IGNORED

Anyone use their 2600 on a Dell 2001fp monitor?

pphughes

Hello,

I have a Dell 2001fp 4:3 monitor I use for various 8-bit machines as it features s-video and composite inputs along with VGA and DVI. It's quite a popular choice with retro gamers due to the inputs available.  I connect my Commodore 64 to it via the s-video input and it works really well.

A couple of months back I got my light sixer modded to provide s-video and composite outputs. When connecting to this monitor, many games run very well, but most of them seem to suffer a display issue where it appears that the image has rolled vertically by a quarter of the screen.  For example, Pac Man shows the bottom 3/4 of the screen first, then the top 1/4 at the bottom of the screen. This happens through both s-video and composite.

I'm assuming that some games are running in some graphics mode that the monitor can't sync to correctly. They're fine connecting to standard TV via composite input.

Just out of interest, has anyone else got a modded 2600 and a Dell 2001fp they've tried connecting?

Regards,

Paul

Edited by pphughes

6 hours ago, pphughes said:

Hello,

I have a Dell 2001fp 4:3 monitor I use for various 8-bit machines as it features s-video and composite inputs along with VGA and DVI. It's quite a popular choice with retro gamers due to the inputs available.  I connect my Commodore 64 to it via the s-video input and it works really well.

A couple of months back I got my light sixer modded to provide s-video and composite outputs. When connecting to this monitor, many games run very well, but most of them seem to suffer a display issue where it appears that the image has rolled vertically by a quarter of the screen.  For example, Pac Man shows the bottom 3/4 of the screen first, then the top 1/4 at the bottom of the screen. This happens through both s-video and composite.

I'm assuming that some games are running in some graphics mode that the monitor can't sync to correctly. They're fine connecting to standard TV via composite input.

Just out of interest, has anyone else got a modded 2600 and a Dell 2001fp they've tried connecting?

Regards,

Paul

I actually use of these myself in the lab for the very reasons you stated due to all the inputs it offers. That said, I've not noticed what you are describing on the 2600s or 7800s that I've done doing this. What I have seen, is that some games will cause the s-video do blank out for a sec or two at certain points and that is due to those games and how they were programmed likely not following the proper scanline count as they should. CRTs are more tolerant of this while modern displays are NOT.

And example of this is actually the game Ninjish Guy that is available to play through the 2600 plus cart. It is an older version of the game and exhibits some of these issues while the actual released version of the game doesn't. 

Some games also might appear to be a little shifted a little more to the right as well vs the same image on the CRT that I've got it connected to at the same time.

Many thanks for replying. I've also read that there are differences with this model of monitor depending on the year of manufacture, so one manufactured a year later may not exhibit this issue. I may try and obtain a Dell 2007fpb, which also has s-video and composite inputs and give that a go.