IGNORED

Electronic Boutique UK Lynx Humor

Albert

Sorry, I don't find it funny at all. The "humor" in this listing is not only insulting to the very people they are trying to sell to, it is also innaccurate and thouroughly unprofessional. It's part of the sarcastic, nasty attitude that pervades the mainstream video game industry and one of the reasons I hate most modern systems and games.

As I've mentioned before (and contrary to their parting shot), the Lynx battery pack is one of the most useful items I have ever bought for any machine. Anyone who actually uses one will tell you so.

They say the batteries will work "until they inevitably run out rendering the Battery Pack and the console useless, necessitating that the gamer shell out for another six batteries." This is true. I will have to buy six more D-cells. If they ever die, which they haven't so far after six years! Try that with any other type of battery pack.

The very fact that they are sold out shows that their customers are clearly more intelligent than they are.

It's because of people like you that all must be destroyed.

Headstrong. Violent. No use of the mind God gave you.

quote:

Originally posted by Rhindle The Red:

Sorry, I don't find it funny at all. The "humor" in this listing is not only insulting to the very people they are trying to sell to, it is also innaccurate and thouroughly unprofessional. It's part of the sarcastic, nasty attitude that pervades the mainstream video game industry and one of the reasons I hate most modern systems and games.

Well, I think you may be taking this a bit too seriously. First, this is a peripheral for a ten year old game system. I give them credit for even deciding to carry the Lynx after all this time. I'm sure they got a great deal on the stock, but it still takes time and money to list items like this, without knowing how much of a demand there may be. I don't feel insulted because they decided to poke fun at the battery pack. I mean, it takes *SIX D CELLS* ! That's more than many of those large Military-Grade flashlights! And it's as big as a Lynx, not to mention considerably heavier once laden down with batteries.

I'm not saying it's not useful, by all means it is and I have one myself. But it is easy to poke fun at it, given the Lynx is supposed to be a portable system. Sure, the Lynx is portable, but you don't get much in the way of battery life from it. I remember blowing wads of money on AA batteries back when it came out (and rechargeable battery technology wasn't as good as it is now). Unfortunately, I never had one of these battery packs back then. However, I can see the humor and irony in a portable system that can be used with a battery pack that doubles its travel size and probably triples or quadruples its weight.

I am quite impressed that your batteries are still working after six years. How many hours do you reckon you've used the battery pack for?

..Al

Well, I just visited the link and..well... its dead accurate - I mean, yeah - the lynx is a good old console, but the battery pack is a bit pony isn't it?

I think youre missing the underlying English sense of humour here. Obviously they dont think its TERRIBLE or they wouldn't be trying flog it to you.

It's just a bit silly next to the GBA power requirement, thats all.

We still got love for it

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: liveinabin ]

I have to agree with the majority here, pretty funny description IMHO.

Oh, a quick hello to all from an off and on lurker of the board. I'm usually hanging out over at Digital Press's Message Board as one of the Off-Topic Mods. I grew up with Atari and have a growing collection, but still have much to learn, hence my quietness on this board. Heh!

• 1 month later...

It's mean, but I'd tend to agree with it. The Lynx itself wasn't a very portable portable until they made the slimmer second model. I remember way back when I had the first one... I tested its portability by slipping it into the pocket of one of my largest pairs of pants. It did go in, but for the rest of the day I was walking around like I had a wooden leg.

Also, the energy consumption of the first Lynx was lousy. I got very upset about nearly finishing missions in Desert Strike, only to have the batteries dry up on me. Damn, I wish someone would take all those old portables and make new, more energy efficient models. It's hard to accept anything under ten hours of battery life after having a Neo-Geo Pocket, which practically sipped juice from its two AAs.

JR