IGNORED

Should I buy this Vectrex? HELP PLEASE!

chairmonkey4406

A local second hand video game store has a vectrex for about a hundred dollars. Is this a good deal? I've always liked vectrex's and I've played my friend's. I was just wondering if this was an alright price. Thanks

What does the system come with? Does the system work? What cosmetic condition is it in?

If it's in great condition, $100.00 is a fair price, but not a steal by any means.

A local second hand video game store has a vectrex for about a hundred dollars. Is this a good deal? I've always liked vectrex's and I've played my friend's. I was just wondering if this was an alright price. Thanks

What does the system come with? Does the system work? What cosmetic condition is it in?

If it's in great condition, $100.00 is a fair price, but not a steal by any means.

Well, if it's somehow escaped the Vectrex Buzz, it may be...

Well, if it's somehow escaped the Vectrex Buzz, it may be...

what?

He means that they make a lot of noise... like you'll turn it on, and you'll hear a very audible buzzing noise. Mine does this, but it's not terribly loud, so I just ignore it.

$100 seems a little high to me. Even if it's in really good condition, I'd try to talk them down to $80 or so. I lucked out and found mine for only $40 (CDN)... and it's in surprisingly good shape.

In case you didn't know, the Vectrex has a built-in game, so you can test it even if they don't have any cartridges there.

--Zero

I got mine (with the Buzz, wouldn't have it any other way! ), for $60 on eBay. ($12 s/h)

Thought it was a great deal, since I've seen them go for $80-100 easy.

Of course, when I posted that, I had like 6 people reply, "I only paid $40 for mine!!"

Grrrrrr.. :-(

If it's just the Vec and it's controller, $100 is probably OK, if it's in good shape and it's local. (No shipping, no major risk of getting ripped or damaged, etc.)

You can find one on EBay for less if you're really patient tho..

desiv

(Either way, it's worth it. The Vec is awesome!!! I've put more money into my Vec since I got than my Arcade machine. For the Vec, I got a multicart, Spinnerama, Tsunami, Omega Chase, and Protector (Oh yeah, and War of the Robots). For my Arcade machine, I got a Jpac, new side art and some new buttons.)

Of course, when I got Spinnerama, I needed to get an Atari Driving controller to use it. So I did, and it came with a 2600 driving game, so I had (of course, HAD) to get a 2600, well, I got a 7800 instead.. And then I HAD to get some 7800 games... and so it goes..

There's no end to the madness!!!!

:-)

Dude go in there with 75.00 cash and make them an offer. If they wont give it to you for 75.00 then say 80.00 tops. If they dont give it to you for that, walk away. Chances are that it is a Vectrex in normal condition, etc. The benefit is you dont have to worry about ebay and all that garbage, and you can actually examine the unit up close. Make sure you examine the thing and try it out before you make the 75.00 offer.

Good luck!

I wish there was a store around me selling a Vectrex...... I'd easily pay $100 for one. I've been dying to get my grubby mitts on one since 1983. I finally got a chance to play one for the first time at the Austin Game Expo. It took me 20 years to finally see what I have been missing out on all this time!

Prices for Vectrex consoles have been going down over the past two years. You can get a Vectrex console with controller with maybe one cart for $50-60 plus shipping.

So offering $75 is quite reasonable if in full working order. Less if the controller has bad buttons (which can be repaired).

Much less if there is a burn in the center of the tube .. or if the brightness control on back does not correct a display problem.

Check to see if the OFF/ON/Vol knob is present.

Is the controller cable all stretched out of coil?

Is the metal lever present on the controller? Does the stick respond correctly and snap back to center properly?

Take into consideration all these possible problems .. all can be fixed.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA