IGNORED

Hokey Smokes, Protector Vectrex is amazing

eric_ruck

Via a not so subtle hint my wife bought me the Protector/YASI combo from that Mark what's-his-name guy. I can't begin to imagine how he got the Vectrex to do that...even the cartridge credits are insanely cool.

I highly recommend this to anyone with a Vectrex.

Eric

Well, it wasn't really Mark Shaker who did it... he just assembles and sells the cartridges. Thank Alex Herbert, he's the one who programmed both Protector and YASI.

Of course, I thank Mark Shaker too, since otherwise I would never have had this great cartridge :)

Anyone have any high scores to compare? I've only gotten 6950 on Protector (still getting used to the controls), but I got a pretty decent 8460 in YASI (enough to unlock all the game modes).

--Zero

I got my Y.A.S.I./Protector cart today! Unfortunately, I don't have a Vectrex to play it on....... yet. :D I can't wait to play this game.

The cartridge cases are copyrighted 1982 by GCE. So, what Vectrex carts had to die for us to get our Protectors? It kind of saddens me when old cartridges are recycled to make new games. I wouldn't mind paying $25 for the game to pay for a custom case that didn't sacrifice old carts. Especially when games for a system like the Vectrex are rare to begin with.

The cartridge cases are copyrighted 1982 by GCE. So, what Vectrex carts had to die for us to get our Protectors? It kind of saddens me when old cartridges are recycled to make new games.

Let me reassure you that no Vectrex carts were killed in the manufacture of the Protector / YASI carts! Three years ago Sean Kelly contracted with a plastics manufacturer to reproduce the Vectrex cart casing at a cost of $4 each. He even got the die designer to put in the dimple on the back (even though modern plastic manufacturing does not require a separation dimple).

Before 3 years ago .. Sean was sacrificing original Vectrex carts to make his multicarts .. and others were sacrificing Intellivision and Coleco common carts.

My best Protector score is 25k and YASI is 9k.

Yes folks .. this cart is a must have! .. At $11.50 it is a bargain!!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Crap I was going to start this tpoic up - but you beat me to it.

Protector/Yasi might be the best game EVER on the Vectrex.... everyone should have it! My best score is 42750. So far that's the best I've seen on this thread? Am I the current world record holder on Protector? HA!

Yasi is great fun too...my best is 9k also.

There are other Vectrex home brew titles of insanely good quality from John Dondzilla as well. Vecmania is one that I recommend - (6 awesome games on one cart!). Gravitrex is very good also, not too far behind Protector in quality as well.

It's really too bad the Vectrex came out so close before the great crash... if this is the kind of stuff hobbyists can do, I can't even imagine the kind of stuff companies could have gotten out of it. The Vectrex definitely had a lot of potential that is only now being tapped.

--Zero