IGNORED

Segment registers in gcc for 32-bit memory

10 hours ago, khanivore said:

The Linux default is like 10MB per thread !

Most of the time, shouldn't be actual committed memory.  With 47 bits of address, you can space things out.  Probably the real memory is 4 to 8K. I'm thinking of  monster application frameworks that go 33 levels deep.  But you could reserve a local array of one million floats with 10 mb to play with. I wouldn't. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tursi said:

My C projects generally need 200-300 bytes of stack by the time all is said and done. Depends entirely on how much you nest your function calls and how much you use local variables.

Coming from Java, I forgot that C is allocating local objects on the stack. Still, 8K of stack would probably be enough for most programs written for the TI, avoiding the overhead of a sliding stack window.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Asmusr said:

Coming from Java, I forgot that C is allocating local objects on the stack. Still, 8K of stack would probably be enough for most programs written for the TI, avoiding the overhead of a sliding stack window.

Oh yeah, short of modern programs that assume a minimum 1MB stack. ;) The venerable c99 just used the lower 8k block as stack.

• Like 1

Examining different stages of life in ForceCommand...

At the command prompt, I've used 384 bytes on the stack - the bulk of that is probably the edit buffer for the input line.

after running FCMENU within, when clicking on a menu item with the mouse, at that point I've used 1534 bytes on the stack. 

If the thing I click on is my Gemini browser, at the point I've clicked on a link in Virgil, I am now at 1890 bytes on the stack. 

That is 3 programs nested - Executable code and heap paged out through SAMS, but the stack is shared. So while those numbers are atypically large on the 4A, I still have around 3K of stack available ( I have other stuff at the bottom of LOWEXP ), so yep, paging that is probably not the highest priority.

• Like 5