IGNORED

7800 Dumping again...

-^CrossBow^-

This is really for Alex and Al.

Did either of you guys get your 7800 to dump correctly in Win2k? Or did you resort to using a boot disk or something like that? I still can't get mine to dump a cart completely and I am noticing that I don't think the auto cart detect is working correctly either. Small 2600 like games come down with no problems. But the larger 7800 games like rampage or double dragon, or even Xenophobe will all time out randomly still.

Just curious how you guys ended up Dumping Matt's proto's at CGE2k1?

Thanks!

It seemed to work for the most part. Some ofthe games took a few tries, and we couldn't get Decathlon or Stargunner to dump at all (I understand about Decathlon but Stargunner?)

Some of the dumps are still messed up a bit (Dumbo for instance), and when I did a file compare some roms were only a few bytes different which leads me to believe they're bad dumps. I'm going to have Sean take a look when he gets a chance.

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by -^Cro§Bow^-:

Just curious how you guys ended up Dumping Matt's proto's at CGE2k1?

I had to boot into DOS in order for the dumps to work at all. I could not get the 7800ctrl software to work properly in Windows 2000. Even when it *looked* like it was working, the dumps were garbage and would not work. And it couldn't autodetect cartridges properly either. It would be nice if someone could create a Windows version of this program. I would be more than willing to do this if the source for the DOS version is available.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

It seemed to work for the most part. Some ofthe games took a few tries, and we couldn't get Decathlon or Stargunner to dump at all (I understand about Decathlon but Stargunner?)

Some of the dumps are still messed up a bit (Dumbo for instance), and when I did a file compare some roms were only a few bytes different which leads me to believe they're bad dumps. I'm going to have Sean take a look when he gets a chance.

I'm not crazy about the fact that several of the games would not dump properly and that there's no way to determine if a dump was completed successfully. All you can do is run the game and hope for the best. And even then it might not be a good dump (as we saw with several of the games where the graphics were screwed up). This seemed to afflict certainly titles more than others, which seems odd to me.

I don't know enough about the hardware and software to understand why this happens, but given that it's easy enough to reproduce I would think that additional error checking could be introduced so if you end up with a bad dump you know. But maybe there are no provisions at all for error correction in the protocol that allows you to read a cart, in which case you'd probably have to modify the 7800 BIOS as well as the dumping software. Oh yeah, the 7800 I was using didn't have version 2.0 of the BIOS, so perhaps dumping is a bit more robust in that later revision.

..Al

Albert,

As I've told you in email, I'd gladly help you or anyone else who wants to try to port the 7800 transfer program to Windows.

As for some of the Dumps being bad: Some games have a little trouble being read at 7800 speed. For those cases I have added the -a command line switch, which will try to read games with 26Fx bankswitching types at 2600 speed. If you read out a game several times in a row and you always get a slightly different ROM image, you might want to try this. I was able to get all my problematical games to read properly that way.

BTW, one of the reasons that Cowering lists so many alternative images for certain games is that some of the ROMs floating around the net for a very long time have some of the bytes wrong that don't really affect the gameplay on the emulators. So bad dumps surely isn't a problem that we invented with our cart reader.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Al,

As I understand it...the only advantage that the ver 2.0 bios does is allow the faster transfer routines to be possible. Which may explain why some have no probs in Win2k with it. So far your the only other person to concur on the probs under Win2k as I have. So it could be something in the timing of how long the transfers take. Oh well, the boot disk thing is what I will have to resort to as well or pull out my laptop and do it that way.

Thanks for the clearing that up with me as I was curious how you had done it at the show.