IGNORED

Splatform 2600 (just another new homebrew minigame)

Thomas Jentzsch

• 1 month later...

Looks great.

By the way Thomas, I had a chance to play this on system at PC5 and its more fun than I could EVER imagine. I can't wait to get this along with Cave and whatever other cool thing you cook up! Exceptional work.

Funny how a 1K game can be MORE addictive than most of the other stuff I own! :)

:spidey:

been playing all night (for some reason I never looked at this thread before, thinking it was a technical thread that would go over my head)

For some reason, Stella (linux) likes to cut the top off of my score, but hell its the only emulator we have!

My best (albeit fucked up by stella.sdl)

post-181-1080726080_thumb.png

I like the animation, but could you ever get anything like evil otto in Berzerk on the 8 bit computers? I think that makes the circle squish down a little bit when it bounces.

Well, the collision between platform and the ball are done by using the hardware detection (saves a lot of space). Therefore I know about the collision after that frame has been drawn. And in the next frame, the ball is already a few pixels above the platform again.

The best I could do, is to give all platforms priority over the ball which would automatically cut the lower part of the ball. But IMO that looks odd when the ball moves up (still behind the platforms).

@Thomas- It was only a suggestion, and I like the way the animation it now.

I downloaded the source for this and cave 1k a while back and seen how you have things setup with a todo list and everything. I still don't understand most of it, but I can follow along a little bit. I changed a few things and assembled it playing around with it a little bit. I don't think I will ever get the programming thing down.

@Thomas- It was only a suggestion, and I like the way the animation it now.

You are not the only one suggesting this and I also would like to find a simple solution for this, but I doubt I will.

I downloaded the source for this and cave 1k a while back and seen how you have things setup with a todo list and everything. I still don't  understand most of it, but I can follow along a little bit.

Probably not the best examples. Lots of dirty coding to squeeze the games into 1K. I would suggest to have a look at simplier, fully commented source files (e.g. Combat).

. I don't think I will ever get the programming thing down.

Don't give up.

I'v been at it (on and off) for a year now and haven't really finished anything.

I'll be entering this years minigame comp, and it will probably take me every last second from now

until it starts to get a game ready ;) Keep and eye on stella for my proof of concept sometime soon ...... I hope.

Holy shit. I almost like totally forgot about this game.

The new version kicks ass! I'm so amazed that all this stuff can be fit into only 1K worth of data. I should pop this in my Supercharger or something tomorrow, and see if I can beat my old high score.

EDIT: Correction, beat bjk's old score.

And now, on account of the fact that it's 2:15 AM in the morning and I'm bored, have some crappy artwork inspired by Splatform. Click that image for a much larger one.

That would be cool to have a 3D splatform minigame on the gamecube or playstation or something. Being able to jump in all directions would kick ass

• 4 weeks later...

Man this game is great !!!!

i can not get too far but it is fun to try and cave 1k also is another one i have tried both are worthy of cart format ! man too bad you did not work for some game companies back in the day, with talent like this you and others from this board would have made a lot people happy !

great work :) i really enjoyed those games alot very cool ! 8)

both are worthy of cart format !

From what I have heard there is supposed to a 3rd mini-game to complete the 3 game multi-cart for these. I am not sure if this is true or not, but if it is, I can't wait to see what the 3rd game is going to be. 8)

Thomas, I noticed the first level has a pattern of jumps (the pattern is 8 then 14 jumps of pushing the joystick foward except between the transition between the 8 and 14th jumps.) you can make to get to the end in 15 seconds or less. I have a video of me achieveing this. I don't know about level two. :D

both are worthy of cart format !

From what I have heard there is supposed to a 3rd mini-game to complete the 3 game multi-cart for these. I am not sure if this is true or not' date=' but if it is, I can't wait to see what the 3rd game is going to be. 8)[/quote']

This is true. :)

..Al

Thomas' date=' I noticed the first level has a pattern of jumps (the pattern is 8 then 14 jumps of pushing the joystick foward except between the transition between the 8 and 14th jumps.) you can make to get to the end in 15 seconds or less. I have a video of me achieveing this. I don't know about level two. :D[/quote']

Yes, there are a lot of platforms in the first level, so it was very likey someone would find a pattern when playing the non-randomized variation. This won't work on the higher levels or when playing the random version (left difficulty).

BTW: How is the setting of your right difficutly switch?