Jump to content
IGNORED

“Some” internet analytics on AA, much younger than expected


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

https://www.similarweb.com/website/atariage.com/#demographics
 

about 55% visitors have less than 34y ?

 

Not convinced but pleasantly surprised if that’s the case.

 

Here’s mobygames for comparison:

 

https://www.similarweb.com/website/mobygames.com/#demographics
 

at 70% less than 34y makes sense there due to covering all games modern ones included. At least I think, maybe that’s messed up too!

 

 

 

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

 

Yes, you are old.

So is that young of an audience?

 

The last Atari console was the Jag and that alone is 30y old, I can’t see the appeal for a 55% of the audience … but glad if these old clunkers do have a much younger audience.

Edited by phoenixdownita
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Well I don’t know how much to trust the data, you guys (mod team) surely have more insight.

 

If indeed more than half the visitors are < 34y I should definitely clean my old fart act 😁

 

The same stats says 25% are < 24y … I should start using the word “rad” more … is that still a thing?

 

My kid which is still in elementary school uses a lot of “bruh”/“brah” kinda grunts … dafuq is that?

 

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Bakasama said:

Sometimes you can tell the age on how they type but kind of person just says out loud on how old they are? Not many

We old farts don’t really shy away from admitting we are old though.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

We old farts don’t really shy away from admitting we are old though.

 

There are users here that are 70+, so don't feel too bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

 

There are users here that are 70+, so don't feel too bad.

Yeah I noticed one poster clearly stated he was 71 … I really hope I can keep enough sanity and that I stay healthy enough to still be enjoying this stuff in my 70s.

 

I assume twitchy arcade style games (bread and butter way back then) may pose a challenge but we shall see. Gotta keep arthritis under control.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, phoenixdownita said:

Yeah I noticed one poster clearly stated he was 71 … I really hope I can keep enough sanity and that I stay healthy enough to still be enjoying these stuff in my 70s.

 

 I assume twitchy arcade games (bread and butter way back then) may pose a challenge but we shall see. Gotta keep arthritis under control.

 

I saw Elon's first Neurolink subject play a game on TV, while giving an interview. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

…this is way off topic, but I guess I’d put my money on cell-to-stemcell-to-new-cell type research (it probably have a technical word) to get better results in the future… 

If any cell can me made into any other type of cell, and made to perform re-growth in a way that would be highly analogous to normal/natural growth, I believe all the integration problems would lessen - and it could used on so many organic areas… 

 

Edited by Giles N
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Wow, what brought you here at 24(?) and kept you coming for more?

I started collecting games in 2011 and just haven’t stopped. Im working on my 5200 collection currently. I always came here for pre-NES info and Nintendoage (when it was still around) for NES and newer. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Leatherrebel5150 said:

I started collecting games in 2011 and just haven’t stopped. Im working on my 5200 collection currently. I always came here for pre-NES info and Nintendoage (when it was still around) for NES and newer. 

Where did you start collecting (console generation, or just which console)?


I’m a decade older than you (46), - still a bit immature at times (a-hem), but only been here (AA with profile and engaging with the community) since 2019.

 

Back in 2017 or ‘18, I found out I wanted to discover more about the roots of video-gaming, but still it had to feed into personal nostalgia.

 

I looked at several YouTube videos of early systems which could have home-versions of some the earliest Arcade-experiences I had which: Star Wars, Pengo, Robotron, Pole Position.

 

I looked at the 2600 and videos of it’s games, but they seemed too early for me as to make me emotionally attatched, so I actually began my Atari-everything, Atari console and game collecting, staring with the 5200.

 

Now, it was a tiny nightmare to get it imported and set up properly, - so meanwhile - I also got a PAL 7800, and some of it’s better games, which easy to hook up to a moderately modern flatscreen with many inputs.

 

Later I got the 5200-set up running, and have gotten quite an extensive library.

Some of the stuff I used most money on, of important accessories, were quality 3rd party or home-modded controllers which made the gaming experience increase with - well, independent of game -  something between 50% all the way up to 200% (much more than double the fun or feel of quality gameplay).

 

I also got the AtariMax Ultimate to play advanced homebrews (for example AtariBlast) and have my collection on one cart.


Then, I discovered the rich world of 7800 homebrews.

 

I feel that AtariAge is it’s own ‘chapter’ in Atari gaming history, as nothing much of interest happened from Atari official, between 2010 and up ‘til very recently.

 

In this period all Atari official ever did (or seemed to be doing) was reshuffle the cards they already had on hand, losing most of them, while the AtariAgers were actively producing growth and expanding the Atari-gaming total experience (homebrew games, new better controllers, hardware accessories, information, game-hacks, and fan-everything).

 

- - -

 

Where did you start collecting anything Atari or pre-NES?

 

Have you gotten any favourite system or games from either that era or among the Atari consoles (or conputers for that matter)?

 

What have been your experience of thid site: AtariAge - even you’ve only been mostly ‘lurking?’ 
 

Has it been a good place to lurk around?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2024 at 12:16 PM, Bakasama said:

Sometimes you can tell the age on how they type but kind of person just says out loud on how old they are? Not many

Those people are all in YouTube and social media comment sections. 😛

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd say "no way" but it seems a lot of old farts probably don't really do internet in general, so while I'd assume more older crowd are into Atari, I could see more younger people being on something like AA.

 

I'm the "sentimental" type that grew up on atari. Nintendo released in the states when I was 9 so Atari was pretty well established for me. I was aware of a few people with odyssey2, intellivision, or coleco, and a few pong consoles, but mostly it was 2600 everywhere.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Giles N said:

Where did you start collecting (console generation, or just which console)?


I’m a decade older than you (46), - still a bit immature at times (a-hem), but only been here (AA with profile and engaging with the community) since 2019.

 

Back in 2017 or ‘18, I found out I wanted to discover more about the roots of video-gaming, but still it had to feed into personal nostalgia.

 

I looked at several YouTube videos of early systems which could have home-versions of some the earliest Arcade-experiences I had which: Star Wars, Pengo, Robotron, Pole Position.

 

I looked at the 2600 and videos of it’s games, but they seemed too early for me as to make me emotionally attatched, so I actually began my Atari-everything, Atari console and game collecting, staring with the 5200.

 

Now, it was a tiny nightmare to get it imported and set up properly, - so meanwhile - I also got a PAL 7800, and some of it’s better games, which easy to hook up to a moderately modern flatscreen with many inputs.

 

Later I got the 5200-set up running, and have gotten quite an extensive library.

Some of the stuff I used most money on, of important accessories, were quality 3rd party or home-modded controllers which made the gaming experience increase with - well, independent of game -  something between 50% all the way up to 200% (much more than double the fun or feel of quality gameplay).

 

I also got the AtariMax Ultimate to play advanced homebrews (for example AtariBlast) and have my collection on one cart.


Then, I discovered the rich world of 7800 homebrews.

 

I feel that AtariAge is it’s own ‘chapter’ in Atari gaming history, as nothing much of interest happened from Atari official, between 2010 and up ‘til very recently.

 

In this period all Atari official ever did (or seemed to be doing) was reshuffle the cards they already had on hand, losing most of them, while the AtariAgers were actively producing growth and expanding the Atari-gaming total experience (homebrew games, new better controllers, hardware accessories, information, game-hacks, and fan-everything).

 

- - -

 

Where did you start collecting anything Atari or pre-NES?

 

Have you gotten any favourite system or games from either that era or among the Atari consoles (or conputers for that matter)?

 

What have been your experience of thid site: AtariAge - even you’ve only been mostly ‘lurking?’ 
 

Has it been a good place to lurk around?

I got started at the tail end of 2010 when I was bored one day and decided to look up if any games were ever made for some of my favorite movie series. Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th. That landed me on the AVGN videos about them. 

 

Ive always preferred things “before my time,” music, tv shows, cars. I had just never made that leap to games until those videos. So I picked up a bunch of stuff in the beginning of 2011. NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, 2600. 

 

After a year of just acquiring whatever I came across I got really into the reproductions for NES, hacks Nd translations specifically. I learned how to make them and sold them online and to a local store. Eventually my interest in that led to my career as a PCB designer but that’s a separate story.

 

I often have “focuses” in my collection that I work on and when I fatigued with a console I’ll focus on another. So my main focus at the time was NES and some SNES. then I got sidetracked with the N64 and acquired that complete set. The prices of NES games had been on a pretty steep rise so after the N64 I kept picking up NES games but at a slower pace and put more of my focus on the “lesser” consoles.

 

Which resulted in complete collections for the Master System, and 32x, and Jaguar. With others thrown in but not completed like the Intellivision and 2600. 

 

By 2015 I had the set for NES except for Stadium events and probably half of the SNES library. Went back to college in 2017 and sold about 50-75 of the most expensive S/NES games to help with that. Still regret it.

 

The Colecovision and 7800 were picked up sometime before covid. I had to specifically seek them out since I never just ran across them like moat of the rest of my stuff. Then I finally got a nice clean 5200 at last year’s TooManyGames con.  It was the last console I was interested in that I didn’t have yet. 

 

I don’t have any interest of the computers of that era, or computers of any era, and I don’t collect games on discs or handhelds. Only carts.

 

My favorite pre-NES is the Colecovision. Specifically for the game Pepper II. I get addicted to that game.

 

This site has been great to lurk in all these years. Ive occasionally popped in to say something. But I don’t know, never felt as compelled to post as much on here as I did on Nintendoage or now Videogamesage. Ive got no real reason for it, I just don’t.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2024 at 2:30 AM, Leatherrebel5150 said:

Which resulted in complete collections for the Master System, and 32x, and Jaguar. With others thrown in but not completed like the Intellivision and 2600. 

With complete sets, you could - if it’s or can be your ‘thing’ -, go YouTube and review everything systematically. Some enjoy indepth reviews of every title, others like someone to make a video which ‘reviews every game on a system’.

 

Sure, some would say it’s quite alot of review stuff out there, but I’m not so sure about ‘complete line-ups’.

 

However if being in front of a camera, or voice-reviewing while showing the stuff - carts, consoles, games, etc - isn’t your thing sure.

 

If you got some attention or following, and/or some Patreon-sponsors, you could get some extra bucks now and again.

 

Of course, you’d need to get self-conscious about your own preferences and also try to find a few ‘more objective criteria’ to measure by, for each systems capabilities and possibilities.
 

- - -

 

Btw: how far have you come with collecting for the 5200? What about the 7800: what do think about it, and how complete is your collection? Are you into homebrews or only ‘original/historical’ stuff, released or made back in the days…?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 Now, my story begins in 20-dickety-teen. We had to say "dickety" cause that Kaiser had stolen our word "Seven".

 

lol- older than thirty-four, been hanging around AA for seven years.  average as they come. :)

Edited by digdugnate
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2024 at 11:40 AM, CPUWIZ said:

 

Yes, you are old.

Dude, i was introduced to Atari by My dad back when i was just entering high school, with the 2600 and the Jaguar being my first two Atari consoles and i currently have 28. What are you taking about XD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm 26, extremely new here (joined the forum less than a week ago).

Honestly I'm just tired with either getting annoyed with today's gaming industry and feeling nostalgic/weepy over how good gaming used to be when I was kid (grew up with the 6th & the 7th generations of consoles).

The Atari scene is alien enough for me that I don't have much of an emotional connection to it (no nostalgic factor), while feeling fresh and new for me to get interested in.

The homebrew scene seems captivating, considering I always wanted to learn how to code.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...