IGNORED

AtariVox Still being manufactured ?

Taslim

Is the AtariVox Speech Module still being manufactured ? On the AtariAge Store Webpage it lists it but you can't do a add to cart and all you can do is the add to wish list option. Nothing is said about it being discontinued or the fact that more units are being manufactured or have plans to start manufacturing more devices soon.

Someone had sold a few on E-Bay surprisingly for only $55 and not some outrageous price like $500 or $1000 but they were all sold out.

COOL

Just Ordered one and got Email Conformation from AtariAges and Paypal. Reasonable Shipping charge, only 6 bucks. I hope it comes quicker than my Harmony and Ultimate SD Flash Cart for Coleco Vision took to arrive. Can't wait to try it with Champ Games GORF Arcade and Wizard of Wor Arcade and whatever other games support it.

• 2 weeks later...

This thing is Pretty Awesome, it makes Wizard of Wor Arcade even more awesome and nearly Spot On Arcade Quality even if it's still only single colors for the enemies, the quick responsive controls make up for it and after all it is on the Atari VCS, so it's amazing that Champ Games Manged to push beyond the limits of the system and do something nobody back in the 80's  would ever thing the VCS was able to do. GORF Arcade is Awesome, even better in some ways than the Coleco Vision version since it has the correct Blue Back Ground for the first mission and has Galaxians and the graphics look basically just like the Arcade version plus the High Score save feature and even the Story Line of you mission plus they added some extra features with the Challenge Mode, but one thing they left out was the ability to have 7 guys like in the Arcade if you insert 2 coins. You can even turn off the feature where if you hit fire a second time it cancels your first shot plus a pause feature that is in all Champ Games titles.

Also in Wizard of Wor I think they added some extra taunting phrases because when I lost all my guys and got a game over the Wizard said "How About a Nice Game Of Chess" from War Games that came out after the Arcade Wizard of Wor.

Juno First is a pretty cool game, it's kind of like Beamrider without the restrictions to being on rails, it's cool that it announces each new level and the insults from the alien when you loose a game are pretty funny. I wish more good games supported the Voice Feature and save feature.

There is one other game that is kind of an adventure game but its' kind of lame and confusing and the voice is hard to understand.

It would be cool to add Coleco Vision support.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bomberman94 said:

Are there plans to make them with built-in speakers? THAT would be great!

Would require external power or a battery, you can't draw that much current from the joystick port(s).

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Bomberman94 said:

They would be too tiny and not very loud and lack any BASS or it would have to have a cord on it attached to a large box with the speakers in it and would need an external poer source or have a built  in rechargeable battery

Edited by Taslim

10 hours ago, Bomberman94 said:

While still not totally embedded, it is why I started to offer an Audio input jack on the 7800 installs specifically for the AVox adapters. Still have to plug a cable off the AVox, but then you plug that back into the console to have it mixed properly with the rest of the audio and come out from the console completely at that point.

2600 is possible for this as well, but requires a bit more tweaking with what value to use on the resistor from model to model whereas on the 7800 I can just use a static value resistor on all of them and it works properly.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

While still not totally embedded, it is why I started to offer an Audio input jack on the 7800 installs specifically for the AVox adapters. Still have to plug a cable off the AVox, but then you plug that back into the console to have it mixed properly with the rest of the audio and come out from the console completely at that point.

2600 is possible for this as well, but requires a bit more tweaking with what value to use on the resistor from model to model whereas on the 7800 I can just use a static value resistor on all of them and it works properly.

You could use a Trimmer for the 2600, users can adjust it with their ears.

16 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

You could use a Trimmer for the 2600, users can adjust it with their ears.

Well what I usually do is try and use a resistor so that the volume trimmer on the Avox is roughly in the center and in balance with the other audio from the console. So adjustments can still be done from the Avox directly if a 'close enough' value were used.

• Like 1