IGNORED

Fatal punishments games deal out when you run out of time or loiter (most of them probably do this). Discuss the games (any system/handheld/arcade), and how you die.

Hey all.

Yes, it probably happens most games-- you run out of time (sometimes you didn't even notice you were out of time until you died), or maybe you just screwed around in one area for too long and you are killed off somehow (something often comes from behind to get you, or something gets dropped on you).  But it can't be something that just hurts you more and more until you beat a level or scroll forward enough or something-- it has to end you!

One of my favorite examples-- and I found this out TOTALLY on my own:

OUT OF THIS WORLD/ANOTHER WORLD

At the very least, this works on the Genesis port.

If you stand in one place for several minutes, a tiny UFO makes an appearance.  It moves VERY slowly and will eventually stop right above Lester and blast the ever living daylights out of him!

Discuss any other game deaths you can think of created by time running out/loitering.

I cannot contribute any examples because I utterly hate games with timers and time limits! For me, much of the point of the game is exploring the environment and a time limit makes that impossible.

Some games, e.g. Doom, award bonus points for finishing a level quickly. I always rank very poorly as I ignore the timer when I play. 

• Like 1

For the early duration of the arcade scene in the early 1980s, the British company Century Electronics had some games that had a countdown timer and if it expired, YOU expired.  I remember playing the blah Amidar-like game RADAR ZONE and if you took too long to complete a stage, a 10 second counter began with creepy voice sample.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSk8ISL6GXCPQBBgIAyE7q

47 minutes ago, aeberbach said:

"Evil Otto" in Berzerk (1980). Could that have been the first?

I think Heiankyo Alien had a similar "unleash something you can't stop" motif back in 1979.  If you take too long in the maze the floodgates open up and aliens pour into the maze-- too many to bury-- and they overrun you.  So more like an automatic death than even Evil Otto!

• Like 1

In Centipede when you fail to clear the level quickly enough and the "side feed" starts at the bottom, spitting out a new Centipede section every few seconds.  

Perhaps a bit more obscure, but the arcade game Mr. Do's Castle.  You can kind of hang around on a screen and point press a bit but eventually all the remaining onscreen enemies start mutating and multiplying into these super fast blue zombie guys that rip around the screen at 10x the speed your character moves.  Pretty much impossible to survive once that mode kicks in.  

• Like 1

Out of this world has a bunch of these. For instance, right in the beginning, if you get out of the pool and then stand adjacent to it for a minute, a tentacle comes out of the pool and grabs you/kills you. 

This probably doesn't count, but in top down space ship shooter games like Raiden you'll assuredly die if you don't touch the controls and let the player remain in one place for very long since enemies and fireballs are constantly launched at the player.  

I know there are more that the theme here but I can't think of them right now.

I like the franticness of Bomberman when the maze starts filling in from descending blocks as the timer is ticking down. It creates a panic, forces everyone toward the middle of the screen and has its own element of strategy.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 8:00 PM, retrorussell said:

I think Heiankyo Alien had a similar "unleash something you can't stop" motif back in 1979.  If you take too long in the maze the floodgates open up and aliens pour into the maze-- too many to bury-- and they overrun you.  So more like an automatic death than even Evil Otto!

Whoa, I've never heard of this game before... but the poster looks terrifying!

undefined

• Like 1

If you loiter too long in a couple Konami beat-em-ups, there are instant deaths.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time drops bombs on your head after several warnings by Splinter to move on.

In The Simpsons, a giant hand flicks you and immediately kills you.

720 Degrees has a swarm of bees attack you when you run out of time/money to get to another event, but maybe that shouldn't count as it can be avoided, even as it gets faster.  It is an instant kill when it touches you, though.  Kind of a cool call back to Atari's Crystal Castles.

SOS aka Septentrion for SNES.

You have one hour of real time to get out of a capsized, sinking luxury cruise liner. If you don't, the water slowly fills up and your last seconds are filled with frantic swimming and scrambling to find a pocket of air until the screen slowly fades to black. 

2281664-sos_12.png

You and 2300 other passengers have died. But at least you get a nice watery tombstone for your efforts

2638533-septentrion001.jpg

Granted, even if you succeed, the ship will still sink and depending on your actions "only" 2294 - 2300 people will die.

• Like 1