IGNORED

GreetingCart(TM) 2003 ChristmasCart(TM)

Andrew Davie

I've been trying to badger Albert into making a small production run of the GreetingCart with a special Christmas image. Wedgewood and Franklin Mint make collectors' plates and people buy 'em every year - why not have an AtariAge GreetingCart every year? They could be done particularly cheaply, and in a limited production run. Perhaps with a special competition label entry, as well.

Albert's always too busy, so here's a chance to put additional pressure on him. For those who aren't familiar with the GreetingCart there are descriptions of the technique, and sample images, available on these forums.

So anyway, what do people think about the idea of a relatively cheap cartridge, which does nothing but display an image - and which is released as a commemorative cartridge for, say, Christmas.

As an aside, I'd receive no royalties/income from this - I just want to see the technology "out there" so I can win a Stan Award.

Cheers

A

I vote on the Dancing baby Demo as a christmas cart, in front of a tree backdrop perhaps? With Merry Christmas 2003 scrolling across the bottome. It would be awesome. But I doubt it'd be cheap. It would certainly be collectable though, I know I'd certainly buy one if it happened.

In addition to selling the cart, we are considering giving one away free with orders over 'x' dollars ($50? $100?) We'd like to make it available inexpensively for those who just want the cart, as well. But first, we need to decide what we're going to display on the cart! And of course, come up with a label and a simple manual. I'd personally like to have several holiday screens to choose from, not just Christmas. We may run a quick contest to come up with the designs, but it would have to be fast so we can start dolling out the darts! :D

..Al

In addition to selling the cart, we are considering giving one away free with orders over 'x' dollars ($50? $100?)  We'd like to make it available inexpensively for those who just want the cart, as well.  But first, we need to decide what we're going to display on the cart!  And of course, come up with a label and a simple manual.  I'd personally like to have several holiday screens to choose from, not just Christmas.  We may run a quick contest to come up with the designs, but it would have to be fast so we can start dolling out the darts!  :D  

..Al

Why would anyone want a manual for a cart that only displays a picture ? :? :ponder:

In addition to selling the cart, we are considering giving one away free with orders over 'x' dollars ($50? $100?)  We'd like to make it available inexpensively for those who just want the cart, as well.  But first, we need to decide what we're going to display on the cart!  And of course, come up with a label and a simple manual.  I'd personally like to have several holiday screens to choose from, not just Christmas.  We may run a quick contest to come up with the designs, but it would have to be fast so we can start dolling out the darts!  :D  

..Al

Why would anyone want a manual for a cart that only displays a picture ? :? :ponder:

maybe a manual as in a card that commemorates the ownership of this thing?

In addition to selling the cart, we are considering giving one away free with orders over 'x' dollars ($50? $100?)  We'd like to make it available inexpensively for those who just want the cart, as well.  

Sweet! So the special Christmas Cart production has been approved?

If so, I think the "Free with an order over "x" dollars" is a great idea!

Why would anyone want a manual for a cart that only displays a picture ?  :?  :ponder:

Well, I think Andrew wanted to include some technical details about how the ChronoColor™ cart works, but for this particular flavor of it, I think just some type of commemorative "card" would be more appropriate. :)

..Al

I'm sure someone can come up with a Fuji-themed menorah easily enough. Perhaps upside-down Fuji's for the flames.

And if you wanted to get REALLY technical, have the select switch set the number of burning candles so it would be appropriate for each night of Hannukkah.

I'm sure someone can come up with a Fuji-themed menorah easily enough. Perhaps upside-down Fuji's for the flames.

And if you wanted to get REALLY technical, have the select switch set the number of burning candles so it would be appropriate for each night of Hannukkah.

yes, thats a great idea! I dont celebrate hanuka, but they could do something like that for Cristmas too. Like pressing the select button puts on 1, 2, or three ornaments on a tree.

Okay, here's how I'm picturing the"Atari Yule Log":

A festive, crackling fire in the center with a brick fireplace bordering the screen. Along the top of the screen will be a row of Christmas stockings with the Atari logo on them. I'm not sure how many different songs will be possible, but I'd personally like to hear "Silent Night".

What do ya think?

Well, the Fuji itself sorta looks like a tree, so just extend the middle part a bit (with brown colored pixels, of course), color the Fuji green with maybe some little differently colored pixels here and there to represent lights. Maybe have something on top for a star/angel. Have some white pixels in the background to represent snow, then just have it say "Season's Greetings from Atari!" Simple, yet elegant.

The manual/card should also have at least one recognizable Atari character on it somewhere, preferably wearing a Santa hat. Yar maybe? Hehe.