IGNORED

DK Vector Green FINAL BIN

neotokeo2001

Thank you. I've never worked with a disassembly before, but it worked.

I'm glad it helped.

PM me if you need help working with the disassembly. Using the code to create a hack opens up more possibilities (i.e. jump hang time, mario speed, etc.).

Now all I have to do is change the score color.

The color for the score digits can be found at location $F67C

The program Dasm is used to compile 2600 binaries. This gets a bit screwy when using files that generate more than 4k of data though (you'll have to split the source into two or more files and then join them later...copying jump point references into the segments). But anyway, for 4k roms, you use this command in Dos:

DASM SOURCE.ASM -F3 -OHACK.BIN

Substitute the name of your source file for "SOURCE.ASM" and the name of the binary you are creating for "HACK.BIN". If all goes well, you should find a new binary in your folder that is exactly 4096 bytes long. The source code needs to be just a plain unformatted text file (like those created with Dos's EDIT function or Windows' Notepad). When using Wordpad or something else, be sure to save the file type as unformatted.

I'm a complete newbie at the disassembly. Can changes be made directly to your disassembly and then re-compiled?

Yeah, using the program DASM that Nukey Shay mentioned you should be able to make changes and re-compile the ROM to your hack without any problems.

For example...I have a constant for JUMP_HANG_TIME. If were to increase that value and re-compile the ROM, Mario would hang in the air longer when he jumped.

Give it a try. You might have some fun with it. It would also help in being a stepping stone to writing your own 2600 game :thumbsup:

It might also help to look through Andrew Davie's 2600 programming tutorial too. A lot of early questions can be answered here.

I'm a complete newbie at the disassembly. Can changes be made directly to your disassembly and then re-compiled?

Yeah, using the program DASM that Nukey Shay mentioned you should be able to make changes and re-compile the ROM to your hack without any problems.

For example...I have a constant for JUMP_HANG_TIME. If were to increase that value and re-compile the ROM, Mario would hang in the air longer when he jumped.

Give it a try. You might have some fun with it. It would also help in being a stepping stone to writing your own 2600 game :thumbsup:

It might also help to look through Andrew Davie's 2600 programming tutorial too. A lot of early questions can be answered here.

Thanks. Now I have to relearn how to use DOS. :)

Wow, if there was a way to make it change the color of everything on a single scan line (charactures included) it would be cool to give the gurders their red color, have everything black n white, and when your climbing or whatever, have the characture turn red, to kind of similate celophane. That's probably to complex though, but would be kinda cool I think.

Where's the bin? both those are really awesome. :D

• 3 months later...

Just an observation to DEBRO...

DK looks to have all of the display routines in the latter part of the program (following .waitTime in your source). Did you ever try making an 8k rom out of it? Looks like it might be easy by moving those routines and the applicable data tables to a second 4k bank, and altering how the variable Gamescreen works would provide the ability to have more than just a couple screens :) Maybe not true elevator and factory screens, but different ones anyway.

Just an observation to DEBRO...

DK looks to have all of the display routines in the latter part of the program (following .waitTime in your source).  Did you ever try making an 8k rom out of it?  Looks like it might be easy by moving those routines and the applicable data tables to a second 4k bank, and altering how the variable Gamescreen works would provide the ability to have more than just a couple screens :)  Maybe not true elevator and factory screens, but different ones anyway.

Paul Slocum made an 8k rom out of DK for the proposal cart hack he made for me.

I'm working on it now. It'll be easy to hack DK into an 8k cart. Then I'll have room to make a proper Atari proposal.  

And later on, somebody can use the extra 4k to add the Elevators and Pie Factory!  

-paul

You would have to ask him about the specifics, I know nothing about this kinda stuff. :)

-Tim

0673 and 067c, I think. Value $8A (X---X-X-) (Blue) game in progress, $DA (XX-XX-X-) (Light green), end of game.

DEBRO's disassembly

ldx #BLUE ; 2

sta RESP1 ; 3 = @42 coarse position GRP1 @ pixel 126

lda gameState ; 3 get the current game state

asl ; 2 shift D7 to the carry bit

bcc .colorDigits ; 2³ carry clear -- game in progress

ldx #LIGHT_GREEN ; 2 bonus timer color

.colorDigits

stx COLUP0 ; 3

stx COLUP1 ; 3