Maze Hunter 3D

May 1988

Parlour Games

May 1988

Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars

July 1988

Fantasy Zone: The Maze

July 1988

Space Harrier 3-D

July 1988

Zillion II: The Tri Formation

July 1988

Wonder Boy in Monster Land

August 1988

Blade Eagle 3-D

September 1988

Monopoly

September 1988

Shinobi

September 1988

Kenseiden

October 1988

Miracle Warriors: Seal of the Dark Lord

October 1988

Shanghai

October 1988

Spy vs. Spy

October 1988[d]

Thunder Blade

October 1988

Double Dragon

November 1988

Phantasy Star

November 1988

Golvellius: Valley of Doom

December 1988

Power Strike

December 1988

R-Type

December 1988

Rambo III

December 1988

Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?

December 1988

Nintendo would only have a couple of years of dominance before the Genesis got released in NA (Oct 1989). That would require Nintendo to come up with their own 16-bit system to compete.

• Like 2

Lots of classics that year for sure. Of those, I had After Burner, Aztec Adventure, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Shinobi, Kenseiden, Miracle Warriors, and Double Dragon. My friends got Alien Syndrome, Maze Hunter 3D, Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars, Thunder Blade, Phantasy Star, Power Strike, and R-Type, so I got to borrow those as well.

5 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

Nintendo would only have a couple of years of dominance before the Genesis got released in NA (Oct 1989). That would require Nintendo to come up with their own 16-bit system to compete.

I think realistically they were feeling more pressure from the success of the PC Engine than they were from Sega consoles in Japan.

That fourth quarter of '88 list Captain provided is stacked.

I believe I acquired my SMS in the Christmas of '87. I had a NES system from a year earlier. Never caught up on the "this system vs. this system" trope. It was all about the software for me, and at that time... I was big into the Sega arcade library.

My Montgomery Ward store had a SMS counter kiosk. The one I always loved was Space Harrier. (Didn't come across the arcade version till later.) Now,  the one arcade game from Sega that I was chomping at the bit for a home release was Shinobi - was completely hooked on that game. That same Wards store is where I eventually picked up Shinobi; I also purchased my last SMS *newly released* arcade port of R-Type - I want to say was near the $60 mark.

I did picked up some used games later that summer: Rocky and Black Belt come to mind. I checked out on the SMS scene when I got my Genesis system. Captain has it at Oct. '89, I got mine in Sept. of '89 -  don't know if that was a regional release thing as well.

Couple things for me about the SMS itself:

Don't know if I'm alone on a island on this one BUT I hated that Dpad on the oem controllers. Way too reminiscent of the Inty pads too me - just not a fan. And the optional joystick controller Sega produced? Ergonomically, a mess!

I didn't realise how many of these early releases were port of arcade games. Ghost House - Monster Bash, Teddy Boy Blues, My Hero, Global Defense - quasi SDI and Fantasy Zone - I know there is some debate on the last one if it was released first on console than arcade.

15 hours ago, Zoyous said:

Lots of classics that year for sure...

I think realistically they were feeling more pressure from the success of the PC Engine than they were from Sega consoles in Japan.

Yeah and a few of those lovlies made it out on the Game Gear, and in some form the Genesis too... I've had a SMS twice, friend before that point so I'm familiar while never an owner until the late 90s the first go around.  If you capture this year yeah it's a hard argument who 'won' it on titles, but by quality volume if you throw in the previous year not mentioned now in here ...87... that would make the SMS great for owners, but not one to jump on either unless they were loaded and had both systems or just from friends really dug the titles.

Yet in the end, yeah Sega was a perpetual fart in the wind to Nintendo on domestic level, and an annoyance at times in the US at most.  Where Sega was any real deal was south america and many parts of europe where Nintendo bungled stuff (europe) or due to shitty anti-consumer/import laws down south made Sega more attractive.  It was 100% NEC that was what pissed off and motivated Nintendo.  Hudson was one of their very earliest trusted developers, and they took what they knew, designed basically their idea of a more colorful and modern(arcade like) sounding FAMICOM, basically their Super Famicom before there was a Super Famicom by their own admission as much and beat them over the head with it.  The SG1000 to 3000 and Mega Drive didn't move shit in Japan against Nintendo, but the PCE it beat the crap out of the FC for a few years knocking Nintendo into 2nd place.  Had they not worked their hardest to find a pack of dumber assholes than Sega did with Tonka with the SMS to sell/market/push to retailers the TG16 in the states, history would have been really different.  NEC seemed to actively want to fail how idiotic they acted outside of Japan when they had the keys to the castle to really shake it up with the proof in the home market.

Posted (edited)

We added an SMS to our Nintendo house in '89 or maybe early '90 when they were selling for $50 a Besr Buy with Hang On/Safari Hunt built-in.

We always kept Sega stuff around after that point, but the arcade style of most of the games didn't suit the style of my brothers and I at that time. The NES was satisfying us with longer, deeper experiences. It wasn't until we borrowed Wonder Boy 3 from a neighbor thar we found something that really clicked.

Edited by DJ Clae
  • Like 2

Despite being a SEGA family as a kid (we got the Genesis before the Super Nintendo, the Game Gear before the Game Boy, and the Saturn before the PS1 or N64) I didn't get or even see a Master System until around 2006. Never met any other kids who had one, never saw any SMS stuff in the used games shops.

On 5/21/2024 at 10:41 PM, pboland said:

I decide to try this Sega Master System thing. WOW! The colors on the screen looked so much better than the NES. The first game I tried was Alex Kidd in Miracle World. My first thought was, this is like SMB, but better because you punch your enemies (not jump on them). This was a gaming mechanic that I instinctively knew. I then tried Choplifter, and that felt like I was playing a real arcade game.

Did you know that alex kidd in miracle world was Alex Kidd in Miracle World originally began development in 1984 as a licensed tie-in game based on the dragon ball manga series. However, during development, the Dragon Ball license expired and Sega CEO Hayao Nakayama ordered the developers to start the game over from scratch. Am surprised once i readed that on wikipedia since i trought that game was clearly inspired from supermariobros (well it might be the case but i have nowhere readed that alex kidd was in development in response to the supermario craze,

well i remember when i played alex kidd in miracle world on the mastersystem ll in 1993 by my cousins, i found it an interesting game as an alternative for supermariobros but i just didn’t like that those buttons for jump & kick were in reverse and i also didn’t like those janken fights with it’s SEEMINGLY random rock pepper scissors part, but in reality you have to remember those rock pepper scissors parts per fight but good luck remembering them at all,phew🤣

now i do have a sega mark lll with convertor adaptor to play sms games on it and i found that design look waaay more cooler and more friendly that those black mastersystem models,

Stoll trough i found it interesting how sega desperately tried hard to compeat against nintendo and sega eventually did knew that they had to develop a character being unique as opposed to mario, it needed something wich mario didn’t had and speed was thing the thing it needed

sonic was thin, young,fast and wild with a charismatic character unlike mario,

so eventrough i did got my nes from my parents back in 1991 and i always liked nintendo for what they were but nowadays i start to get more respect to sega for what they did in the past.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1