IGNORED

Games for Lynx I & Lynx II

Videology

I had an original Lynx and 1 game (NINJA GAIDEN) given to me when it was a brand new system back in 1988 or 89'. I recently took it out of storage and after blowing off the dust; I still think it is one of the best (if not the best) handheld game systems out there! After doing some WEB surfing, I've found out there is a Lynx II out there. Are the games compatible? Or do I need to be concerned when buying games for the Lynx...

quote:

Originally posted by Videology:

Thanks Adrian M!

I also have a couple of other questions I hope someone can answer… I am interested in Shanghai, but how good is the image on the Lynx screen? It must be rather small and hard to see the tiles I would think…

I am also interested in Marble Madness, which I found on Matthias Domin's

Atari Lynx page, but I don’t understand what an LNX-file for use with the Handy-Emulator is.

Shanghai is great. My wife loves it on the Lynx. The tiles are small, yes, but when you move the hand pointer over a tile, there is a larger view of said tile in the upper left hand corner of the screen. Works quite well. After you play it a while you can discern which tile is which without the large display.

quote:

Atari Lynx page, but I don’t understand what an LNX-file for use with the Handy-Emulator is.

Marble Madness is not an actual Lynx cart (yet). The only way to play it is via the Handy Lynx emulator. Handy is essentially a program you can run on your PC or Mac that emulates the actual hardware of a Lynx on your PC. In other words, you can play actual Lynx games in a window on your PC just like any other video game. Emulators exist for just about any game system, including the Atari 2600, 5200, NES, Genesis, SNES, etc to name a few.

The LNX file is the format that Handy needs in order to play the lynx virtual "cartridge". Check out the Handy website for more details on how to use these programs.

Thanks Adrian M!

I also have a couple of other questions I hope someone can answer… I am interested in Shanghai, but how good is the image on the Lynx screen? It must be rather small and hard to see the tiles I would think…

quote:

Thanks Adrian M!

Uh, go out and get Shanghai. It's one of the best around. I've burned through more batteries with that one than I care to remember.

Don't worry about the screen size. It all works out fine (as has already been mentioned in this thread).

I'm just putting in another "hell, yes!" vote for Shanghai.