IGNORED

NES graphics issue after cleaning & recapping

I just brought my front-loading NES out from storage now that I have built a cabinet for all my old consoles. Unfortunately I started getting the flashing red light and a magenta color on the screen.

I disassembled it, cleaned everything, tried disabling the CIC, tried recapping the power supply, and logic board and nothing has helped.

I’m getting garbled graphics on all the games – some are worse than others.

Here’s a video I made explaining what I’ve tried and showing the issues I’m having with the various GamePaks

I’d appreciate any suggestions on what to try next to get this working. Thanks!

magenta-screen.jpg

mario2.png

metroid.png

Looks like you only bent the pins, did you do the right kind of bend and is that where you stopped?

You bend only the upper part games touch LOWER row and you pull them up gently to touch the upper side of that row and release on each.  After that you need to get a boiling pot of water going with something like paper towel in the bottom to be safe with the plastic frame the connector has.  Set a 5min timer, then use an old NES cleaning kit or rig one up, and in-out tha 10x from the slot just after removing from the water.  The pull n boil has never failed me, done it repeatedly.

I don't want yet to believe your PPU is starting to fail, but that is a small possibility.  It won't fix it, but if you didn't when it wa sopen I would snip/pull that pin4 on the 10NES so it no longer blinks when you turn it on as that goes a long way, also opens up using the PAL games largely too like a top loader can handle.

• Like 1

Are you still using the bent pin connector or did you put the one you bought on Amazon back in?  If you're still using the bent pin original, I'd say put the Amazon connector back in.  Even though you didn't get good results with it originally, you might have better luck now that you recapped the system and such.

Corruption like that is most likely the 72 pin connector. I have boiled many a NES connector myself!

The first thing I learned refurbishing NES consoles was never to buy those cheap 72 pin connector knock offs. None of them worked properly for me. All of them were manufactured in such a way that it death gripped carts.

What I do is remove the original connector, bring a pot of water to a rapid boil and drop it in. I leave it in there for 10-15 minutes. The plastic connector does not melt or get damaged.

After the 10-15 minutes I remove it and hit it with some cold water. I think this tightens the pins in the connector up a bit. Cartridges inserted into a 72-pin connector after this process are not death grip tight, but they definitely feel like they are being plugged into a new connector and not something that has been worn out.

I have been doing this for two decades maybe? I have never had the process fail me and every NES works fine after this. And they stay working fine. I never had to revisit the process.

It's easy and it works.

Now, since you farted with the pins on that original connector I would suggest to do your best to straighten them out as much as possible with a small screwdriver or spudger and try the above method afterward.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2