IGNORED

Must-own NES games?

Come up with a list of games that have universal appeal and everyone who owns an NES should have in their collection. I'll go first

Super Mario Bros 1-3. Probably doesn't need to be said. They're semi-difficult by today's standards, colorful, short enough to be able to finish in one day, and just plain fun.

Kirby's Adventure. See above, except this game is easier, and there's no timer. Plus save functionality so you don't feel like you have to block off a whole day to try and beat it.

Mega Man 2. This was the peak of the series for me, though #3 is a close second. The game's difficulty might be a little on the high end for some but if you know which weapons to use on which stages, the boss battles are fairly easy. All the Mega Man games are solid though.

Lolo 1-3. Relaxing and simple puzzle games that get progressively harder the further you get into it. Strongly recommend and I don't see how anyone could dislike these games.

DuckTales 1 and 2. Universal appeal. Not sure how anyone could dislike them.

Tiny Toon Adventures 1 and 2. See above.

Tetris. I don't think anyone can dispute that you need to have it in your collection unless you already have it on another system. Hard to f*** up Tetris.

Excitebike. This might be a little more "genre" meaning it won't have universal appeal but it's such a fun game and has set the standard for physics-based racing games I don't see how you can't have it in the collection.

Rad Racer. Again, might be a little too "genre" for this list, but it's essential, in my eyes.

RC Pro-Am. See above.

Contra. Might be the most accessible 2-player simultaneous NES game I can think of. Doesn't really need justification to be on this list. Difficulty might be up there for some.

Baseball Stars. You really can't f*** up baseball. Again might be a little too genre for average people but most people understand the game of baseball. I enjoy all the games in the NES in this subgenre but I feel this and Baseball Simulator are the ones I come back to the most.

TMNT 2 or 3. Don't need any justification here, I think most people agree they're great 2 player games.

I would throw either of the following in the list as well- Superspike V'Ball and Super Dodgeball. Similar games that are both fun for 2 players.

Track and Field. don't see how anyone could dislike it.

Excluded Metroid from this list because I think your average person will have no f***ing clue where to go or what to do. It was hard for me to get the varia suit and Im a seasoned gamer. The ice missile was hard to get as well. Very little instruction in this game. Personally I love it but I'm kind of hardcore.

I'm not putting Zelda on the list because I just feel it hasn't aged well. The type of movement you have with Link is so restrictive for a game where enemies come at you from 360 degrees. It's not always clear where you have to go. Was awesome back in the day of course and personally I still enjoy it.

Other games I *personally* love but the average person won't be able to enjoy due to their difficulty or level of broken-ness:

Castlevania 1 and 3

Battletoads

Battletoads/Double Dragon

McKids

California Games

Faxanadu

Star Tropics

Monster Party

Bart vs the World

Beetlejuice

Adventure Island 1-3

Monster Truck Rally

Dragon Warrior 1-4

Crystalis

Ninja Gaiden 1-3

Double Dragon 1-3

Platoon

What say you? Would you dispute any of the ones on my "essential" list? What games would you add to that list that you think almost anyone could enjoy?

1 hour ago, dudeguy said:

Come up with a list of games that have universal appeal and everyone who owns an NES should have in their collection. I'll go first

I guess it depends upon what you mean by must own, or should have in your collection. It seems by your wording (universal appeal), you just want a top games list for NES, that doesn't have NES-hard difficulty,not...

• A list of games that are iconic and console defining. This might include games that aren't fun to play, but come to mind when you think of the console. For the 2600, it would include games liike Pacman, E.T., Custard's Revenge even if those games don't play well. For NES, a console defining list might include, TMNT 1, Top Gun, and Deadly Towers even though they aren't great.
  • A regular best of list, should include exclusives that were only available for that console or were at least among the best versions/ports of the game. A list like that might include Bionic Command (the NES port is very different), Little Samson, and Wizards & Warriors.
1 hour ago, dudeguy said:

Baseball Stars. You really can't f*** up baseball.

You can though.

NES_Bases_Loaded_cover_art.jpgBases_loaded.jpeg

The behind the pitcher view, the stealing/running with its weird A+(Starting Base) to return or B+(Starting Base) to advance a runner which is very different from most baseball games these days.

Edited by CapitanClassic

3 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

I guess it depends upon what you mean by must own, or should have in your collection. It seems by your wording (universal appeal), you just want a top games list for NES, that doesn't have NES-hard difficulty,not...

• A list of games that are iconic and console defining. This might include games that aren't fun to play, but come to mind when you think of the console. For the 2600, it would include games liike Pacman, E.T., Custard's Revenge even if those games don't play well. For NES, a console defining list might include, TMNT 1, Top Gun, and Deadly Towers even though they aren't great.
  • A regular best of list, should include exclusives that were only available for that console or were at least among the best versions/ports of the game. A list like that might include Bionic Command (the NES port is very different), Little Samson, and Wizards & Warriors.

You can though.

NES_Bases_Loaded_cover_art.jpgBases_loaded.jpeg

The behind the pitcher view, the stealing/running with its weird A+(Starting Base) to return or B+(Starting Base) to advance a runner which is very different from most baseball games these days.

I thought I was the only one who didn't like Bases Loaded. I figured judging by the fact that they made three sequels and there's a ton of cartridges floating around, someone liked the game

You are using an unusual use of the word genre (genre: is any style or form of communication in any mode with socially agreed-upon conventions developed over time), it doesn't mean "universally enjoyable and not difficult," Your NES list is also missing lots of sports games.

Basketball: Double Dribble is an iconic NES game. The game featured cutscenes when you dunked the ball. It wasn't till NBA Jam that a better arcade style basketball game would be made.

Football: Tecmo Super Bowl. Featuring the NFL and NFL Players licenses, so you get real players and teams. The players weren't as broken as Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl, and it offered a real NFL season play with injuries, modifiable playbook (necessary versus Eagle's nose tackle), and tracking of payers stats. Still gets ROM hacks to this day with updated teams and players.

Hockey: Ice Hockey / Blades of Steel - the former is more kid like, with the latter featuring boxing as much as hockey. BoS seems to better remembered by most NES players as well 

Soccer: Nintendo World Cup part of the Kunio-kun (Hot-Blooded, ie juvenile delinquents) series in Japan. You already mentioned Super Dodgeball which is another classic.

Golf: NES Open Tournament Golf / Golf Grandslam both are excellent golf games, with good control and fast load times. I almost never hear about Golf Grandslam, even though it is probably superior to NES Open.

Boxing: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out is really just a rhythm/ puzzle game. Most players can beat almost all the boxers after practice with the exception of Tyson / Sandman, and occasionally Bald Bull and Super Macho Man, that require faster reflexes.

Wrestling: Pro Wrestling gameplay matches what people think of when talking about the WWF. The WFF Wrestlemania game is awful on NES. WWF wouldn't get a good licensed game until the SNES.

Other Sports: ???

Billiards / Pool: Side Pocket or Lunar Pool.

Racing: could have included Micro Machines, although it is unlicensed.

Skateboarding: Skate or Die

Not sure what is difficult or broken about Dragon Warrior 1 (or any of them). Those Japanese RPGs are simple improve your stats, grind to meet the next set of enemy games. These sort of games need the instructions to set the tone and make them enjoyable to play. Either DW1 or Final Fantasy are the most iconic for NES. There are quite a few others to choose from.

I don't see anything difficult about beatem ups on the NES, since you already have TMNT 2/3. Double Dragon 2 is a classic on the system and extremely playable. (DD1 being only one player holds it back). Also Battletoads is easily enjoyable, until a lot of people get stuck on the Turbo Tunnel. Could have thrown in Mighty Final Fight or River City Ransom

What's difficult about Crystalis or Star Tropics. Star Tropics practically leads you where you need to go. Talk to everyone in town. Get a mission to go into the caverns. Get a new weapon, fight a boss, repeat on the next level.

You are missing the shooting genre (I separate Run n Guns like Contra from it). Lifeforce or Gradius are good examples. There are lots of choices on the NES though. Especially if you include non standard space shooters like Jackal or The Guardian Legend.

The Point n Click genre has either Maniac Mansion or Shadowgate in it. There are others like Deja Vu and Uninvited, but Shadowgate is more iconic.

I'm sure there are a handful of other I am missing. The NES had over 700 licensed games in the USA, and 100+ unlicensed games. Narrowing it down to 20-50 really great games on the console would be difficult.

Edited by CapitanClassic

8 hours ago, dudeguy said:

Contra. Might be the most accessible 2-player simultaneous NES game I can think of. Doesn't really need justification to be on this list. Difficulty might be up there for some.

Super C is right up there with it, as is Guerrilla War.

Edited by Dire 51
  • Like 1