IGNORED

Seeking feedback on new iOS NES emulator: Retroman

Hello Atari Age community,

As a fellow retro gaming enthusiast with a particular fondness for the NES era, I've recently developed an iOS NES emulator called Retroman. I'd love to discuss emulation techniques and get feedback from this knowledgeable community.

Some technical aspects I've focused on include:

1. Mapper support:
   - Full implementation of all official INES mappers (0-206)
   - Support for popular unofficial mappers (e.g., VRC7, MMC5)
   - Accurate emulation of complex mappers like FME-7 and VRC6

2. CPU and PPU emulation:
   - Cycle-accurate 6502 CPU emulation
   - Precise PPU timing, including mid-scanline effects
   - Accurate implementation of obscure CPU bugs (e.g., indirect JMP bug)

5. Performance optimization:
   - Use of Metal API for graphics rendering
   - Dynamic recompilation for improved CPU emulation speed
   - Threaded audio processing to reduce main thread load

Retroman is available on the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id6502994389

(if the link is not appropriate to be shared here, a mod may remove it)

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on its performance, feature set, and user experience compared to other emulators you've used.

I'm eager to engage in discussions about NES emulation techniques, challenges, and potential improvements. Your insights could be incredibly valuable for future developments in this field. Some specific areas I'm curious about:

- Experiences with less common mappers
- Balancing accuracy and performance, especially for lower-end devices

Thank you for your time and any feedback you're willing to share.

01.thumb.png.4a45c5a6f9b25f24d62925cbaf0dc574.png03.thumb.png.eee2554effb0e1fe509c07422fd4d6af.png02.thumb.png.36f73d9dd7b37ca0a5a2ff1611877728.png

Edited by Complete_Estimate443
link added (if not appropriate a mod can remove it)

If I can get some time aside to take a peek I could, but it looks ad supported?  If someone here were to assist, would you be able to supply a key to remove the ads in return for some testing? I know from experience here that would go a good way to getting people to take a peek at it.

47 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

If I can get some time aside to take a peek I could, but it looks ad supported?  If someone here were to assist, would you be able to supply a key to remove the ads in return for some testing? I know from experience here that would go a good way to getting people to take a peek at it.

Thank you for your interest in Retroman and for offering to test it. I appreciate your suggestion about providing a key to remove ads in exchange for testing. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't provide a mechanism for developers to generate or distribute such keys for iOS apps for in-app purchases.

However, I value the input of experienced users like yourself. If you're willing to test Retroman, I'd be very interested in your feedback, even with the free ad-supported version. Your insights would be incredibly helpful for improving the app.