IGNORED

Perpetual Lynx Review Thread

Sauron

Batman Returns

I think this game gets a bad rap for being too difficult. Yes, it is challenging but it's a good game, too. The graphics are really solid, no glitches or slowdown even when there is a ton of stuff on screen coming at Batman. The controls are rock-solid, I never feel like I got hit because the buttons didn't respond.

The gameplay has some great subtle effects, too. Enemies can be knocked out by bombs from other enemies or by broken glass. If you time it right, Batman can take down two or three enemies at the same time with a single explosive. Knock a clown off his motorbike and it still comes sliding at you for a few seconds.

One of the things that makes Batman Returns a difficult game is that you can't clear an area of enemies. They just keep coming! If you absolutely don't like that style of side-scroller, then you won't like this game. I never minded it, myself, and it adds replayability once you've finished a level because it's not just the same enemy at the same point in the level each time.

Okay, the bosses are hard but my main complaint is that it's kind of boring to have to hit Penguin over thirty times to take him out. It's almost too much repetition once you know the boss pattern. But then, this is standard for side-scrolling beat-em-ups, I suppose.

I have two other minor complaints about the game. One, there is no comlynx support. I know, Robin wasn't in the movie this game is based upon but it still would have been a great option. Wouldn't it be great to have a side-scroller that didn't trap both players in the same part of the screen, too? Two, it's okay for most beat-em-ups to have the main character strolling down the street but this is Batman! It's a little odd to have Batman just walking down the sidewalk rather than sticking to the shadows or climbing over the rooftops. I guess most Batman videogames from this era suffered from this, though.

Overall, great single-player game for the Lynx!

Edited by Bones Justice

Tournament Cyberball

Tournament Cyberball is acade port of Tournament Cyberball 2072, the sequel to the original arcade game, Cyberball. Cyberball is a futuristic game of American football with robot players using an explosive gameball. The original Cyberball was ported to multiple systems in the early 1990's but the Tournament version was only ported to Lynx at the time (it was included in an arcade collection in 2004 for PS2, GC, and XBox). In the arcades, the Tournament version included two difficulty levels, more plays, a new type of robot (the powerback), more than one team to choose from, and four computer opponents with different styles of play.

Single player mode:

Unfortunately, there's not a lot to recommend on the single player game. There are no difficulty levels and although there is a choice of four computer opponents, there doesn't seem to be any difference in the way they play against you. The additional robot-type, the powerback, is included, as are at least some of the additional plays; it's hard to tell if the playbook is complete because the game only shows you a random four out of over a hundred plays at once, even in the arcade version. You can choose from multiple teams but again, there doesn't seem to be any difference between them during play. There is no league or playoff mode, just single games, which is just like the arcades.

While the basic gameplay is the same as the arcade, it plays at a slower speed, taking a lot of the challenge out of playing offense. You can really take your time choosing your receivers. On defense, the speed boost is not really even noticeable when you use it. The controls are solid and responsive, at least. A lot of the more subtle gameplay elements are missing, too. There's no bouncing or tipped passes, no cut scenes showing technicians working on damaged robots, and no ship flies out to "beam" out debris or "beam" in a replacement robot. Worst of all, robots never get damaged and start smoking to warn you that they're likely to explode and fumble the ball if they get hit. The only way robots get destroyed in the Lynx version is if they are hit when holding a critical ball. Also, an upgraded robot doesn't seem to perform any better than an original robot. It's like the programmers understood the basics of the game but never played it enough to understand the finer points of the game. One thing they did get right, though, is all of the voice samples are intact and appear to be directly from the arcade version, albeit at a lower quality. Also, since they did include the powerback from the Tournament version, you can throw the ball with that robot, too.

(continued in next post)

Edited by Bones Justice

Tournament Cyberball (continued from my last post)

Multiplayer games (2-4 players):

Like most games, the multiplayer game is more fun than playing alone. Connecting via the comlynx is a breeze but if you are playing more than two players, teammates seem to be chosen at random. One game might be 1-2 versus 3-4 then the next game (without even restarting) might be 1-3 versus 2-4, etc. You'll either have to restart until you get the match you want or simply switch Lynx's with another player unless you can live with random match-ups each time. Another sore point is which teammate calls plays for offense (and plays quarterback) and which calls plays for defense -- you can't choose and it doesn't switch at halftime like the arcade version, either. The viewpoint is always centered on the ball, too, so if your opponent has the ball and moves beyond your viewpoint, your own view scrolls your player off the screen.

There are some good points, though. You do get a different perspective depending upon if you are on offense or defense, always from behind your own team. Passing marks only show for the offense, too, just like the dual-screen arcade version. The controls are still rock solid and responsive just like the single player game. And since this version includes the powerback, both offensive players can have a chance to throw the ball around. Since the basic game is intact, you and some friends can have a fun time trying to score touchdowns against each other even if there isn't as much destruction as the arcade game.

Compared to the other home versions of Cyberball in the 1990's, the Lynx is second best only to the Sega Genesis/Megadrive version. The Sega game is fast and awesome even though it's only based upon the original Cyberball. The Sega version offers options beyond the arcade with full league play with a sixteen game season, playoffs, and a robot shop that carries over from game to game. The Sega version even has a modem option. The Amiga version is good but only has a one-player mode and no modem option. The NES and Spectrum versions are abysmal. If you have the choice, get the Sega game before getting the Lynx version.

Overall, I recommend the game only if you like sports games as their is nowhere near as much destruction as the original game. It's a much better game with friends, if you can get them to play. I've seen this game sell for under five dollars brand new many times over so if you're just curious, it's worth picking up for that price.

Edited by Bones Justice

Pit Fighter

This port of the arcade game has the unique distinction of being the only fighting game for the Lynx. The arcade game came out during that period between the popularity of the side-scrolling beat-em-ups like Double Dragon and the more modern one-on-one fighters like Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat. Still, it has most of the common elements, one-on-one fighting in an enclosed area, both against the computer and other players. It was also one of the first games to feature digitzed actors in the game rather than hand-drawn sprites.

The Lynx version has all of the same rules as the arcade game and also uses digitized actors. The basic game for one player is a series of one-on-one fighting matches in a warehouse, surrounded by a jeering crowd on all sides that will shove or even stab you if you get too close. I seem to remember being able to retaliate against the crowd in the arcade version but you can't do that in the Lynx version anyways. You can choose from one of three characters, a karate expert, a kickboxer, or a wrestler, with each having different advantages of speed, strength, and range. You and your opponent can also pick up knives, barstools, boxes, and the like to use as weapons against each other, too. Every third round, you fight a grudge match against a clone of your character for the best of three falls.

The two player game is played via comlynx and connecting is hassle-free. Instead of a one-on-one match against computer opponents, the two-player game has you fight against two opponents, though they are clones of each other. But remember how their were three characters to choose from? That's because in the arcades, three players could compete at the same time. Either they didn't think the Lynx could handle three players or (more likely), they didn't think this game would be popular enough for anyone to get a three-player match going. Every third round, you can fight one-on-one against the other player in a grudge match, again, the best of three falls. It's sad, but that's the closest thing to a one-on-one fighting game on the Lynx.

(continued next post)

Pit Fighter (continued from last post)

Unfortunately, the Lynx has a lower resolution than the arcade so the graphics look very muddled and pixelated. The arcade version featured a lot of browns, red, and blacks, but the Lynx's lower number of displayable colors makes Pit Fighter look mostly brown. You can see the basic shapes of the digitized actors but almost all details are lost due to the low resolution and low number of colors used. The character select shows a digitized close-up of the actor's face but again, they look poor; ever one looks like a horrible burn victim or someone who's face is swollen due to an extreme allergic reaction. The one positive thing about the graphics on the Lynx is that the characters scale in size when moved closer or farther away; it would be really impressive if the sprites didn't look so horrible in the first place. I think the Lynx version is the only one to include scaling besides the arcade but it's just not enough to overcome the rest of the graphics problems.

There's not much to say about the audio. You can hear the rythmic beat from the arcade tune repeat over and over. There should be audio clips between levels from the final boss but they are missing from the Lynx.

Despite, the poor graphics and simple audio, I could live with it all if the gameplay was good. But it isn't. Hit detection wasn't brilliant in the arcades but it's awful on the Lynx version. Even when you are in the middle of a combo and appear to be making lots of contact, you can suddenly have the tables turned, all of the rest of your hits missing somehow, then the computer clobbering you even though they don't seem to be connecting at all. The control scheme is poor, as well, requiring combinations of the d-pad and option buttons to do even simple moves like ducking or blocking. They rarely do what you want them to do, either.

I guess I could say that Pit Fighter is the best fighting game on the Lynx because it's the only one --but it's too painful. Even if you find this game for under ten bucks, avoid it.

Ishido: The Way of Stones

I bought this game because I was intrigued by the box art (and it was cheap). The manual is actually one of those box art posters with the instructions on the back. I probably would have paid the two bucks just for the poster but I got another game for my Lynx along with it.

Ishido is a strategy game that involves placing marked stones in matching patterns on a grid-like playing field. Each stone is marked by a color as well as by a symbol. To score points, you must place each stone next to a matching color or symbol. Placing a stone next to two or more stones requires matching at least one by color and at least one by symbol; you can't put a stone next to a couple of stones with the same color only, for example. The highest score is achieved by placing a stone in the middle of four other stones, which is the most difficult match to make. Each game starts with a pouch of stones that you are given random stones from, one by one. The game ends when you have either placed all of the stones or there are no more moves to make because there are no available matches for the current stone.

There are several game modes, too. You can play solitaire, which is more like a puzzle though you do earn points for your moves and the high score table. There are also cooperative or competitive modes for two players (either human or computer), taking turns placing stones to either earn a team high score or to outscore your opponent.

In addition to the main game, Ishido includes something called "The Oracle". The Oracle is a wise being that imparts sage advise to the player only after a four-way match. You can choose either a male or female Oracle but since it's merely text, it's all a matter of pronouns. I suppose the male Oracle offers different advice than the female one but it's hard to say since four-way matches are rare. You can turn off the Oracle if you want but it's kind of cool to get an extra reward for making the best move in the game.

Despite having excellent artwork on the box cover, the graphics and audio in Ishido are simple. The playing field is a grey grid with pockets for each stone to be played and a series of dots in the corner to represent the remaining stones in the pouch. The stones are basic colored blocks with one of the symbols on top. The only real sound is the "snap" of placing a stone on the grid. Even when you get a bit of wisdom from the Oracle, it's all text (though in a nice, cursive font). I guess it's supposed to make you think but I would have preferred something like the box cover and maybe some kind of special sound effect or music.

Overall, if you like puzzles, pure strategy, or games of solitaire, get this game. It's simple to learn but will challenge you in the long run. Though I'm not a big fan of the genre, I truly enjoy playing Ishido now and then.

Edited by Bones Justice

• 9 months later...

Pit fighter is not really the only fighting game on Lynx as there are too Kung Food, Double Dragon, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 3.

I really like this game anyway: i like its digitalized graphics which remain me the early 90ies with games like Kick Panza boxing on PC.

I totaly respect your point of view but to me it is not ugly it is just the Lynx version of a style and a nice attempt to stick as close as possible to the arcade game while the Lynx is not offering te same power.

All in all I think they succeded quite well in that difficult exercice as the game offers the ultra violence of the original one.

That's the most important thoing because Pit Fighter is known for that: throwing eveything you can grab to the face of the opponent, being betead by the public if to close...

I fully agree with what said hapsburg about Dracula The undead: amazing game with excellent interface, wonderful monochrome old movie atmosphere, oppressive background music, nice digitalized noises and a very well plot (i still remember the hidden window :) )

The only critic I can make is that the game ends too quickas I would appreciate it lasts more.

• 1 month later...

Rampart

I decided I wanted to play the Lynx version of the great game for a while now. I have enjoyed the Arcade/SNES/Amiga versions of this classic title for some time. I hold the SNES version in very high regard and assumed initially that the Lynx version would be a cut down 'Game Gear' esque type game. Imagine my surprise then, when having booted up the game I get a great rousing intro tune and a slickly presented intro with a strong medieval feel. As I pressed the buttons and selected my difficulty, starting castle location and cannon emplacements I found out theres quite a bit to this conversion of a great, addictive game.

Excellent Stuff

So my first round with the game was quite a pleasant surprise. Some really well drawn and rich graphics which capture the spirit of the arcade original beautifully. The colours really popping on the Lynx's humble screen. Vibrant greens from the land, and deep, rich blues from the sea. The boats animate on a par with the arcade original(That is to say fairly averagely) and the control system is somewhat simplistic (Cursor movement controlled with the D-pad... Straightforward really... lol...) but very acceptable and workable.

I found that my first round was over very quickly because I had not worked out the speed of the cursor when moving and the layout of the area I was protecting. The fighting phase of the game was very well done, capturing the feel of the arcade superbly. The sampled speech snippets are very well done and made me feel like I was enjoying the original game. Ready. Aim, Fire and that sorta thing. My initial frustrations were with the between-level rebuilding phase. The graphics switch to a blocky Tetris-like square grid and then random wall pieces are given to you to place down and rebuild your castle's defences with, maybe even attempting to surround another castle and get the opportunity put more cannons in a wider area for mass destruction. The turning of the pieces are handled by the action buttons. The controls are slightly slower than what I am used to and seem a touch sluggish. This may be to taste rather than an actual hardware/programming issue so although frustrated by my lack of progress I forgave the game and pressed on.

I must mention at this point the beautiful static pictures depicting the progress of your campaign which appear in between the building and fighting phases.. Guards rebuilding. Cannon's firing. That kinda thing. It just injects a little something into the game and gives it that bit more atmosphere. An atmosphere that was not overly apparent in the Arcade version. The overall presentation and game path is very much arcade inspired so this plays very quickly and initially comes across as having limited depth. Arguably this is an arcade conversion so naturally there will be some shallowness to the gameplay. This, in my mind, gives the game a certain addicitiveness as the concept is basically very straightforward and the two phases are basically condensed versions of the things we used to do as young boys (Build castles with various material/boxes/whatever, have pretend wars, knock them down again, then rebuild with a view to making them even stronger and bigger than before...) so long lasting appeal is assured to some extent. HIgh score chasing increases the lastability of the game as well. Finding like minded people to enjoy this game can be difficult but its worth taking turns with a friend and racking up an impressive high score table. My only gripe on this front is that you cannot keep your scores saved. This is a crying shame and adds a level of annoyance and frustration, especially when you score big and bag; what you believe to be; an unbeatable score. If you score well you can put your name on the high score table, three initials and then its just rinse and repeat, this time wanting to do better. The addictive quality of the arcade original is present and correct. The spirit of the game is intact. The static pictures adding to proceedings well.

Summary & Verdict

I am happy to report that on the whole I enjoyed my experiences with Lynx Rampart. Its an inspired conversion which gives the player a real handheld treat. It utilises some of the strengths of the Lynx well and it also captures the spirit of the arcade on many levels. I find certain things frustrating and feel that the controls are not perfect but any means. If you are a avid player of Rampart this will certain be irritating but not entirely off putting, especially when you see the graphics move and the speech kick in. The lack of high score saving is a total bummer and has frustrated me many a time.

If you can pick this game up fairly cheaply then I would say take the risk. The qualities and subtle nuiances in gameplay are not immediately apparent but are worth sticking with. The graphics are impressive and the sound, althought sparse is more than adequate and in some cases are very well done.

I had fun with this game and think that lot of people would enjoy what this great game has to offer on the Lynx.

Scores

Since this is my first review i'll explain my scoring methodology. I rate the game based on four primary categories. They are:

• Graphics: Are colours used well? Are the characters well animated? Is the conversion graphically accurate? Any flair above and beyond the stage design document. Presentation also plays a part. Is everything easy on the eye?
  • Sound: Good use of sound? Atmospheric? Maybe the sound is pants and does not immerse you? Good technical knowledge to get the best sonically on the Lynx?
  • Playability: Is the game easy to pick up and play? Are there any controller quirks? Any spikes in difficulty? Any issues reducing or diminishing your ability to enjoy the game. Anything improving it?
  • Lastability: Long lasting? Good value for money? Plenty of feaures or game modes? Difficulty? Options? Variations?

I give a mark out of 100 for each of the four categories. I summarise the reasons for the mark then go for a final score. The final score is not a mean average although the starting point is an average. I rate average as 50 and not 70% I mark strictly because i have a lot of games and so they have to be really truly worthy of my attention

So now onto my verdict.

Graphics: 92%

Capturing the spirit of the arcade version with great use of the Lynx's colour palette and great static shots between rounds. All the flaws and animation quirks of the arcade game are also reproduced. Which, depending your thoughts, hinder or help the game. I wanted an accurate, hand held version of Rampart so for me this has never been a issue. Very impressive.

Sound: 80%

Very sparse use of sound in-game with only beep, blips and bops singifying anything of significance but fantastic speech and great music. Not very accurate sounding to the original but very much classic Lynx noises coming from the speaker here.

Playability 89%

Captures the quirks and fun of the original well however to me a touch slugglish in control. Easy to pick up and play, later levels providng more excitement as it becomes hard to rebuild and stop the ships from dropping off their troops. The stakes get high very quickly on this game in later levels. The earlier levels are fun and give you something to aim for.

Lastability 71%

Disappointing lack of high score saving. Two difficulty levels and random selection of land mass to lay your castle defenses down onto. Gameplay flow and option selection are all done at arcade level so this affects lastability are there are no obvious improvements or additions to the gameplay. The static pages that have been added give you something to gawp at for a bit between levels hence why I gave Lynx Rampart an extra 1% for lastability lol.

Overall: 85%

This game is very well done but some annoying little issues have stopped it a attaining 90%+ score. All in all a worthy addition to any Lynx collection and an addictive game in its own right. Arcade games don't usually last a long time and this is reflectant in Lynx Rampart also. If you want a pick up and play game then enjoy Lynx Rampart with a big smile on your face. Basically regardless of your tastes in games you could do far worse then not give this title a go. If you like depth to your gaming than you'll find yourself feeling shortchanged. For me personally being able to play Rampart on the move is what impresses me the most at this present time.

Happy days and hope you get as much out of Lynx Rampart as I do.

Borrow/Buy/Avoid?: BUY

Edited by dudeydude

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Lynx Reviews in 10 words or less.

California Game: Awesome game.

Batman Returns: Good Graphics, Music, bad gameplay.

Klax: Fun but awkward to hold Lynx

Shanghai: Fun if you are an octogenarian.

Hydra: Good but you blow up too easily

Paperboy: A great adaptation of the arcade classic

Electrocop: Seems appealing but easy to get lost/confusing

Gates of Zendocon: Fun at first but gets boring

Blue Lightning: Fun game, gets a little dull after a while

Scrapyard Dog: A mediocre platformer that grows on you.

Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure: I don't get it. Boring

Dirty Larry: Renegade Cop: Mediocre beat-em-up with no music. Not half bad.

• 1 month later...

CALIFORNIA GAMES -- A REVIEW

INFO: This game is a port of Epyx' California Games to the Lynx and was the original pack-in game. It had four events in it, BMX, Surfing, Skating, and Footbag.

NOTE: A game like this is hard to review by the traditional method, so from the top...

BMX -- A difficult to control mess. The course is difficult and I crashed more times than I could remember. It's not easy, I didn't like it. There might be a gem lurking underneath the well-trodden dirt of the course, but if there is, I can not see it.

SURFING -- My favorite event out of all of it. The music sounds "totes" 80s, too the point of being extremely good. The wave crashing sound effects are very good, the event is easy to control. A sport on a video game console has never felt so fun.

SKATING -- Also quite difficult. I found myself with more scabbed knees and lost boards then I care to admit. I didn't like it much.

FOOTBAG -- The second best out of all of them - easy to control, great fun, and of course, easy-to-play but difficult-to-master.

NOTE: This review reflects the reviewers opinion. The point of a review is to reflect the reviewer's opinion. If a review is objective, it is pointless.

SUMMARY: A good game. Two very fun events that can completely sap your time and two bad ones that are just unenjoyable. While the two good events more then make up for the disastrous Skating and BMX events, it comes as a downer when you realize that only half the game is good. Nevertheless, as I said, Surfing and Footbag more than make up for it. I rate it 7.6.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice thread.

Interesting to read others thoughts on likes of:Roadblasters (which constantly gets a lot of love in RG and technically is a superb conversion, but it does get boring after a while i've always found), Steel Talons and Hard Drivin-both technically superb for the hardware, but that does'nt always equal a great game, personally never found Hard Drivin to 'work' outside of the arcades (had ST version as well) and even more is 'lost' when reduced to the Lynx screen.
Dracula is indeed bloody fantastic, atmosphere and visuals wise, but...with no battery backup, personally never found it ideally suited to handheld play, myself...
Not seen a review for Shadow Of The Beast up, yet another i personally class as technical feat in itself, but game simply does'nt lend itself to handheld play.
As for Viking Child, cracking game, more Atari trying to get a Wonderboy affair on Lynx than Sonic though it seemed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Dinolympics

I managed to pick up a cartridge for less than what it tends to go for. Though it's still fairly hard to find.

Dinolympics is the Lynx port of The Humans, a Lemmings inspire puzzle game. Thoug it's nothing like Lemmings in how it plays.

I'm not sure why the name Dinolympics was used as it suggests a more sports like game (something like Caveman Ugh-Lympics), but there you have it.

In the game each level you're given a goal and a number of humans to achieve it. You control each human individually and switch by pressing option 1 and the D-pad.

The humans can't do much, on their own they can only support another human creating a human ladder. But by picking an item they can get other abilities such as jumping, throwing, guarding, and various others.

Your tribe starts with 10 people if one of your humans dies he's replaced. Each level has a minimum number of humans required. If you don't have enough humans to complete the mission it's game over. Though you can gain new tribemembers in some levels. You also get a time limit on each level if the time runs out it's game over.

This time limit is what makes this game artificially harder. The puzzles do get complicated as you progress but while the first level has 4 minutes for a puzzle that can be solved in 30 seconds. The second puzzle had 3 minutes on the clock and needs at least 2 minutes to solve. Doesn't leave a lot of time to muck around.

To get a better idea of the game I looked up the original PC version on an abandonware site. Surprisingly all the graphics are different. While I don't think they had to be changed that much. The puzzles are also completely different. And the timelimit on each level is a lot better too, around 7 to 8 minutes.

Another the thing PC version has is 80 levels compared to the Lynx's 25 levels, and a password each level.

This is my only major gripe with this game on the lynx, you only get 1 password every 5 levels. Failing a level means you have start again from the beginning. This can get frustrating since you don't have a lot of leeway each level to complete the puzzle.

So final verdict. It's fun, the puzzles are challenging. But it could have used levelcodes per level. And more levels.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Post your own reviews of Lynx games on this thread. No particular template or format is needed. This is just a good place to put your opinions on Lynx games that you've owned. Just be sure to put the name of the game at the top of your post. I'll start it off....

California Games

Most games that are meant as tech demos usually aren't anything special gameplay-wise, but California Games is definitely an exception. This isn't a game that you can actually "beat." It consists of four different mini-games: BMX, Surfing, Half-pipe, and Footbag. None of the mini-games provide a whole bucketfull of depth, but each one of them has their own form of play, tight controls, and enough addiction to keep you coming back to beat your high score. Combine this gameplay with some of the best graphics you'll see on the Lynx, and you have an excellent addition to your Lynx library. This game is a must-have.

Mmm 6 hmm t

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post your own reviews of Lynx games on this thread. No particular template or format is needed. This is just a good place to put your opinions on Lynx games that you've owned. Just be sure to put the name of the game at the top of your post. I'll start it off....

California Games

Most games that are meant as tech demos usually aren't anything special gameplay-wise, but California Games is definitely an exception. This isn't a game that you can actually "beat." It consists of four different mini-games: BMX, Surfing, Half-pipe, and Footbag. None of the mini-games provide a whole bucketfull of depth, but each one of them has their own form of play, tight controls, and enough addiction to keep you coming back to beat your high score. Combine this gameplay with some of the best graphics you'll see on the Lynx, and you have an excellent addition to your Lynx library. This game is a must-have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

There are two games that sold me on an Atari Lynx ... 25 years ago. Both are ports of Atari Games arcade machines, and unlike games like Paperboy or RoadBlasters, they didn't show up many other places. They both have goofy acronym names, which might account for their relative obscurity. I still love these games, and the way the controls were adapted for the Lynx game pad makes these easier to play than emulation of the arcade originals.

A.P.B. - All Points Bulletin

You are the policeman, on a quest to catch your quota of bad guys before the clock runs out in a top-down, open-world map. Your car controls well, with one button for your SIREN (point it at the baddies to make them pull over) and the other for your accelerator. Don't crash, or you'll get a demerit. Get too many demerits and you're fired, game over. Lots of fun scaling effects and funny sound effects. The game resembles an early, arcade-oriented, less violent version of the 2D Grand Theft Auto games.

Want something like it now? Play Chinatown Wars for DS or mobile.

A+, system seller, holds up well today

S.T.U.N. Runner - Spread Tunnel Underground Network Runner

It's a futuristic race through tunnels and tubes, over ramps, and through waves of aggressive enemies. You have a hovering sled-like bike that loses its armored plating if you run into stuff. Drive over the boosters to catch big air, shoot down the enemies that you can shoot, avoid the enemies you can't shoot, save your Shockwave superweapon for sticky situations, and beat the clock! The outside wall is faster in turns.

Want something like it now? Play the Wipeout games on any Sony console.

A+, system seller, essential game, holds up well today

• 2 years later...
On 12/18/2019 at 4:45 PM, Nop90 said:

Very nice review, but please Igor, update the old screenshots from the alpha version with the final gfx.

Soon there will be updates a about this gam

You know you're right, when I was posting that I was thinking the screenshots were not right. All updated now - https://atarigamer.com/lynx/game/4TTUDE/559890370

• 8 months later...

Figured I contribute to a thread that hasn't seen action in a while, and what better way than with a game not previously reviewed here!

Rampage

Yet another arcade classic that saw it's way to Atari's Lynx handheld. A fairly simple yet semi addicting game that had numerous ports of varying quality across multiple platforms. The objective is simple, a mutated member of the fauna ecosystem tears into various cities smashing everything in their path(s). Go at it alone, or wreak havoc with up to 3 other players in this version. That's possible thanks to an extra 4th character not present anywhere but the lynx (not even in the arcade original)... cool considering some versions (NES) didn't even all 3 original characters. The graphics are really well done, smooth and colorful. Sound is great as well, some versions of the game don't even have sound... this one has a really nice score showing off what the lynx can do soundwise. It's not terribly challenging once you understand the mechanics, and can get very repetitive. There are only so many really unique "level designs" so after about half an hour of game play those start to get a bit old as well. Go past an hour, and yeah... more of the same. The "close up" draw distance in terms of what can fit on the screen is just a limitation of the lynx in itself. Makes it a bit harder to avoid things like tanks, and often your not sure if there are buildings left on opposing edges of the map. Not a deal breaker though. This version does feature an end that can be reached, and the limited lives makes a difference in terms of gameplay and your desire to "win". The NES version allows unlimited lives, just keep bashing away... the only thing to stop you from reaching the end is if you can be bothered to put that many hours into the game. Puts a damper on your drive to want to finish / play again.

Overall an excellent example of an arcade conversion done to basically the best abilities of the lynx, and is surprisingly more playable than you might imagine.

Scores:

Graphics - 9/10

Sounds - 9/10
Gameplay - 7/10

Difficulty - 5/10

Overall - 7/10

Final Thoughts:

It may not be a game you reach for often, but it is a nice little smash em up to waste some time with every now and then. The music is among my favorites on the lynx, behind possibly only Crystal Mines 2. The graphics are really nice as well. Game play is simple, but smooth and solid. Certainly worth a look if you haven't played before! I love the effort, given the restraints, of including music and not only all 3 original monsters... but an all new exclusive 4th character! Well done!

Edited by battleman13
  • Like 1