IGNORED

What are the thoughts on the pic label Sears Superman ?

CPUWIZ

Ever since *cough* won it, I've looked probably at every single Superman cart on eBay (that's a lot !) and have not spotted one single one. I am beginning to believe it's safe to say it's a 9 or 10 on the rarity scale.

What do you think ? :)

How many need to pop up on eBay or how many need to be "known" by the community?

I'd say it's definitely a 10 right now... yours is the only one I've ever seen.

I'd guess there would have to be at least a few dozen known by the community for it to become a 9... or maybe at least 3 or 4 more showing up on eBay in a relatively short period of time (6 months or so).

:ponder:

(Room 34 fires up Photoshop and gets out his Superman carts and a blow dryer...)

:D ;)

How many need to pop up on eBay or how many need to be "known" by the community?

I'd say it's definitely a 10 right now... yours is the only one I've ever seen.

I'd guess there would have to be at least a few dozen known by the community for it to become a 9... or maybe at least 3 or 4 more showing up on eBay in a relatively short period of time (6 months or so).

:ponder:

(Room 34 fires up Photoshop and gets out his Superman carts and a blow dryer...)

:D ;)

I know of only one copy and it ain't mine. :(

And no, I don't mean eBay, how many NTSC Asterix's have you seen on eBay ? ;)

I'm sure CPUWIZ knows his is authentic from looking at it, so I have no reason to doubt it, but since this is the only one ANYBODY knows about it still weirds me out. In theory, couldn't any Sears cart with no officially known picture label be given one by somebody taking the right serial number and label template, and putting the art from the Atari picture label version in it?

For that matter, the same could be done to create a picture label Blackjack by Atari I suppose - lifting the art off the Sears picture version and doing it in reverse.

The pros will still be able to tell authentic labels from forgeries though. (I realize that makes it sound like I consider myself a "pro." I am pretty savvy to subtle details of printing techniques... but I'm no Frank Abagnale Jr.)

Despite the fact that CPUWIZ did a bang-up 100% pro-quality job printing and cutting the labels for Ben's "Connect the Dots" cart, I can still tell the label is not vintage.

Of course, that's because if it were, it'd be covered with Actiplaque! :P

Hey CPUWIZ, why didn't you rub some fried chicken on the labels before you glued them to the carts? :P :lol:

I'm sure CPUWIZ knows his is authentic from looking at it, so I have no reason to doubt it, but since this is the only one ANYBODY knows about it still weirds me out.  In theory, couldn't any Sears cart with no officially known picture label be given one by somebody taking the right serial number and label template, and putting the art from the Atari picture label version in it?

For that matter, the same could be done to create a picture label Blackjack by Atari I suppose - lifting the art off the Sears picture version and doing it in reverse.

I think that this cart may have been created for store use or promotional use. Either that or they may have run into some copyright infringement issues early on and had to pull the picture label or perhaps the label was printed out towards the very end of the VCS' run in Sears.

I'm sure CPUWIZ knows his is authentic from looking at it, so I have no reason to doubt it, but since this is the only one ANYBODY knows about it still weirds me out.  In theory, couldn't any Sears cart with no officially known picture label be given one by somebody taking the right serial number and label template, and putting the art from the Atari picture label version in it?

atari picture label for blackjack already exists. i have a boxed copy of this one:

http://www.atariguide.com/b0/080.jpg

Damn, that's sweet!  Why isn't that one in the AA DB?  I want one! :D

i don't know what it takes to get something added to the AA DB. i have mentioned this blackjack label several times in other forums. i have posted in the web site comments forum about other missing entries:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39080

does anyone have any hints about how to get the Al's attention for this kind of thing?