IGNORED

What is your Favorite and Least Favorite Game

MrRetroGamer

On 4/22/2021 at 12:03 AM, Jaden (JRH) said:

As for the worst game, Karateka is god awful. I don't get how anyone can suffer through that game. Honestly, I don't like Karateka on ANY system that I've tried playing it on, but the 7800 port especially is vomit inducing. Besides that, there aren't any other 7800 games I've played that I can consider bad. But there's still a good number of games that I haven't played yet.

I liked Karateka a bit on Atari 8-bit because of the cinematic-style presentation (which was a novelty at the time) and the unusually fluid animations.

But the 7800 version doesn't even get this stuff right

On 4/22/2021 at 12:03 AM, Jaden (JRH) said:

As for the worst game, Karateka is god awful. I don't get how anyone can suffer through that game. Honestly, I don't like Karateka on ANY system that I've tried playing it on, but the 7800 port especially is vomit inducing. 

Vomit Free:

• Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 10:15 PM, Cousin Vinnie said:

Oops, i didnt realize this was 20 years old... damn

Yeah but what’re your picks? Have they changed in the past twenty years? I thought this was an interesting topic to revisit, and it reminded me to pick up some of the great home brew titles that’ve come out. 

• Like 1

I remember doing a top and bottom 5 for the 7800 game-by-game podcast, but I can't find what I sent in.  I'd be surprised if my top was anything but Food Fight.  Bottom, not sure, probably Karateka.  I never liked that game on any platform, and the 7800 version is particularly bad as others have mentioned.

I do like Hat Trick and Super Huey for what they are, and I've had fun with both of those despite being in some peoples' bottom lists.  Not in my top 5 but nowhere near my bottom 5.

Edited by BydoEmpire

32 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

I remember doing a top and bottom 5 for the 7800 game-by-game podcast, but I can't find what I sent in.  I'd be surprised if my top was anything but Food Fight.  Bottom, not sure, probably Karateka.  I never liked that game on any platform, and the 7800 version is particularly bad as others have mentioned.

I do like Hat Trick and Super Huey for what they are, and I've had fun with both of those despite being in some peoples' bottom lists.  Not in my top 5 but nowhere near my bottom 5.

Playing Food Fight right now on Evercade- such a classic game.  I definitely have fond memories of Hat Trick. I’d get in the same zone with that game that I’d get with Pong.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised that no one mentioned Desert Falcon for best game! I currently own 39 Atari 7800 Games (Complete in Box) and am going for the set but there are a few that go for Crazy money!

My Favs are:

Desert Falcon (Amazing Graphics, Fun Game Play)

Food Fight (Great Arcade Port)

Alien Brigade (If only all Light Gun Games also used Joystick)

Xenophobe (Great Arcade Port)

Least Favs are:

Karateka (The controls suck)

Sports Games (Never have enjoyed Sports Games)

Light Gun Games (Don't own a Light Gun or a TV that would play them)

Flight Simulator Games (Never Liked Flight Simulator Games)

Edited by SalemFrost7800

18 hours ago, SalemFrost7800 said:

Least Favs are:

[...]

Sports Games (Never have enjoyed Sports Games)

I actually don't hate Hat Trick, but only if I think of it as Pong '88 instead of a hockey game. It's a terrible, horrible, awful hockey game. But... it's not a bad "Pong Reimagined". 

Donkey Kong PK is my favorite Atari 7800 game, and is an amazing arcade-accurate port.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

I actually don't hate Hat Trick, but only if I think of it as Pong '88 instead of a hockey game. It's a terrible, horrible, awful hockey game. But... it's not a bad "Pong Reimagined". 

Donkey Kong PK is my favorite Atari 7800 game, and is an amazing arcade-accurate port.

Donkey Kong PK is amazing, the amount of effort @tep392 put in to that was stellar. I didn't list it because I was only going by original releases but I agree Donkey Kong PK is one of the best games currently available for the 7800.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MrZarniwoop said:

I totally agree on Hat Trick. It’s like a modded Pong. In terms of that, I really like what they did with it.