IGNORED

how hard is it to make jag games???

slimy007

How hard is it to make a jag game. I know its hard and takes a long time but is the hardware hard to write for? would it be harder to write a game for a cart or a CD? What program would be best for writing a jag program?(c++?)Would a Atari Jaguar Developer Manual help at all?

Thanks

It can't be super impossible because I know people are doing it, but I've heard that back in the day developers found the hardware difficult to work with. There's also some hardware bugs you have to work around.

The developers hardware is really expensive. An Alpine board will run you $500 at least, and theres another board (Felix?) that's hard to find as well. I don't know about the CD developers hardware, I've never heard of anyone having it.

Tempest

The upcoming Songbird release, Protector SE, will have a feature called JagFree CD which will allow new CD/CDR games to be played on a regular Jaguar. This should hopefully allow more possibilities for new games down the road.

It is VERY tough to make a video game on almost ANY platform... it takes months or even years of part-time effort to make a game close to professional quality. That's why you don't see a lot of new games coming out nowadays.

You can write some code in C, but all published Jag games were done in straight assembly AFAIK.

At Microprose UK we ported one of our Genesis games, "Tin Head" a platformer, to the 68K in the Jag in a couple of weeks - obviously it looked, sounded and played just like the Gensis game....

The Jag had some lovelly hardware bugs, but was a reasonable platform. Totally un marketed and therefore impossible for a mainstream publisher to get involved in as unit sales were apalling for the games...

quote:

Originally posted by Jet Boot Jack:

At Microprose UK we ported one of our Genesis games, "Tin Head" a platformer, to the 68K in the Jag

The problem is that while it is relatively easy to code for a 68000, the results are generally unimpressive, since the 68000 is slow and only 8bit (or is it 16?). The power of the jaguar lies in its custom chips, which are aparently a real b*tch to code for (multithreaded code is allways hard, multithreaded assembily between different chips using different languages... I dont even want to think about how hard that is).

p.s. does anyone have the official documentation that was part of the development kit? That would probably be the best way to learn how to do it. I doubt the non-disclosure clauses still apply since hasbro have made it an open system.

I don't know if this helps but here is the Jaguar Technical Reference

http://www.geocities.com/glenn_b18/jaguar/jagtrm.htm

And here is a list of links to a bunch of developer resources, and I believe the programming manual is also available online but I don't have a link to it

http://dmoz.org/Games/Video_Games/Console_...oper_Resources/

• 5 years later...
At Microprose UK we ported one of our Genesis games, "Tin Head" a platformer, to the 68K in the Jag in a couple of weeks - obviously it looked, sounded and played just like the Gensis game....

The Jag had some lovelly hardware bugs, but was a reasonable platform. Totally un marketed and therefore impossible for a mainstream publisher to get involved in as unit sales were apalling for the games...

I wonder if this is floating around out there. Would be cool to add it to the Jag library. :)

I wonder if this is floating around out there. Would be cool to add it to the Jag library. :)

humm,i wonder too,but why has he never responded??? :?:

• 1 month later...