IGNORED

Make a Better Wolfenstein Contest

neotokeo2001

WolfCart50.gif

Infiltrate the Nazi Stronghold to steal the Top Secret War Plans.

Fight your way thru Nazi Soldiers, Attack Dogs and other strange beast. Stay in a room too long and the dreaded SS will find you. Use the map screen to navigate to new rooms, but beware of patrolling guards. Pick up Treasue and other items in each room. Can you find the War Plans and escape??

Map1.gif

GunRoom1.gif

RadioRoom1.gif

CupRoom2.gif

Let's make a better Wolfenstein. Download the BIN and improve the hack(better enemy sprites, new floor plan, etc). For anyone who participates and makes Wolfenstein better, I will send a copy of the hack on cartridge. Now, obviously I can't send out 20 carts. So there will be 5 carts available. If there are less then 5 entries then everyone gets a cart, if there are more then I will have a public vote to see who gets the carts.

A single sprite change will count as an entry, but if it goes to voting you probably won't do as well as someone who has more improvements.

To enter just post the BIN file in this thread. Or e-mail it to me (tokeo@bellsouth.net) and I will post it. Entry deadline Feb 1st.

wolfenstein.zip

In addition:

Adding an ending is really beyond what I can do at this time. I would really have to have someone else do it.

If the carts of the hacks are not enough incentive, I could always pay someone for adding the ending. I want to get this done if at all possible.

To anyone who can add an ending. You will get a choice of:

Space Invader Vector, Death Race, Wolfenstein and Cosmic Bowling when they are completed.(should be available within 1 month)

OR

$50 and a copy of Wolfenstein when it is available. (Pay

neo,

Can you post the most recent version of the bin? I downloaded the current one, but it shows none of your updated mods, shown in your first post.

Also, do you have the source code or disassembly for this updated version? I'll try my hand at adding some kind of ending screen, but this depends on time available( school starts again on Wednesday ), and if I can examine the source.

Thanks.

Here is the latest version of the BIN. As well as a partially documented disassembly of Venture provided by Cybergoth.

Like I stated before, I would like it to have a final room or even just an ending screen after playing thru both maps 2 or 3 times.

The game ups the difficulty after each set of maps up to set 3. Looks like a good place to start.

spriteXpos5 = $D3 ; X-Position

spriteXpos6 = $D4 ; X-Position

ballXpos = $D5 ; xpos of ball

difficulty = $E5 ; Difficulty 0-3

churrentShape2 = $E7 ; Points to GRP0 shape

desiredRepos = $E9 ; desired repositioning line for current frame

currentHeight2 = $EB ; current height used in kernel

I look forward to seeing what you can do. Thanks.

wolfenstein.zip

OKay, I started looking over the code. It seems to me that an end screen hack is very doable. Its going to take some big changes. I am thinking of removing the 2 rooms where you are just a dot, and adding about 10 - 15 of the "zoomed-in" rooms. One of which code be an end screen. Walking out a door in a room leads directly to another zoomed room.

I noticed you are using the trademarked Wolfenstein logo on your label mockup. Is that wise? I would hate to see the legal heads from id shutting down this project.

Cheers!

I, too, have been looking at the code, and adding comments, but it's been slow going so far.

My approach idea is to locate the routine that doesn't allow you to reenter a room once you've taken its treasure. Then, set up the opposite, where you are not allowed to enter the final room( probably made with the remaining PF graphics not currently shaped into a chamber. Once you've nabbed all the treasures, then the final room would allow access, and contain the Nazi plans! :)

Whether this can actually be squoze into the existing code remains to be seen, and I won't be able to experiment much this week, but maybe on the weekend.

Also, the points of entry to each room need to be located in the data, in order to change their locations. If neo wants new room shapes, we'd have to know how to signal the new entry ways when the ball( dot ) enters a room.

@Robert M.: adding more chamber rooms sounds interesting, and may work better in the long run, than my plan above. Hmmm.

Also, I agree that using the current Wolfenstein label may cause problems. Perhaps neo would be interested if I submitted some alternate artwork... :ponder:

Later,

Weston 8)

I, too, have been looking at the code, and adding comments, but it's been slow going so far.

My approach idea is to locate the routine that doesn't allow you to reenter a room once you've taken its treasure. Then, set up the opposite, where you are not allowed to enter the final room( probably made with the remaining PF graphics not currently shaped into a chamber. Once you've nabbed all the treasures, then the final room would allow access, and contain the Nazi plans!  :)  

That sounds reasonable. I haven't found where it tracks if you have completed a room yet or not. Maybe you could impose an order on all the rooms so that the player has to complete the rooms in a specific order. Only one room is unlocked at a time. If the locks are single bits in a byte, assuming %0000 means all rooms unlocked and %1111 means all rooms locked. Then, intialize to %1110. Then as each room is completed set the carry bit and perform a bit shift to lock the previous room and unlock the next.

%1110 Room 1 unlocked

%1101 Room 2 unlocked

%1011 Room 3 unlocked

%0111 Room 4 unlocked

%1111 All rooms completed

Also, the points of entry to each room need to be located in the data, in order to change their locations. If neo wants  new room shapes, we'd have to know how to signal the new entry ways when the ball( dot ) enters a room.

Yes, I haven't found that data yet either. I have found the data that tells the starting position for each sprite in each room.

The positions are packed into single bytes. The upper nybble is the starting X position. The lower nybble is the starting Y position. You have to mulitply the X nybble by 10 to get the true value, and multiply the Y nybble by 5.

@Robert M.: adding more chamber rooms sounds interesting, and may work better in the long run, than my plan above. Hmmm.

The big rooms consume the a lot of ROM space in both data and code, so replacing them with other zoom-in rooms will free up considerable ROM space. (I hope).

Also, I agree that using the current Wolfenstein label may cause problems. Perhaps neo would be interested if I submitted some alternate artwork... :ponder:  

I smell a label contest... :ponder:

OKay,  I started looking over the code.    It seems to me that an end screen hack is very doable.    Its going to take some big changes.  I am thinking of removing the 2 rooms where you are just a dot, and adding about 10 - 15 of the "zoomed-in" rooms.    One of which code be an end screen.    Walking out a door in a room leads directly to another zoomed room.  

I noticed you are using the trademarked Wolfenstein logo on your label mockup.   Is that wise?   I would hate to see the legal heads from id shutting down this project.    

Cheers!

The Wolfenstein logo is just a mock-up made by me in Paint. The final released version will have an entirely original label. I may have a label contest, not sure yet. Needle, the artist that has made the labels for Death Race, Poseidon and Space Invaders Vector does really nice work. I may contact him to make a label. As far as the trademarked name and logo, I think it would be the same as Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Mario Brothers, Etc.. As long as it stays as a small release, I don't think there would be a problem using it.

Now, on to the ending room/screen. The loss of the main maps for floor 1 and 2 would be no problem.

Having the player move from room to room sounds interesting. Once you are in a room, would you have to pick up the item/treasure before moving on?

I look forward to the final result. If you need more time, just let me know.

If 2 people want to work together, I can split the $50 and also send each person a copy of the final hack. Or if you want to go different ways and you have a working BIN(ending screen/room) that is not chosen, I will still send you a cart.

My approach idea is to locate the routine that doesn't allow you to reenter a room once you've taken its treasure. Then, set up the opposite, where you are not allowed to enter the final room( probably made with the remaining PF graphics not currently shaped into a chamber. Once you've nabbed all the treasures, then the final room would allow access, and contain the Nazi plans!  :)  

Whether this can actually be squoze into the existing code remains to be seen, and I won't be able to experiment much this week, but maybe on the weekend.

Also, the points of entry to each room need to be located in the data, in order to change their locations. If neo wants  new room shapes, we'd have to know how to signal the new entry ways when the ball( dot ) enters a room.

Later,

Weston 8)

The final unlockable room sounds really good. As far as new room shapes, they are not neccesary, but it would be nice if it could be done. If not, I can always make additional changes to the current rooms.

I would welcome any additional artwork that you have. If used you would be given full credit as well as a cart.

Contest ends on the 15th. Is anyone working on something that will require an extension of the deadline?

Yes please. I am still working to understand the code. I am putting in a couple hours a day, but I need more time. How about extending to the 1st of Feb?

I have attached my partial disassembly so others can play around with it. All The graphics data and colors are labeled.

Cheers!

venture.txt.gz

Contest ends on the 15th. Is anyone working on something that will require an extension of the deadline?

Yes please. I am still working to understand the code. I am putting in a couple hours a day, but I need more time. How about extending to the 1st of Feb?

I have attached my partial disassembly so others can play around with it. All The graphics data and colors are labeled.

Cheers!

Deadline officially changed to Feb 1st.

I have managed to disassemble some more of the venture code. Here is my latest work. The attached file is zipped so you need to unzip it. Winzip for windows users, and gzip for UNIX and Linux users. Since the file originated on a Unix system, I recommend that Windows users after unzipping the file should open it in WordPad and save as a .txt file. That will fix any carriage return issues with the file.

Cheers!

venture.s.gz

BTW, the trademark on the word "Wolfenstein" for video games expired in 1996. Of course the recent titles including "Wolfenstein" from id software are trademarked, but the word "Wolfenstein" by itself is not. So it should be okay to use "Wolfenstein" as a title for this hack without raising legal hell.

Cheers

BTW, the trademark on the word "Wolfenstein" for video games expired in 1996.   Of course the recent titles including "Wolfenstein" from id software are trademarked, but the word "Wolfenstein" by itself is not.  So it should be okay to use "Wolfenstein" as a title for this hack without raising legal hell.

Cheers

Good news!! How did you confirm this?

BTW, the trademark on the word "Wolfenstein" for video games expired in 1996.   Of course the recent titles including "Wolfenstein" from id software are trademarked, but the word "Wolfenstein" by itself is not.  So it should be okay to use "Wolfenstein" as a title for this hack without raising legal hell.

Cheers

Go here:

http://www.uspto.gov/

Search for "Wolfenstein" in the Trademarks database.

Cheers

:thumbsup:

Looks clear to me. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally located the data and code related to doorways. Hopefully I can get it figured out later tonight, or maybe tomorrow. Who all is working on something for this contest? Just curious. I'll be happy to share my latest disassembly once I figure out how doors work. There are some weird things going on in this game.

Cheers!

Well I finally located the data and code related to doorways.  Hopefully I can get it figured out later tonight, or maybe tomorrow.  Who all is working on something for this contest?   Just curious.   I'll be happy to share my latest disassembly once I figure out how doors work.   There are some weird things going on in this game.    

Cheers!

I am! Yes, I'd be interested to see how the doorways operate, and also how you are doing with your additions of more zoomed- in rooms! You can PM the latest disassembly or LMK where I can link to it. Thanks.

With only a few more days left with this, I hope I can squeeze some time in to play around with the doorways and graphics, in between homework, classes, work, and Globetrotter updates!

Good luck! I'm anxious to see what you have added to the hack! :)

Weston 8)

Well I finally located the data and code related to doorways.  Hopefully I can get it figured out later tonight, or maybe tomorrow.  Who all is working on something for this contest?   Just curious.   I'll be happy to share my latest disassembly once I figure out how doors work.   There are some weird things going on in this game.    

Cheers!

I am! Yes, I'd be interested to see how the doorways operate, and also how you are doing with your additions of more zoomed- in rooms! You can PM the latest disassembly or LMK where I can link to it. Thanks.

With only a few more days left with this, I hope I can squeeze some time in to play around with the doorways and graphics, in between homework, classes, work, and Globetrotter updates!

Good luck! I'm anxious to see what you have added to the hack! :)

Weston 8)

If you or Robert M are on to something and need more time, I have no problem with extending the time. I will let the regular contest run out on time and will extend the $50 and copy of game offer for adding the ending screen(room) offer.

I look forward to seeing what magic you guys can work. :)

Here is my latest progress on disassembling Venture. I have the kernel all worked out, and the door logic. The collision detection logic is partially done. Once that is finished it just the monster movement logic that remains. Use Winzip or gzip to unzipped the attached files. The list file shows the address of each item in the left column, a handy thing to have for hacking graphics.

Please be aware, that the rooms must be symetrical at the point where P1 is repositioned within the room or you will see a glitch in the wall graphics. If you edit walls and see blocks missing or out of alignment, that is what is happening.

Neo, I still need a few days to a week to finish disassembling the code, then it will be time for anyone who wants to try and hack an end screen to go to work. I will post the completed disassembly when I have it. At that point I think you should truly begin the add-an-end-screen contest.

Cheers!

venture.2.asm.gz

venture.2.list.gz