IGNORED

Assembly Language Programming for the Atari Computers

AssemblyLanguageBook.gifThe full text of the classic computer book Assembly Language Programming for the Atari Computers by Mark Chasin is now available at AtarArchives.org. Published in 1984, the book is one of the best introductions to Atari assembly language written. Chapters include graphics and sound, input/output, and machine language subroutines for use with Atari BASIC. Several other books about 6502 machine language are also available at AtariArchives.org, including the best-selling Machine Language For Beginners, Atari Roots, De Re Atari, and others.

Not a stupid question at all.

And yes, you can learn to program the 2600 with this book, along with the three other 6502 programming books at Atariarchives--Machine Language for Beginners, Atari Roots and The Second Book of Machine Language.

The uses of the instruction set and the different forms of addressing are the main things to learn from these books. Well binary and hexadecimal I've also picked up. I've only read MLB and half of Atari Roots so far.

But remember they will only teach you about the processor. For 2600 specific information such as the joy of cycle counting, creating playfields and such, Andrew Davie's forum on programming is the place to start. Also, join the [stella] mailing list and browse the archives there.

Thanks to everyone who made it possible to have these books online. 6502 books seem to be hard to come by.

Oh and I'm a newbie at 6502 programming, so any of experts, please correct me or elaborate if you can.