IGNORED

New Product: TI-99 Original Joystick Coupler.

Hi everyone, I've been wanting to make one of these for the TI-99 for awhile and here it is. A controller coupler for games like Robotron and Microsurgeon. Additionally this can allow homebrew developers to create new games that leverage dual joysticks.
IMG_0305.thumb.JPG.c0b5ca93f3797660072de50145565645.JPGIMG_0306.thumb.JPG.1eb3ddc56e0db2808070375c46e17140.JPG
For those of you with the 2600 adapter pair, I make a 2600 Controller coupler as well. I just wanted to be sure OG TI-99 controllers had support as well.

PM me directly if you'd like to buy direct and I can knock some off the price (fees / taxes suck)
Edited by 8bitwidgets.com
  • Like 8

I like this idea.  You may, however, likely sell more of the Atari 2600-style couplers as people around here are possessed with a deep hatred of the "pain sticks."

post-27864-0-23446200-1523412267_thumb.jpg

Reverend Mother: Put your right hand in the box.

Paul Atreides: What's in the box?

Reverend Mother: Pain.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, evg2000 said:

I don't think they will work with my TI joysticks :) I do see you have original in the title, not the newer style they released.
not sure how many people have these.

image.thumb.jpeg.6bec2b2b6684f002e15eba84ac52a195.jpeg

Those were my original set of joysticks (and I still have them). That honey-ball on the top of those sticks left my palms bleeding after 30-40 minutes of Space Invaders every time. True pain sticks indeed. . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, evg2000 said:

I don't think they will work with my TI joysticks

mail them to me and i'll make you some that do! :)   Free other than you cover shipping.  

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

a deep hatred of the "pain sticks."

nope you're 100% right.  I'd not gotten around to this because i knew it's not like it's super loved, but i still felt they deserved representation.   I have other couplers for the 2600 that I've had for awhile. If anyone is looking for those let me know too..  on the same etsy store of course.  :) 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Reverend Mother: Pain.

LOL, so after giving it some thought with that term running through my head I decided to offer something to help make it a bit less painful..  

image.gif.41b1a4e8711a2da3d18d9d127a062453.gif

image.thumb.png.0f2daf422cb76c76a3c4fb322123aee5.png

This should make it more comfortable to play with your thumbs.  spread some of the pressure out over a rounded textured surface.  Also making a couple of recesses inside the coupler where the two caps can lock into for storage or if not desired since I know I'd lose mine in no time if I didn't do something like this :) 

image.png.b24a12781665d6119485402258bf3edc.png

• Haha 2

This caught my eye as I played a lot of Robotron 2084 on the Atari 5200 over the weekend.......

How is the TI Atarisoft version of this game?  I'm no fan of the Atari carts I do have (Pole Position, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug and Moon Patrol).  Beautiful looking games that play buggy or feel incomplete to me..... I would have a hard time believing that Robotron (with all the constantly moving action) is any good here.

This is certainly a nice idea for getting good use out of the OG TI-99 controllers!!!

1 hour ago, TeddyBear89 said:

Robotron 2084 on the Atari 5200 over the weekend.......

you have a coupler for it? :)   I make one for the 5200.  

How is the TI Atarisoft version of this game? 

It's better than some, not as good as others.  I think it's a really solid effort

This is certainly a nice idea for getting good use out of the OG TI-99 controllers!!!

I try to cover all the major joystick options out there.  I don't couple all 2600 controllers when some get pretty obscure..   I'm also excited to report that someone is sending me a pair of the second generation of TI-99 controllers to couple as well soon..

image.png.e88e1b6c4621d8a3dfc032de1ad819f4.png

• Like 1

BTW, those pretty pain stick beasties with the side buttons are actually the OG TI joysticks, originally introduced with the 99/4 and maintained through the early 99/4A release period.

I also like the caps you did up for the later pain sticks. There was an aftermarket ball that could be put onto them BITD that has always been pretty HTF, so having a new option is a good thing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

originally introduced with the 99/4 and maintained through the early 99/4A release period.

ah i didn't know that.  

3 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

I also like the caps you did up for the later pain sticks.

yea i imagine someone would have offered that back in the day.  this one stays on nice with friction.  

6 hours ago, 8bitwidgets.com said:

yea i imagine someone would have offered that back in the day.  this one stays on nice with friction.  

I actually found one of mine in the original package when I went looking for something else in one of my parts bins tonight. . .it was a blue rubberized ball.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 1:01 PM, 8bitwidgets.com said:

added a video to help show how they work 

What service do you use to ship?  That will determine if I use my PO Box (USPS) or my physical address (UPS, Fedex, etc) for shipping.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chris36 said:

That will determine if I use my PO Box (USPS) or my physical address (UPS, Fedex, etc) for shipping.

I typically use USPS..  insured and has tracking for smaller things like this.  UPS for bigger / heavier packages.  

• Like 2

On 6/20/2024 at 5:01 AM, chris36 said:

What service do you use to ship?  That will determine if I use my PO Box (USPS) or my physical address (UPS, Fedex, etc) for shipping.

I have these in my store as well and you can pick what shipping you like there https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/store/#!/Texas-Instruments-TI-99-Joystick-Controller-Coupler-Thumb-Comfort/p/675426790/category=0 these are purchased from him for resale and support this project..  also I'll be adding more of his designs for dropship as I have time

Greg

• Like 6