IGNORED

Wii Unlock DVD Function

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, walter_J64bit said:

Unlocking the DVD player on the Wii by soft mode that way you can use the Wii as DVD player.

Didn’t know it was even a thing, meaning the physical reader is about the same but Nintendo didn’t want to pay any license to the dvd forum for any kind of media playback (rightfully so imho, we all had dvd players in the house) … so I thought the OS has no support whatsoever.

Am I right that it’s all homebrew, I mean codec, player etc… or is there actual Nintendo sw in the playback chain?

Edited by phoenixdownita

For what i do know is that nintendo first did had the idea of a builtin dvd player functionality inside the wii sothat in case children are no longer playing on the wii at evening, that parents then could use the wii for watching dvd videos on it,

but nintendo probably scrapped that idea for licensing costs and the fact that most consumers did already had a dvd player once the plice of it were dropped significantly, so they saw no longer any reason to implement dvd playback support in it🙁

becides i don’t know if dvd video could be played trough a firmware update anyway because does it support the right laser for it and does it also not check whether it’s a nintendo disc or not?

maybe if we could create hacked dvd’s with the nintendo encryption code stamped into it to trigger the wii in order to allow it play dvd videos that way?, mmm.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, johannesmutlu said:

For what i do know is that nintendo first did had the idea of a builtin dvd player functionality inside the wii sothat in case children are no longer playing on the wii at evening, that parents then could use the wii for watching dvd videos on it,

but nintendo probably scrapped that idea for licensing costs and the fact that most consumers did already had a dvd player once the plice of it were dropped significantly, so they saw no longer any reason to implement dvd playback support in it🙁

becides i don’t know if dvd video could be played trough a firmware update anyway because does it support the right laser for it and does it also not check whether it’s a nintendo disc or not?

maybe if we could create hacked dvd’s with the nintendo encryption code stamped into it to trigger the wii in order to allow it play dvd videos that way?, mmm.

If acts like a region free DVD player that would save me the trouble of looking for one.

Edited by walter_J64bit