IGNORED

How important is the TI footprint for a cartridge board?

Posted (edited)

I sent my first revision of my ROM/RAM cartridge board to be fabricated.  The way I laid it out resulted in a PC board that's about 3.5x3.9 inches, excluding the edge connector.  I measured my defunct Ed/Assem cartridge board at 1.9x3.9 inches.  Rotating the parts by 90 degrees and shuffling them a bit can achieve the same footprint as the TI board, but it's a tight fit.

I realize the resulting cartridge would stick out over the sloping "coffee warmer."

It's not a problem for me, but would that be a sticking point for other people?

K-R.

Edited by Kchula-Rrit
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 1:56 AM, Kchula-Rrit said:

I sent my first revision of my ROM/RAM cartridge board to be fabricated.  The way I laid it out resulted in a PC board that's about 3.5x3.9 inches, excluding the edge connector.  I measured my defunct Ed/Assem cartridge board at 1.9x3.9 inches.  Rotating the parts by 90 degrees and shuffling them a bit can achieve the same footprint as the TI board, but it's a tight fit.

I realize the resulting cartridge would stick out over the sloping "coffee warmer."

It's not a problem for me, but would that be a sticking point for other people?

K-R.

ROMOX cartridges used a somewhat similar set of dimensions (later, Navarone also used these cases for a while too), so larger cartridges were definitely a thing.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 11:04 PM, Gary from OPA said:

There been cartridges bigger than the normal ti sized ones in the past. The only issue with longer carts is needing it's own custom case, but now with 3d printers that not much or an issue any more.

Not an issue for me; I made this with my 3D printer.

BreadboardAdapterConnectorSide.thumb.jpg.7a49e9ae541036cc1337580577f4d216.jpg

The 3D print worked the first time!

BreadboardAdapterBack.thumb.jpg.5f88ff9a14c880747f3192091d02614c.jpg

This was a cartridge-to-breadboard adapter I made, before another user sent me one.

K-R.

Edited by Kchula-Rrit
  • Like 5