Jump to content
IGNORED

Need 500 of you to like the latest Atari podcast video on YouTube


jeremiahjt

Recommended Posts

Ethan Stearns, Vice President of Games, said if the latest Atari podcast video on YouTube got 500 likes, then they would discuss doing a special run of VCS 800s with a clear case. Now do I really believe they would do it? No, but nothing wrong with fulfilling the stated requirements and seeing what happens.

 

 

Edit: Darnit, I am not used to News being at the top of the page. There are a few pieces of news in the podcast, so maybe it fits. They talked about Awesomenauts servers, possible Intellivision hardware, new 2600+ stuff, so it counts for news.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe they should prioritize focus on shipping the (discontinued) VCS machines in a usable state first.

 

3 of the 4 I ordered were bricked out of the box, forcing me to USB them into usable form. Sure, I can do it. And I did (what a PITA that was) but it's completely inexcusable.

Actually, one had to literally be sent back because they shipped me an RMA unit (as new) by accident (as said) but it had pen markings on the back and was beyond an easy USB flash. It's like they're taking all the returns, making sure they power on, not checking any further then selling them off as new.

 

But hey... clear cases!

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny... 4 out of 4 I bought have been flawless.

 

There is ZERO issue with the hardware.

 

There were changes in the backend software that caused some hiccups.  They've resolved most of it...and more updates are in progress and coming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ethan is a smooth operator, but I think he has no idea of production operations. I mean, at one point he assumes all cases are produced clear and then painted, lol. By far not an expert but knowing a thing about injection molding, I'm quite sure the cases have the color of the used raisin, which is almost certainly black, so if you want to make it clear you would have to clean a machine and fill it with special plastic. That's assuming the mold is already in some machine. But we know Atari has terminated the original manufacturing contract and is probably selling from stock, so the tool is likely stored away in some warehouse. Getting it maintained, transported to a suitable partner, installed and run a very limited amount with special material would be so expensive, that the selling price would probably have to be in the thousands to recover the costs. I like this whole idea but Atari would be crazy if they jump into such a harakiri move just on the off chance that all 250 folks who liked the video (some just for funsies as evident from this thread) actually buy this idea at say 5x the normal price just to have a fancy transparent case. Again, I support this but I think there's almost no chance that anything would come out of their internal discussions, if they start them at all.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CharlesEChuck said:

Ethan is a smooth operator, but I think he has no idea of production operations. I mean, at one point he assumes all cases are produced clear and then painted, lol. By far not an expert but knowing a thing about injection molding, I'm quite sure the cases have the color of the used raisin, which is almost certainly black, so if you want to make it clear you would have to clean a machine and fill it with special plastic. That's assuming the mold is already in some machine. But we know Atari has terminated the original manufacturing contract and is probably selling from stock, so the tool is likely stored away in some warehouse. Getting it maintained, transported to a suitable partner, installed and run a very limited amount with special material would be so expensive, that the selling price would probably have to be in the thousands to recover the costs. I like this whole idea but Atari would be crazy if they jump into such a harakiri move just on the off chance that all 250 folks who liked the video (some just for funsies as evident from this thread) actually buy this idea at say 5x the normal price just to have a fancy transparent case. Again, I support this but I think there's almost no chance that anything would come out of their internal discussions, if they start them at all.

I have to edit my smart pants comment. If Matt was hired for his qualification and not just bacause he's an old school friend, he should actually consider this and prove my math wrong. Maybe he made sure the mold is already stored at the right partner for re-runs and the transparent 90s/prototype/jail raisin is not that special. History proved that the rarest consoles have the best value over time (see the Jaguar) and I could imagine the best video game community out there could actually have the power to buy out a small run of this interesting concept, even at a price that may look ridiculous to outsiders. They should at least throw the numbers at a calculator once to see if it could work. I mean, the video has more likes than the last 6 episodes combined. Go Ethan!..

Edited by CharlesEChuck
..and Matt!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2024 at 6:16 PM, PowerDubs said:

Funny... 4 out of 4 I bought have been flawless.

 

There is ZERO issue with the hardware.

 

There were changes in the backend software that caused some hiccups.  They've resolved most of it...and more updates are in progress and coming.

 

Why did you buy 4 of them?

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

 

Why did you buy 4 of them?

Same question. Also it's already the third person on AtariAge that owns four of them, afaik. Personally when I buy a video game system I already own, it's a new model. But to each their own I guess.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Same question. Also it's already the third person on AtariAge that owns four of them, afaik. Personally when I buy a video game system I already own, it's a new model. But to each their own I guess.

 

I have seven, one for every day of the week.  Can't have too many VCSes! 🤡

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...