IGNORED

Potential Lynx owner looking for some help

Brig

Hi guys.

I am looking to purchase a new Lynx II console over here in the UK and I need some advice.

1) Firstly, as with GB games, can games from all territories be played on any Lynx machine?

2) Do all Lynx games work on both the Lynx I and Lynx II systems?

3) Where is the best place in the UK to purchase new systems and unused games?

4) What is there in the way of active Lynx development at the moment, are there still new games coming out? If so, are there any websites I should check, any games in particular to look forward to?

5) And most importantly, what are regarded as the best 5 games for the system? (I know this will differ from person to person but I'd like to see which game names come up most).

Thanks to everyone in advance who takes the time to answer these questions.

[ 02-17-2002: Message edited by: Brig ]

quote:

1) Firstly, as with GB games, can games from all territories be played on any Lynx machine?

2) Do all Lynx games work on both the Lynx I and Lynx II systems?

3) Where is the best place in the UK to purchase new systems and unused games?

4) What is there in the way of active Lynx development at the moment, are there still new games coming out? If so, are there any websites I should check, any games in particular to look forward to?

5) And most importantly, what are regarded as the best 5 games for the system? (I know this will differ from person to person but I'd like to see which game names come up most).

1) & 2) Yes.

3) Dunno, though I suspect Ebay and/or EB.

4) As Atari-Jess said, check out Songbird.

5) I would say:

KLAX, BLUE LIGHTNING, BATTLEWHEELS, MS PACMAN,

SHANGHAI, BATTLEZONE 2000 (especially the 'secret' 3D game), ROBOTRON 2084,

JOUST, PAPERBOY, CHIP'S CHALLENGE, CRYSTAL MINES,

STEEL TALONS, XYBOTS, SUPER ASTEROIDS/MISSILE COMMAND...

That out to be enough to keep you busy...

Thanks for the info. Anymore is greatly appreciated so keep it coming folks.

Also, what are people's thoughts on Telegames UK? I have ordered a couple of Atari items from them and haven't had any problems and the prices of new hardware and software seems to be reasonable. What are your experiences with them?

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: Brig ]

I don't know about Telegames UK, but I've bought about 5 items from the Telegames US web site. The service and delivery are good, but the prices are high, especially shipping: I only use Telegames to order items that I want badly but can't find on EBAY or elsewhere.

A example is the S-video cable I bought for my Jaguar. I could find lots of AV Jaguar cables on EBAY, but never saw an S-videos up for auction. I really wanted the extra picture quality of S-video, so I finally broke down and bought one from Telegames. I think the cable price was not bad ($25 US) but the shipping and handling (12.50 US) was quite high.

Yeah, check out that Songbird guy for active Lynx development... ;-) CyberVirus starts shipping THIS WEEK!

Favorite Lynx games in no particular order:

California Games

BattleWheels

Slime World

CyberVirus

Ponx

Championship Rally

STUN Runner

Klax

Shanghai

Crystal Mines II

(what, you thought I only had FIVE favorites?)

Well, everyone else has answered the other questions, so I'll give you my favorites:

BattleWheels

S.T.U.N. Runner

Warbird's

Checkered Flag

Hydra

Power Factor

A.P.B

BattleZone 2000 (definately the secret 3D mode!!!)

Xenophobe

These are just ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Well, I'll leave it at that for now, All of the Songbird games look like they ROCK, and I've read great things. Plus there are a ton of great games on the Lynx, I only have about 20 games myself, and I think there are close too, or over one hundred.

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

I had a potential Lynx once, terrible virtual screen

If you're buying games in UK, cheapest way is to get em from EB, they don't have the consoles any more, but they still carry a bunch of games (all about £8). some branches of Game also do them.

Failing that Ebay. I'd only pay Telegames prices if they were the last company on earth. Which they're not. So I don't

Again, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post. The Lynx is getting ordered today.

Just a couple of follow up questions: liveinabin, when you say buy from EB or Game, I take it that means physically having to visit one of their stores as opposed to buying through their website? I have a couple of branches of both chains near me but haven't seen any Lynx titles. Are we talking new or "preowned"?. I suppose the reason I have bought from Telegames is that it's secure, has a decent selection, and when new games are only a tenner that can't be bad surely?

And Songbird, I may e-mail you myself about this, but where would be the best place to start if I wanted to program for the handheld? What would be needed in order to do that? And in the same vein, if anyone can point me in the direction of any amateur Lynx (or Jaguar) coding sites that would be great, just to see what the communtiy is like.

Thanks guys,it's very encouraging to see such a friendly forum community on the net these days, almost brings a tear to me eye

Ah well, until very recently, EB and Game were testing the water with retrogaming, though they didnt stretch back very far, they had reconditioned Lynxs and new Jags and new games for both, they sold out of the systems but most branches (mostly EB) should have some games in stock. None there? They only seem to have the hardware on the website, oh well, if there are any games you're partic after, let me know and I'll have a look for them (Brighton EB have a few lynx games left)

Exton!

Next time your looking for Atari stuff and find some Lynx stuff...let me know if you encounter any Xenophobes for the lynx out there!

I would love to have this game but ebay pricing on it usually gets outrageous...