IGNORED

Repairing the Odyssey 2

mechanized

As a lot of you probably know, the Odyssey 2 is part of that damnable group of consoles with attached controllers, which makes for difficult times when a controller goes bad.

Therein lies my own problem. I found an old Odyssey 2 and a bunch of games at a yard sale ($15, with that voice module thingy) and some bum controllers.

One of them functions somewhat, but the joystick is skewed somehow. As far as I can tell one axis doesn't work how it seems it should, and for some reason pushing up causes what one would normally associate as a firing button function. The controller basically works somewhat, but does not seem to work as designed unless that design entailed making controllers so counter-intuitive in function that many games are unplayable.

The other controller doesn't seem to work, but I did not really test it much because I do not normally do two-player games by myself.

Any repair tips, or any means to attach other controllers to it such that they would be compatible?

Well, you can cut the O^2 controller off of it's cable and splice a 2600 controller onto it if you have some electronics skills (ie, a soldering iron and a multimeter). Be careful though, since the pinouts are different, so you might want to look up some better information on the internet.

However, before you go to those lengths, you might want to try opening up the controller itself. From what you've said, I would guess that there's probably just dust gumming it up, or a loose spring or something. You can probably fix it without doing anything drastic.

Also, if you open up the system itself, you can actually swap the two controller without breaking anything (they connect to the system's motherboard). Chances are good that the second joystick works better than the first, so rotating the joysticks might get you some use out of it.

--Zero

The controller basically works somewhat, but does not seem to work as designed unless that design entailed making controllers so counter-intuitive in function that many games are unplayable.

Nintendo has been doing that for years. :D

(Sorry, I've been resisting this for the last 12 hours.)

Wait a minute? Aren't O2 sticks analog instead of digital? They look and feel similar to the old Tandy controllers I got, one of which I've had apart and it's using pots instead of switches. But the way the stick moves feels the same on odyssey.

I may take mine apart sometime and see. I really need to replace the cables anyways as the cable casing is cracked and coming apart close to the system.

actually, I've repaired many O2 joysticks (I like the things). Carefully take one apart, and see what needs fixing. Some just need cleaning. I've replaced the button inside a few (tricky to do, but possible). THe hardest thing to fix, and it is fixable, is when the stick breaks from from the base and grinds against the plastic at the top of the joystick unit. I remember using metal washers to fix this, but don't remember how - I'd have to crack one open and see how I did it (it's been about 10+ years since I did this). I plan on doing repair instructions for o2 joysticks on my site one of these days (I'm working on the replacement of the video cord now).

Of course, you can always follow the 'atari joystick port' thing mentioned above. I've done this too. Radio Shack has all the parts to do this. This works best with a wirewrap tool (I got one from my dad who worked with electronics - damn cool tool, no soldering required).

As for cutting the wires and putting hotwiring the connector, I would not recommend doing that. Messy and just doesn't look good - but it would work.

As far as the joystick being digital, I don't think it is. Purely analog from what I know - but I'm not an electronics expert - just good at fixing mechanical things...

If you want, I'd be willing to help with fixing your O2 joystick(s). Just PM me, and I'll see what I can do (I wouldn't charge anything - it'd actually be fun to fix one again, so I could document it....).

As far as the joystick being digital, I don't think it is. Purely analog from what I know - but I'm not an electronics expert - just good at fixing mechanical things...

That's a common misconception, since digital sounds newer and high tech. People assume digital is the most advanced. Analog must be the old stuff.

But O2 AND Atari sticks are digital. It just means ON/OFF sticks.

It doesn't measure how far left you go, just that you are going left.

Analog sticks (Apple 2's were early analog sticks) measure (with a potentiometer) how far left the stick is moving. And the O2 stick has that type of feel to it. You almost think it's registering that.

But it's not. Just 'Left' or 'Not Left'. Just digital.

I don't know if they are leaf or not. I don't hear them click. I've opened my O2 but not my sticks.

When I was younger tho, I took a stick from my broken O2 and hooked it to my Vic-20, so I know it's digital. And the WEB site shows how to hook up Atari sticks (digital) to the O2.

desiv

So, what, is it using leaf springs or something?  (The only digital alternative I can think of that feels like Analog)

I just opened up one of my controllers out of curiosity, and it uses one wide, short spring that sits right under the joystick. When you push the joystick to the side, you bend the spring to the side, and it pushes back. I've actually seen a lot of controllers that operate like this.

Leaf springs are more complicated... the only joysticks I've seen that use them are arcade machines and those huge Wico controllers.

And yes, it's definitely a digital joystick.

--Zero

Thank you all for your replies, they've been a big help in figuring out what I'm going to do.

So far it looks like I'm going to open them myself and see if it's a problem that can be fixed with basic maintenance (cleaning, etc). It there's more to it than that, I might take you up on that offer, ozyr.

...though making it compatible with Atari controllers so that the controllers would be totally detachable has a certain draw to it.... ungh! Must... keep... O^2 intact.... must... keep... intact!