IGNORED

Make a Better Wolfenstein Contest

neotokeo2001

The design a sprite part of the contest is now over. There are 2 winners:

1.mojofltr (AtariAge)

2.superstonic (Digital Press)

They will both be recieving a copy of VCS Wolfenstein when it is finished.

The second part of the contest is ongoing. Anyone who can add an ending room or screen will recieve a copy of VCS Wolfenstein and $50.

Any progress on adding the ending screen or room?

Just popping in long enough to respond. I've had precious little time to work on this( I'm writing a script for a short movie for my film class ). Maybe in a week, I'll have more time to make changes?

I hope Robert M. is having more luck with time, etc. His efforts on the Venture disassembly have been most helpful!

I'm still interested in contributing, but can't do so now.

Question: Did the sprite changing contest include playfield changes? Or is that still allowed if it is a result of modifying the game code for the " end-screen" portion of the contest?

Any progress on adding the ending screen or room?

Yes, but nothing to show you yet. I am still understanding the original code. I have found some funky things I need to understand to be able to add rooms. There is a connection between the P1 reuse point in each room and which sprite is the treasure. I haven't figured that all out yet. There is also something strange with the large Hall monster that appears if you stay in a room too long. Its not clear how the code knows which sprite is the large HM. Once I figure these things out, I will be ready to start hacking the code to add an end screen. Here is my overall plan.

1. Add a title screen "Wolfenstein"

2. Get rid of the existing rooms with 6 hall monsters where the player is the ball.

3. Delete the moving wall room, it takes lots of specialized code, and I would rather spend the space another way.

4. Create a total of 32 rooms, 8 per level for a total of 4 levels. There will be 8 treasures and 8 monsters that repeat each level. But 8 different rooms per level. Collect all 8 items to end a level. Finish 4 levels to complete the game. The game gets faster each level.

5. Monsters regenerate in a room until you get the item and successfuly exit the room (same as current game), but if you get the item the room does not lock you can enter it again, and it will be empty. The dreaded SS will arrive quickly however to drive you out.

6. Add an end screen.

------------- Things I hope to do but don't promise ---------------------

7. Add a random factor so that the door connections scramble each time you play creating a new maze of rooms.

8. Enemy shots?

9. Secrets? Hidden doors and such.

10. Make the dreaded SS start in a random corner of the room.

------------------------------

I will be setting the monster and treasure graphics to plain numbered boxes which you can then go in an edit to match the winning graphics entries.

How long? I am working on this 1 to 2 hours a day, and I feel it will take another month to complete.

Cheers!

Here is the current work in progress. The big room have been eliminated. Passing through a door picks a door in a zoomed room at random. Of course in the final version doors not be random. The moving walls room is messed up. Touching the item will kill you and a wall is missing. Best just to leave that room alone. More to come.

Enjoy!

wolf003.bin.gz

Here is the current work in progress.   The big room have been eliminated.  Passing through a door picks a door in a zoomed room at random.   Of course in the final version doors not be random.  The moving walls room is messed up.  Touching the item will kill you and a wall is missing.  Best just to leave that room alone.   More to come.

Enjoy!

Sounds Great!! For some reason my version of Unzip won't work.

Can someone upload a new zip file?

• 4 weeks later...

Just dropping a line to say that I am still working on adding an end screen. I am optimizing code to free up bytes. I have just over 60 bytes freed so far. Expect to see a playable image sometime next week.

I don't know if this is really a contest anymore. Is anyone else working on this? Maybe this thread should move to the Hacks forum?

Cheers!

Just dropping a line to say that I am still working on adding an end screen.  I am optimizing code to free up bytes.  I have just over 60 bytes freed so far.    Expect to see a playable image sometime next week.  

I don't know if this is really a contest anymore.  Is anyone else working on this?   Maybe this thread should move to the Hacks forum?

Cheers!

There is still a $50 prize to be claimed as well as a copy of the completed game. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is really a contest anymore.  Is anyone else working on this?   Maybe this thread should move to the Hacks forum?

Cheers!

I humbly bow out of the contest. Not enough time right now, plus Robert's work so far is amazing and I can't wait to see his finished version!

Maybe next time... 8)

Work in progress. Right now it looks a lot like venture. You will notice a door or 2 have moved, and a couple other differences. Your player moves 10% faster for example. All of these changes are to free up ROM. If any one can make this ROM behave badly please let me know. I believe it is stable. I am getting ready to hack in the title and end screens.

Cheers!

third.bin.gz

• 1 month later...