IGNORED

Info and specs for the ICS 32K (after-market) Memory Expansion Card for the Texas Instruments PHP-1200

Posted (edited)

I just recently purchased a PHP-1200 Expansion system for my TI-99 4/A and it came with one of these after-market 32K memory add-on cards. It is an earlier version because it has the push button switch. I believe these are pretty rare. I have been looking for some specs on this card and can't find anything. I can't even find anything on ICS. If anyone has any info on this card I would appreciate the heads up. Thanks.

20240526_123345[1].jpg

Edited by WCLegere
added photo
  • Like 2

One note, the layout on the later Multicom variant was redone, so traces will look slightly different between the two, even though all endpoints appear to be the same. The other note when trying to hunt down data on ICS is the full name of the company: Intellitec Computer Systems, 1709 E. Sitzmark Dr., Sandy, UT 84092  (801-572-6272). There is not much else on them out there, other than that they were bought out by Multicom. The address is a single family house, like a lot of TI third-party vendors BITD. It looks like the house has changed hands at least once since it housed Intellitec.

The 32K PEB card was not Intellitec's only product. They also made a sidecar peripheral that combined 32K and RS-232 functonality. I haven't seen this latter device under their label, but I strongly suspect that the later Multicom Combo II box with the same functionality is just this box, rebadged (like the PEB card). 

I'm not sure if the Multcom RS-232 and 32K standalone sidecars also originated with Intellitec. It really depends on when they hit the market, as it looks like Multicom bought them out (or just changed the name) sometime in 1984.

Actually, all of the various pictures I have from these has given me a new data point. The stickers on the front of each card have the name of the person who did the final checkout of the card on them--and every single card I've seen, ICS or Multicom, was signed by Ben (although the one on Mainbyte has a second signature in addition to Ben's). . .this leads me to think that it might just have been a company name change as opposed to a buyout.

One last item on the provenance of the card you got in that mystery PEB: Yours looks to be SN 08143. At some point in the distant past, Ron Reuter (Mainbyte) took a picture of another ICS 32K card and put it up on his site (SN08113). He may have owned it at the time, or he may have known the owner, but this specific card variety has been known to the community for a long time without a lot of data showing up about it. :) I also have one of these cards (the ICS variant), so I'll need to pull it out and check to see if it also conforms to the patterns here.

ICS Former Location.png

• Like 4

Thank you for the info! That was very educational! I've been testing the system and the ICS module works fine! It lists the extended memory via the "SIZE" command in extended BASIC. I'm kind of a "noob" to the TI-99 4/A. Now if I can figure out why the cassette storage keeps throwing an I/O error 66 code when checking a saved program and why I have no sound using the original RF modulator connected to my TV.  

23 minutes ago, WCLegere said:

Thank you for the info! That was very educational! I've been testing the system and the ICS module works fine! It lists the extended memory via the "SIZE" command in extended BASIC. I'm kind of a "noob" to the TI-99 4/A. Now if I can figure out why the cassette storage keeps throwing an I/O error 66 code when checking a saved program and why I have no sound using the original RF modulator connected to my TV.  

If your TV has RCA inputs, there are cables to directly connect between the TI and your TV. Sound is mono, so you only need to connect two jacks (one for sound and one for video). They show up on eBay all the time or you can go to IEC, a company that has been supporting our community with parts support for about 40 years now.

On the cassette issue, there are several possibilities: not enough volume, too much (or too little) on the tone knob, dirty heads, or the spring in the cassette holding the felt against the tape is weak/broken. Note these are in decreasing order of likelihood.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info Ksarul! I really appreciate it! I've done some research on the tape playback issues and from what I've found it's exactly as you suggested. One the sound issue, the only TV that has RCA jacks are not the typical "red, white, yellow and black" connections. They are red, white, red, blue and green. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2024 at 12:07 AM, WCLegere said:

Thanks for the info Ksarul! I really appreciate it! I've done some research on the tape playback issues and from what I've found it's exactly as you suggested. One the sound issue, the only TV that has RCA jacks are not the typical "red, white, yellow and black" connections. They are red, white, red, blue and green. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. 

green is yellow usually it has a picture next to it saying composite in with a yellow indicator..

Shared Composite/Component Video Input Connections

• Like 1